“The Magic Continues at Magic Castle”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“The Magic Continues at Magic Castle”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Ok, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to accommodation but that said I will try anything at least once so I can make an informed decision. I had read so many reviews about this property so was very keen to check it out.

The location in Hollywood is perfect - so close to everything and as I like to walk it suited my needs.

I cannot compliment the hotel staff highly enough. More often than not so many business' do not realise that their staff are their best assets. At Magic Castle every staff member we came across was professional, helpful and most importantly genuinely friendly. We adored them all. Gretchen, you have an amazing team at Magic Castle Hotel - your staff really are the ones who make the magic happen by ensuring their guests are well looked after. Congratulations! Sadly, it's not often I have such high praise for staff who work in customer service roles as unfortunately many of them are just there for the money with no or little interest in customer service at all but I am so pleased to say at Magic Castle this was not the case. We felt like Princess' every day.

Continental breakfast every day was substancial and it was lovely to enjoy this around the pool area and chat with other guests as well. Our room was a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 queen size beds in the bedroom so plenty of room for us to have time to ourselves without getting underneath each others feet.

If I had to be picky my only suggestion would be regrout the bathroom and do it up entirely. It was very outdated and a bit on the tacky side (yes I did wear my flip flops in the shower the first night). I do think the cleanliness of the place was up to scratch and house keeping did a fine job it was just because the bathroom was so old it gave the appearance of not being clean but again that's just the germaphob in me coming out and yes I did give it a wipe down with my antibacterial wipes as well but honestly there are so many other positives for staying at this hotel such as the unlimited supply of snacks and who can forget the fresh, cold and welcoming cucumber water we could help ourselves to each day. There is also a laundry service but we only found out about that the day of departure when we overheard check in staff telling new guests. We didn't utilise the pool but many other guests did and were really enjoying themselves.

Whilst there are no elevators the night we arrived a lovely gentleman helped us with our bags to our rooms. For the time we were in house we did not experience staff being unhelpful, in fact they went out of their way to be as courteous as possible and we thoroughly loved our stay and would come back again. Thank you so much Monica, Nick, Bri, Kevin, Gretchen and all the team for making us feel so welcomed :0)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank TvlBug67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lismore, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Great place to stay.. kids loved it.. beautiful rooms. .comfortable bed and linen... free snacks and drinks were a bonus... staff were really friendly and helpful. .. will definitely be going back there ....

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank keryn2015
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Friendly staff, who are genuinely happy to help. Nothing is too much hassle. Good location close to Hollywood , Universal etc. large size apartments. Great if travelling with young children. We arrived 7 hours before check in (due to flight times) and they were very accommodating , providing us with breakfast, coffees and allowing us to use the pool whilst they prepared our room early for us. Very impressed .

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Goodservicehunter
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in need of renovation and after paying nearly £400 for 3 nights I presumed we had paid for the location rather then quality.
The air con units are noisy and old. The carpets are torn, brown and dirty. The showers in the room were old and water spurting everywhere, the taps squeaked when turned on.
Towels were changed daily and soap, shower cap, sewing kit, body lotion, shampoo and conditioner were all provided. The stench from the drains in the bathroom was horrendous.
The maid obviously doesn't hoover under the bed or the drawers. The room was small but the bed and pillows were comfortable. There are coat hangers in the wardrobe and an alarm clock.
An iron and board were also provided in the room as well as well as a safe.
The location is ideal for 'the walk of fame', and all the other Hollywood attractions. Also ideal for Universal Studios which is only 1metro stop away. Tickets worked out at $8 for 2 of us return, you can't buy return tickets for some reason?? You have to buy one way then one way back. Beware of people asking if you want help using the machines, we thought they worked at the station but they were wanting tips for helping, told them to do one!!
Walking distance to the centre is about 5 minutes. Lots of places to eat, see and do. The beaches are a distance away, and so is Beverley Hills. We had a car so it was handy. Venice beach is about 20 minutes in good traffic and was hectic so did not stop as it was July 4th and a holiday in the US. Parking was expensive down there as well about $25 a day.
The pool in the hotel looked dirty and we never saw it being cleaned so did not go in it, there is no shower around the pool and the paths around were never cleaned. Also the sun around the pool disappeared quite early so not ideal if you want a tan. There is a pool at the top of the hill near the Japanese restaurant but the hill is quite steep going up there, we were not told about this until a day later. It's really nice, clean???? Didn't go!! A lift is available if you ask at reception to take you up there.
The breakfast is good but the tablecloths are just thrown on, they are black, old and un ironed. Cereal, fruit, toast, cakes, fruit juice, coffee with flavoured syrups to add to your drinks like, caramel, vanilla etc were available. Crisps, chocolate, nuts, cans of pop etc were all complimentary but you had to ask for them at reception. There is a fridge in the room, the cheapest place to buy booze from is the pharmacy believe it or not. We bought a bottle of Whisky and got the coke, lemonade from reception which you can drink around the pool at night and socialise.
The hotel will do your washing for you but beware we had a few things ruined and left this information on our comments card that we left at the reception when we checked out along with my email address but no one has been in contact to date. You are able to do your own washing at the hotel but only dryers available to dry your washing unless you get a room with a balcony to dry your clothes on. Just need to provide your own washing powder.
There are no elevators at this hotel. Cars can be securely parked under the hotel at a cost of $11 a day plus tax and you are given a card so that you can get your car out as and when you need it. We did this and took ourselves around Beverley Hills, Hollywood etc at our own leisure., saving on the tours.
Overall the hotel is dated, dirty and in desperate need of renovation. I would only choose this hotel for the location.
Top Tip........choose somewhere else in he vicinity

