“very helpful staff.”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel, it is so close to public transport and the Hollywood Blvd. The staff are so helpful, they were the best part about staying at the hotel.The rooms are clean and a great size for a family, also very quiet the breakfast every morning was fantastic.The only thing that they might want to fix would be the fold out bed,the kids had a really uncomfortable sleep, to the point my 18 year old daughter shared the main bed with us and our son made a bed from the cushions off the lounge. But that wasn't a major issue,I just think the mattresses might need an up grade on the fold out bed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Renee C
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much.

I would very much appreciate you contacting me directly so I can replace a sleeper sofa mattress. These are easy for us to replace. We do buy extra thick mattresses for the sofas that are 3-4" thick.

Thank you very much for the feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely
Darren@magiccastlehotel.com

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Our family of 3 stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel a Thursday through Saturday. I can't say enough about the hotel and hospitality. We were celebrating our daughter's 10th birthday. Upon arrival, we discovered a birthday cake and a birthday card signed by the staff! The staff was super attentive. We were offered unlimited snacks and a wide selection of pretty good movies to borrow as there is no tv service. Wi Fi is free. Breakfast which consisted of scones, toast, muffins, cereals, juices, coffee was free of charge. We stayed in the Junior Suite which has two queen size beds a decent size kitchen, and bath.Very clean, roomy and comfortable. A great view of the pool, which was heated and a decent size (3ft to 8ft). The area was safe and the hotel has gated parking. The location is perfect...walking distance to Chinese Theatre, Wax Museum, Hollywood Blvd. CVS is just 10 minute walk. The reason we stayed here was because it is the only way of gaining access to the Magic Castle (located next door) if you are not a member or are invited as a guest by a member ...which was fantastic by the way! In any case, I would recommend this hotel regardless of whether you want to visit the castle. The whole experience was excellent to say the least. Affordable, comfortable, convenient, clean and excellent Customer Service. Can't ask for more! You seriously will not find this type of care anywhere else. Love love love The Magic Castle Hotel!

2  Thank Marceline2004

Hi,
I'm so glad your daughter had a nice 10th birthday with us!
I just wanted to clear up one thing with regard to your comment about us not having TV. We do have TV. In fact, we not only have a huge variety of channels to choose from, we also have free On Demand Premium Channels. This includes On Demand HBO, ShowTime, Starz, and some On Demand Network TV as well. It's possible a setting was changed on your TV and I'm so sorry if that was the case.
At least you enjoyed some movies. I do hope you will see us again soon. Please let me know personally if you are coming back.
Thank you so much for writing a review.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a brilliant location, walking distance from some of Hollywood's best spots. The customer service was also great - we had one issue while we were staying, which they cleared up really quickly. The rooms are somewhat outdated, and the hotel isn't 5* luxury, but it doesn't pretend to be. But if you want a great location and friendly staff, this is the place to come.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Clean, super friendly and helpful staff, nice pool, spacious apartment-like suite. Kids loved the free treats and breakfast was simple, but good. Room and pool area very quiet despite city location. Walk to a hike in nearby Runyon Canyon Park and a few blocks from the Metro. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for writing a review.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel. Yes....kids tend to love our 24 hour complimentary snack list!! The idea of being able to ask for chocolates, candies, sodas, chips, popcorn, granola bars, and more and have it not cost anything...is very fun!

I'm also happy you liked the breakfast. It is simple as you wrote. It is a complimentary Continental Breakfast which includes pastries delivered fresh each morning from one of L.A.'s best bakeries (croissants, chocolate chip sour cherry scones (my favorite), apricot ginger scones, blueberry scones, banana muffins, blueberry muffins, bran muffins. Plus we have a variety of cold cereals, a variety of yogurt, fruit, bread for toast, juice, coffee, tea. It's a good start to the day and the quality of the pastries is pretty amazing.

