“Hospitality, Hospitality, Hospitality”

Ranked #2 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
L.I. New York
“Hospitality, Hospitality, Hospitality”
Reviewed January 22, 2006

I booked six rooms for myself and colleagues for a stay in Hollywood to attend a teacher's conference. I did this after consulting Tripadvisor, and I'd have to say that our experience was even better than the reviews. Darren, the Hotel Manager did his best to make us happy from booking through check-out. In fact, I left my luggage at the hotel and did not realize that it remained behind at the hotel. We were already at the airport, and it was too late to return to the hotel. After a call, Darren saved the day by delivering the bag to the airport himself-on his day off! The rooms were spacious, clean, and the bed was firm and like sleeping in my own. All of the desk personnel were friendly, concerned and consistently helpful(including shawn, ashley, gretchen, jason and stan). These people are so good at what they do that they should open a hospitality management school. The breakfast was very, very good -scones, croissants, wolfgang puck coffee, cereals and fresh fruit. We have traveled quite a bit (around the world), and I must say that this establishment is one of the best values out there. So, if you're planning a stay in Hollywood, strongly consider the Magic Castle!

7 Thank newmansgang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2006

My family stayed at the Magic Castle from 13 Jan to 17 Jan in a 2 bedroom suite overlooking the pool. The set out reminds you of Melrose Place with apartments overlooking the pool area. The 2 bed suite is very spacious with the most comfortable king size beds ever (on our 6 week trip). Our two children (9 and 6) loved the heated pool. Having a guest laundry (at reasonable cost) was a bonus especially when travelling for long periods. Okay this may not be five star in appearance but the cleanliness and staff outweigh any appearance factors. All staff (I mean all) were exceptional. They are extremely friendly and wealthly in knowledge of the Hollywood area for tourist facilities and restaurants. They cannot do enough for you. The complimentary breakfast was excellent as well. My family is use to cereal for breakfast and finally found a Hotel that supplied this. (We found American food a little hard to get use to.) I will absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. Our only disappointment was not going to the Magic Castle (no suit/tie packed) but having 3 TV's to cover everyones night time viewing needs helped us through. Do yourself a favour and visit this hotel. I certainly will be on a revisit to Los Angeles someday. Thank you Magic Castle Hotel you did not let us down. More information you can email us. The Graham Family.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank alwysluv2travel
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed December 8, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights during Thanksgiving week. The rooms are HUGE. (I think they were apartments previously ). Full kitchen, 2 TVS, DVD player. The bed was super comfotable - the best of any hotel I have ever stayed in. Plenty of storage space, lots or room for a family. Delicious continental breakfast (try the scones). The staff was very friendly and welcoming. This was our third stay in the Hollywood area - we would not stay anywhere else again. We found it to be very quiet at night.

• Stayed November 2005
13 Thank clr0524
Melbourne
Reviewed December 3, 2005

My family spent 3 nights in a Magic Castle self-contained suite in October 2005. From the moment we got there the staff were incredibly friendly, helpful, intelligent and funny, and this made our stay there an absolute delight. I chose this place for the price and because of the comments made on this website by other travellers who were so impressed with the service. The 2-bedroom suite more than met our needs (including 3 TV's, which set the kids in raptures!). The suites look out over the pool - most of the suites have balconies as well - and it was just a lovely cosy atmosphere. While we were loafing around the pool we were offered towels, free bottled water and even icy-poles! Breakfast is included in the price and consists of a good selection of cereals and juices, together with great coffee and fresh cakes and pastries. You can eat by the pool or take it back to your room while you read the complementary paper. As well as being terrific value for money, the location is excellent; one block from Hollywood Boulevard and one metro stop from Universal Studios. All the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, always. I have never stayed in a hotel where everybody was so good-humoured. On our last day we left our bags at reception before flying out later that day, and I was wondering what to do with a pair of Mickey Mouse ears that would probably get scrunched in transit. When we came back to collect our bags, Gretchen (front desk) had packed them in a separate box, with 2 polaroid photos of her and the office manager Mike modelling the ears. How cool is that!

13 Thank Hollybear
Midland, TX
Reviewed December 2, 2005

Very nice place to stay. Good location. Staff is very helpful and know all about the area.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank lindaabc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 28, 2005

My sisters and I stayed at the Magic Castle for our Hollywood getaway weekend after reading the reviews for it on the internet. We loved it and will not stay anywhere else if we ever get back to Hollywood. Mike Filson really knows how to pick his staff, as every person who worked there was friendly, helpful, and willing to do whatever it took to make our stay pleasurable. They took the time to counsel us on where to go, how to get there, and even helped us get the transportation we needed.
The rooms were spacious, and although the bathrooms were a little older, we never found that to be a problem. For those who like to cook, there is a kitchen in every room.
The hotel is within walking distance of Hollywood Boulevard and all the attractions there. We took taxis wherever we went, and rented a car for one day.
I highly recommend this hotel, if for nothing else, the excellent service always with a smile.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver CO
Reviewed November 21, 2005

We stayed here for over a week in Oct/Nov 2005. We were in town for a child's surgery so we actually spent a LOT of time in our room recovering. Our one bedroom suite held my wife and me, two boys (one and three) and two grandparents, with a roll away bed.

The bedroom was very spacious: big bedroom with a king size bed, great bedding, huge closets, big dresser, tv and room for our pack n play (traveling kids bed/playpen). The living room had a nice couch/bed, two chairs, footstools/coffee table, nice desk, armoire with tv, dvd player and lots of storage and plenty of room for the roll away bed. The kitchen was small but perfect with a fridge, microwave, oven and a nice dining table. The bathroom was big enough to give two toddlers baths(nuf said) and had nice towels. There was much more closet space in the entry and the hallway. We had a nice little porch that looked out onto Franklin Street and everything on Hollywood Blvd (Hollywood Walk of Fame, Manns Chinese Theatre, Kodak Theatre, El Capitan Theatre, Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood and Highland shopping). There were plenty of windows so the room was nice and light.

The staff is the reason we are coming back for the next surgery. They were friendly and helpful. They recommended grocery stores and restaurants. Any problem we had, they took care of (the complimentary wireless internet went goofy for a while). When we got back from surgery, they remembered our boy's name and talked to him and asked him how he was doing (he was up and about just hours after surgery).

Some on this site have nit-picked about the rooms. The nit-pickers may have been much happier at Howard Johnsons where all the rooms are exactly what you expect before you even step in. This place has character. The furniture is very IKEA. We had to do alot of child proofing. It's a little loud (it's in the middle of Hollywood, did you really think it was going to be dead silent?). We LOVED our room (#103 I think).

Parking was great. It's relatively cheap and we parked right in front of the door almost every time, all hours of the day and night. The parking garage is tight but works just fine if you can drive your car.

Turn down service is great. Breakfast is great. Laundry worked great. Pool looked great (didn't actually use it). Location is great. Staff is amazing.

If you go to LA to eat at TGIFriday's, don't stay here. If you go to LA to see LA, people watch, travel with family or just have fun, I can't recommend this place enough. It aint perfect but it's our LA home.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business