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Scorpio40
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Scorpio40,
I was reading your comment card just today in fact and was absolutely planning to contact you.
A lot of your review had to with your experience in Los Angeles, so for the purpose of my response, I want to focus on the issues you had with our hotel.
I was so sorry read about your experience at our hotel. I was surprised that you found our hotel to be dirty, both in your room and in the public areas. Cleanliness is our highest priority, rooms are vacuumed every day, all public areas are attended to and cleaned every single day. I will say that our pool did have a chemical imbalance for approximately 36 hours and we did everything in our power to remedy the issue as quickly as possible. It is now back to being crystal clear.
Most of our rooms are actually One and Two Bedroom Suites, which are enormous. The room you were in is one of seven small “Single” rooms. If there is an issue with the plumbing in that room, we will address it and remedy the issue immediately, as we do.
It is true, you do have to ask for the free snacks you wish to have. We stock approximately 30 items, including a variety of sodas, chocolates, chips, candies, pretzels, popcorn, granola bars, and more. Our guests can pick them up from the front desk or we will deliver them to your room. There is absolutely no charge for these items, 24 hours a day. I’m glad we were able to assist in making your “in-room bar”. That was very smart to go to a local store for the whiskey.
With regard to our free laundry service. You are correct in that we will pick up your laundry, wash it, dry it, fold it, wrap it in butcher paper, and put a sprig of lavender on it. We then return it to your room, and there is absolutely no charge for this. Yes…we have dryers to dry our guests’ clothes. If ever a guest would like something hung to dry or any other special request with their laundry, it’s no problem at all. We would actually prefer that guests do not hang their clothes over their balcony as you suggested. You mentioned that we ruined a few pieces of your clothing and that you left this information on a comment card. I would have loved to have had an opportunity to fix or make right, any garments that we damaged while you were at the hotel. We will always follow any special washing instructions given by our guests. Should a guest wish to do their own laundry, we do offer complimentary washing powder.
I think our guests, in general, feel our hotel is an excellent value. We do not tack on a “resort fee” at the end of your stay as many hotels now do. Yes, we have a great location and huge family suites, but we don’t rest on that. We include so much with the rate such as; the free snacks I mentioned, the continental breakfast (our pastries are delivered fresh each morning from one of the best bakeries in Los Angeles and includes chocolate chip cherry scones, apricot ginger scones, banana muffins, blueberry muffins, croissants, and more). We also include Wi-Fi, Premium On Demand channels such as HBO and Showtime…and free on demand for kids, A DVD library with over 100 movies to borrow at no charge, turndown service every night, popsicles served out by the pool, and more. We really want people leaving feeling as though they received a good value and I’m really sorry that wasn’t the case for your stay.
Our hotel is an older building. We are not a five star hotel. That said, we are obsessed with service and want our all of our guests to leave feeling that their stay with us was one of the best customer service experiences they’ve received. I will personally address the housekeeping issues that you mentioned.
Thank you for your comments.

edinburgh
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Spent two nights in a two bedroom apartment with two friends. Great experience. The staff were so friendly and helpful. A huge list of complimentary food. Also you you could choose a DVD to watch from an extensive list...we chose but didn't have time to watch it!
Huge huge plus was the free laundry service. Laundry came back fresh and ironed.
So close to all attractions

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you so much for writing about your experience! I'm so glad you liked the movies, snacks, and the free laundry service. There is just something about going home with all clean clothes and having had someone else do it for you! Please come back and see us again soon!

Sincerely
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I arrived at The Magic Castle, for the 2nd leg of a celebratory trip for my sister. She recently celebrated her 18th birthday, a graduate from HS, and awaiting entry in Albany State. I had mentioned to Monica L. (now working with the General Manager) of the celebratory events and she stated they'd do something special for her. I prepaid for our room a few days before our arrival, so that was taken care of and out the way. When we arrived, Bree was so very helpful in helping us check-in. She was aware to give us a map of the attractions along Hollywood Blvd and offered any assistance if it was needed. She checked us into our room, 114.

