“Extremely friendly and nice!”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Houston, Texas
“Extremely friendly and nice!”
Reviewed October 7, 2005

We stayed at the Magic Castle hotel for five nights in October 2005.
Being a family of five, we were given a nice suite –but unfortunately with a roll out bed which wasn’t too good for our boys of 11 and 14. We asked in the reception if they had an extra mattress or any thing to make it more comfortable - and they immediately upgraded us to another and bigger suite, one with two bedrooms.

This is a very nice hotel – it is not big – you get the personal touch, you are remembered by name,- and the staff are extremely friendly. We were always given maps, good advices and help whenever we asked. Our favorite staff member, Gretchen –even lent us her own book to bring with us down-town! Relaxing at the pool one of the staff member came and offered complimentary ice cream or a relaxing towel for your face…… these small tings that make you remember your stay at this hotel!
Another great thing is the breakfast with smiling ladies who keeps bringing fresh croissant and juice …and of course; the complementary videos!

When reading about different hotels at www.tripadvisor.com I always look for the cleanliness – and YES – the magic castle hotel IS clean! The suit had a kitchen and I get a bit suspicious about “living creatures” in these arrangements… but no – everything was nice and clean.

We would without hesitation recommend all our friends to stay at the magic castle hotel
A very lovely hotel – and for the location; it couldn’t be better!!

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank Ducati40

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My Bride and I stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel in September of 2005. We were looking for sightseeing opportunities @ Venice Beach. Santa Monica Pier and Hollywood Blvd.- Walk of Fame, Grauman's Chinese Theatre...etc..
The hotel was 1 block off Hollywood Blvd. with great service from the staff and a tasty continental breakfast offerred each day. The Magic Castle Hotel is well kept , clean but has a small pool area ( which separate from its size met my need for cooling off after a day of hiking the streets of Hollywood and surrounding areas. The overall Room and Bed were clean and well kept but older, which lent some charm to the hotel. I liked the hotel and the service offerred from its staff and would easily recommend it to friends and family.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 1, 2005

I stayed at the Magic Castle based purely on the reviews on Trip Advisor.... and unfortunately it didnt match up to them. If you are the kind of person who values your sleep, dont stay here. However, if you like listening to the bathroom habits of complete strangers in the next room, or you like hearing every word of other guests conversations while youre lying in bed, or if you like being woken up every 5 minutes by slamming doors, TVs and children running around in the bedroom below, then this is definitely the place for you.

Having read other reviews saying this hotel should be a 5 star hotel, I can only assume that none of those reviewers have ever stayed in a decent 5 star hotel. The carpets were filthy, the kitchen was ill-equipped and we had a colony of spiders living on the living-room ceiling. Our toilet backed up and overflowed and when i contacted reception to ask for help, no one came. When I called again, I got told that the member of staff Id spoken to had forgotten about it.

There were one or two staff who were helpful but no more than I would expect from a hotel. My boyfriend was really unwell at the time and he needed peace, quiet and rest so I ended up spending a day searching for alternative accomodation in LA.

When we told the staff that the noise in the bedroom of our suite was intolerable, they couldnt understand as that was supposed to be the quite part of the hotel!!

We would never stay there again. If youre a noisy person with noisy kids, maybe your own noise would drown out that of everyone else. If youre a quiet couple looking for a romantic get-away with privacy - forget it.

5 Thank Yafeagirl
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 25, 2005

My wife and I recently went to L.A. for a wedding and to visit our daughter. With all the rave reviews of the Magic Castle Hotel, how could we not try it? We arrived there in the evening with high expectations, but we were quickly disappointed. The carpeting in our room had numerous holes like cigarette burns (it turned out that these were dark spots). The next morning we debated about complaining to the management. After some hesitancy, we decided that management should know that our experience was not consistent with the reviews that we had read. After all, we were going to be there for three more nights. We started wondering whether the reviews were written by real guests of the hotel.

We addressed the carpet problem with the person at the front desk. She was very understanding and offered to place us in another comparable room. However, this room was near the street, and we did not want to risk the possible noise. So we decided to stay put and thought that was the end of it.

As we were enjoying our breakfast at poolside, we were approached by the general manager. He apologized and offered us further assistance. He indicated that another room was opening up that morning. A little later that morning he gave us the key for this newly vacated room. Were we surprised! The room was enormous with a full kitchen, dining area, living room, etc. Besides this free upgrade, he advised us that the first night would be deducted from our bill.

With large smiles upon our faces, we promptly moved over our luggage to our new luxury suite. We then went back to the pool for swimming and sunbathing. Upon our return to the suite, we found a beautiful bouquet of flowers from a florest with a note apologizing for the inconvenience from the general manager. This was astonishing! Where do you get such service from a hotel?

The remainder of our stay there could not have been better. The location is 2 blocks from Grauman's Theater and other tourist sites, as well as the subway that we took to Olvera St. The pool was refreshing with staff members bringing out popsicles and cool towels. The staff members were incredible - from helping with directions to caring for our every needs. The general manager was awesome and went over the top in making sure that we were satisfied. Would we stay there again? In a heartbeat. For us, the Magical Hotel was magical!

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank lawmitch
London
Reviewed September 21, 2005

Three guys. All from London. Stayed at Magic Castle off the reviews from this site.

My god were they right.

Jason, Gretchen, Amy and the others were SO SO helpful and friendly that it is quite unbelievable.

The hotel was magical and I will go as far to say it was my best ever hotel experience.

The only worry I have of putting in a good review is that they will think 'hmm, maybe we shouldn't be a 2 star hotel' and jack up the prices for the future... If I go back to LA, this is where I will stay cos the location on Franklin is perfect and the rooms are delicious.

Stayed September 2005
3 Thank crouchhill
Portsmouth, UK
Reviewed September 21, 2005

I had the pleasure of a 4 day whirlwind visit to the Magic Castle, so, naturally, I stayed in the Magic Castle Hotel.
From the first minute of arrival, to the last minute of check out, I was treated like a Lord.

Impeccable friendly service from EVERY member of staff. A big shout out to Gretchen and Ashley at Reception for the countless complimentary lifts up the hill to my room, and for patiently answering all my questions!

If visiting L.A, you MUST say here.........PERIOD.

Thank you all. I shall return, I promise.

Darren Lawbuary
United Kingdom

magicdaz@yahoo.com

4 Thank DarrenLawbuary
maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2005

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel from September 7th to the 9th and liked it. I would not give my stay five stars because our room had ant problems and it also had an odor which was strange. The staff took care of the ant problem immediately but the odor was there to stay. Bathrooms need a little updating.

Overall my stay was comfortable and the staff were very well-informed about what to do in the surrounding neighborhoods. The staff also had an anniversary cake for my parents which was very thoughtful.

Also, it looks as if this hotel was an apartment and was converted into a hotel. May be that is why I thought that the ambience was o.k. But I would definitely recommend it to people who are looking for excellent staff and a central location in hollywood.

2 Thank shazqazi