Thank you again. Please come back and see us.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I don't get away much from our three children but when we do there is no place I would rather stay. This was our 4th time staying at the Magic Castle Hotel and I didn't think they could surprise us, but again, they exceeded our expectations. We checked in late Saturday afternoon and the staff, as always was so welcoming. We had tickets for the book of Mormon Sunday evening so we had an entire day to spend in LA. I returned to the front desk to ask for dinner suggestions and was greeted by my first name and the two wonderful and eager to help employees suggested a wonderful restaurant. After dinner we returned and took advantage of the hotel's FREE mini bar. It still excites us the variety of goodies that they have available. The next morning we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast pool side. They still had my favorite scones and as a coffee snob I thoroughly enjoyed their coffee. My husband I think ate his weight in their fresh croissants. After breakfast we asked about late checkout and again they were happy to accommodate. Thank you so much for making our time away so special and treating us like we were royalty.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank juliagold1

Hi Julia Gold,

You keep coming back! Thank you so much. I know who you are.
I hope you liked the musical "Book of Mormon", I heard it was very funny. Thank you again for returning again and again. We'll always have your scones!!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My family of 4 ( 2 Adults and 2 Children) stayed at the Magic Castle for 6 nights mid April. This Hotel is by far one of the best family orientated hotels that we have ever stayed in. The hotel is not 5 star in luxury, but it does not claim to be either.
The willingness of the staff to offer assistance is amazing. On our first night we were doing laundry when a staff member offered to do it for us, I think she was actually disappointed that we told her we would do it ourselves. It is obvious that all the staff must really enjoy assisting their guess. The photos are accurate and the 1 bedroom suites/apartments are a great size for a family of four. My children are not shy and really made full use of the snacks, not matter how many times they visited the front desk their sugar fix was satisfied. On our last night they even arranged to order us Chinese, the food was excellent and very large serves too. The hotel also were more than happy to accept a package prior to our arrival and had it ready at reception for our collection. Thank you Magic Castle, we will most definitely recommend you to all.

1  Thank Mandy W
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is one of life’s big mysteries: HOW can this hotel be placed as the number 1 in ALL of Los Angeles?
I do not get it? Out of a total of 1805 people – 1275 has rated this as excellent – Normally I trust Tripadvisor reviews very much and when booking this hotel, I properly did not look at the bad reviews enough, because I thought that so many people cannot be wrong.
To start with the positive: Location is good, a 5 minute from “walk of fame” in the middle of Hollywood.
Another very positive thing: Staff was very helpful.
If this is all you need to rate a hotel as Excellent – this is the hotel for you.
For me, this is not enough to rate a hotel as excellent, the following was missing:
I would like a clean room, maybe it was, but it did not feel like it. The room we got was old, dusty and the carpet dirty/stained.
Front door had a fairly big gap between frame and door and no extra lock, this did not feel secure to me.
Noise from the street, we tried to change room, but were told this was not possible as we were a family of 5, so nothing big enough left for us.
This hotel needs a big renovation.
I was very much looking forward to staying at this hotel as it had so high rating on Tripadvisor, so I was very disappointed to find out this was just an old dusty hotel with a great location.
I will never stay again and I will not recommend this to anyone.

6  Thank olchju
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Olchju,

Thank you for writing about your experience. I was very sorry to read that you traveled all the way from Luxembourg and didn't enjoy your room at our hotel. I know exactly which room this is and we've reviewed our housekeeping records. This room was set aside for a "deep clean" on April 9th. That stain you refer to is gone and I'm so sorry it was there for your stay. We have an aggressive carpet cleaning rotation at the hotel and frequently replace carpet as needed. Although you stated that maybe the room was clean, but didn't "feel" clean, we take responsibility for that. It should "feel" clean too.

With regard to security and your door not having an extra lock. Your door is of course automatically locked from the outside, but also has a deadbolt for added security. The main door to the hotel lobby is locked at night and is accessible by room key. Our front desk is staffed 24 hours a day along with a security officer at the hotel every night. Guest safety is extremely important to us.

You stated how many people have reviewed our hotel as "excellent" and are surprised by it. Many of the reviews rated as "excellent" do mention that this is not a 5-star hotel. Contributors often state that it's an older building and not to expect luxury. This is usually balanced with comments on our unusual approach to service. Our guests are generally are very pleased and even enthusiastic about the service and overall experience with us.

We would have happily moved you to another room, had we had one available. The specific room type you had is one of only five. This was a 1-Bedroom Suite with two beds in the bedroom. We really want to make every guest extremely happy. I promise we would have moved you if we could.

I know you mentioned that you would never return, however I would love for you to return so I can personally see that you have a better experience. Please feel free to contact me directly.