Kevin then came out and gave us the greatest greeting I have ever received....EVER upon check-in. His welcome was very sincere and genuine. He informed us of the list of movies that were available to us, as well as the tasty snacks that were readily available. We joked with him about the list of movies as some of the sequels were missing (ex. They had Toy Story and Toy Story 3, but were missing Toy Story 2). He also gave us each a glass of sparkling lemonade, which was a great touch! We went to take our luggage and he pretty much argued us down....just kidding....in bringing our luggage to our room. We kindly obliged and went ahead to our room.

Upon entering the room, you got a real "homely" feel. There was light music playing from the alarm clock/iPod player and on the nightstand were a tray of Red Velvet cupcakes with a card from the Magic Castle Hotel staff congratulating my sister on her graduation. That was such a sweet thought and the cupcakes were definitely yummy! I had requested a shower instead of the shower/tub combo and they gave me just that. The room was quaint and decent in size. I did hit my shin a few times on the edge of the bed, but nothing to complain about. The bed was extremely comfy, yet the only improvement I'd offer is to have firmer pillows. It was like placing your head on play-dough! Lol....

The breakfast in the morning was simplistic, but filling. There were mini muffins, croissant's, cereal, yogurt, instant oatmeal, fruit, coffee, tea, and juice. We only had breakfast once during our stay as the other mornings we were out during breakfast or got to breakfast too late after sleeping in. Breakfast is over at 10am. The snacks are endless and regardless of who was at the front desk, they were happy to obliged my late night cravings!

A MAJOR help while we were there was a suggestion by Monica C. in using the Uber app for car service. Boy wasn't that helpful and she gave me a coupon for $20 off my first ride, which definitely came in handy. We used the Uber app to go every where from the California Science Center to Six Flags Magic Mountain and the rates were VERY reasonable. The rates were even MORE reasonable once I searched for other discounts and promotions, as per suggestion by Monica C.

The hotel is located a block from all the action of Hollywood Blvd and its attractions and the walk from Hollywood Blvd after midnight in no way caused my sister and I to feel threatened. The free laundry service is excellent! We didn't have the privilege of having our laundry placed on our beds with lavender sticks as I've read in previous reviews, yet we had to pick it up from the front desk, as we were leaving for a 6:30am flight and was being picked up by shuttle service at 4:00am.

This hotel is NOT a luxury hotel with tons of floors. It is a quaint walk up hotel with SUPERB customer service!!! If I ever decided to make my way to Hollywood again, I'd definitely choose the Magic Castle Hotel as my place to stay! Great job staff of Magic Castle... Keep doing an AMAZING job!

Room Tip: Excellent Customer Service, Free Laundry Service, Free Snacks, and a Great Location! What more could...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DayDreaMer875
Wow....thank you for the Amazing, Amazing, AMAZING review of our hotel!
I'm so glad your sister had a great graduation celebration with us.
We are very lucky to have Bree, Kevin, and the two Monicas!
Yes, the free movies are fun....we're in Hollywood...we have to have a lot of movie options.
As you mentioned, breakfast is over at 10am....however for the readers out there, we're happy to hold it open longer for you ORwe'll get you anything you need long after the breakfast goes away.
Please come back and see us again soon!!!

Sincerely
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Our family stayed her for three nights and it really was just a wonderful experience. Mallory greeted us upon arrival with champagne flutes of lemonade for us all and Monica did a little "welcome dance" for the kids! It was made very clear that they would do everything they could to make our stay enjoyable and they certainly didn't disappoint. The free snacks and sodas "No limits and no judgements" were a huge hit with the kids and I have never encountered such friendly service anywhere. Our room/apartment was enormous and quirky and although it was a tad dated, we were very happy with it. When our (free!!!) laundry was returned beautifully wrapped with lavender, I knew we had struck gold. There is even a computer at reception for guests that is available 24 hours a day with no password required. It really is a little oasis in an amazing location, just a short walk from Hollywood Bvld, with all its attractions. Loved, loved, loved - fantastic for families. Don't be tempted by larger 5 star hotels - stay here - you will not regret it.

Room Tip: I think we had room 214 - it was huge with 2 bedrooms and a sofa bed - ideal for families.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kirsty C
Kirsty C,

Thank you so much for writing a review. I was very happy to read that you "loved loved loved it":)
Mallory and Monica are great! A Welcome Dance??? I have to see this!!
I'm glad you enjoyed our "no limit...no judgment" snacks...and it's true.
I'm also glad you took advantage of our free laundry service! Why should YOU have to do laundry on your vacation, when you can have us do it and go home with all clean clothes??? I realize you can't actually answer me.......but I know the answer.
Please come back and see us again soon!