“Honeymoon stay”

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Honeymoon stay”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay here. We were greeted with big smiles and a beautiful congratulations cake in our room and a card signed by all the staff. From unlimited snacks, free DVDs, restaurant menu's to order in and your laundry washed and brought to your room, the staff here continued to go above and beyond for us. The room/apartment could have used a bit of maintenance and was starting to look tired but the size was huge (a nice break from staying in small hotel rooms) and the furniture was really comfortable.

This place provides great value for money and the best service I have ever received ( we only stay 5 star usually). Great for families or couples. Thanks to all the staff!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Regine K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for our second time and loved it again. The staff are some the best of any hotel I've stayed at, they are so welcoming and helpful. We stayed in one of the two bedroom suites this time, and although the location of the room itself wasn't as convenient as when we stayed in the deluxe queen room, the room itself made up for it. It was a lovely apartment, beautifully furnished with a lovely window overlooking the garden and street. I could live there! This time around we go to go to the Magic Castle itself, which was one of the highlights of not only this US trip but my life! Do not overlook it! I'll never go to LA and not stay at the Magic Castle for at least a night!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Samserena
Sydney, Aus
Reviewed January 22, 2014

A lot has already been said about the quality of the staff and service but for me this was a real highlight. Arriving early in the morning after a long flight the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. And I am pleased to stay this continued throughout the stay. The location is great and for a family, the two bedroom apartment was a great option. Plenty of room and good layout. Is it a modern, luxury hotel... no but it is clean and well appointed. The breakfast is simple but more than adequate and as other have said, the free snacks a nice bonus. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MHJB
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My partner and I ended our North America trip in Los Angeles by spending 2 nights at the Magic Castle Hotel.

We hired a rental car with GPS and it is about 20-30 minutes from LAX to the hotel (dependent on traffic). The hotel has secure onsite parking (opens with the keycard) which is $11 per day exclusive of taxes.

It is in West Hollywood, VERY close to the Chinese Theatre and Dolby Theatre and there is a grocery store near by too.

Upon arrival we were treated with a glass of lemon squash I think and they remembered it was my birthday (nearly my birthday). When I got to my room I found a box and a birthday card which was signed by all the staff and inside the box was a small chocolate cake. That was really thoughtful and heartwarming.

That night we had a dinner reservation for the Magic Castle next door which was organised by the staff at the hotel and is free to hotel guests and includes a magic show which was spectacular. If you want valet parking it is $10 but we didn't need it. Since it was for my birthday I got a badge with my name and a complimentary champagne and dessert and my waiter even sang happy birthday to me.

The room was kind of run down, which isn't a big issue for me but it was evident especially the shower. They provide the normal hygiene products and also mouth rinse which was a surprise as I am a dental student. They have a in-room safe and mini refrigerator which you can store your items in and then you have your complimentary snacks from the front desk which is awesome as this saves a lot of money compared to those hotels which charge ridiculous prices for items in the mini bar. There is a bottle of Fuji water for $4 in the room though and there's no actual complimentary water bottles but if you request water in a paper cup then the front desk are more than willing to get it for you otherwise just go to the grocery store where you can get 4L bottles of water for a decent price.

We got turn down service, which is an extra bonus as I have the next day's weather forecast in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. Though we didn't get turn down service on our last night which was odd.

Location wise, it's close to most things (if you have a car) but it is at least 45 minutes away from Disneyland which is in Anaheim (traffic is bad in LA so let's say at least an hr or more) but it is very close to Universal, however we decided to go to Universal on our last day as our flight wasn't until late evening and left Universal at 4.30pm but didn't arrive to LAX until 6.30-7.00pm due to LA traffic! Luckily our flight time changed to an hr later so we had ample time for check-in and wondering.

We didn't get to try the pool, I recall it being heated or the complimentary laundry service as we weren't there for long enough. Or even the bath robes which are supplied in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jenguyen
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Magic Castle on our first visit to the LA area. We chose this hotel based upon Tripadvisor reviews and they were accurate. The hotel is located within a five minute walk from most of the famous tourist attractions located on Hollywood Blvd. and a ten minute drive (depending upon traffic) from Universal Studios. The hotel while not new is clean and well maintained. We have stayed in a lot of hotels/motels in our day and the staff of the Magic Castle was the by far the most cordial, helpful staff we have ever experienced. Special thanks to Gretchen and the Nicks.

The courtyard and pool offered a nice place to wind down after a busy day of sightseeing. Our children especially enjoyed the free snacks and the heated pool. We will be recommending the Magic Castle to any of our family and friends who plan on visiting L.A. In the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom S
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Great little hotel within one block of Hollywood Blvd. Staff was fantastic as were spacious rooms. Very clean and comfortable. Highly recommend for a moderate priced hotel. Kids loved the heated pool and free snacks. Good continental breakfast too!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank fyiStrongsville
Sydney
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Magic Castle was perfect for our family 2 adults and 4 kids 6,9,11,12. The room was spacious, 2 good sized bedrooms, large lounge area, kitchen, separate dining and bathroom, plus plenty of storage space for all our luggage. The room was modernised and clean, plenty of natural light. A lovely place to rest after a days sightseeing. The staff were second to none the most friendliest young bunch of people I have ever come across, so hospitable they really made this place. Free snack bar long list to choose from - chocolates, chips, drinks available anytime, plus get this FREE laundry. I thought that was exceptional given we were a family of 6 and were on a 5 week holiday. Parking cost a $11 per day but we had the convenience and a small price to pay in the scheme of things. Location is excellent, just a walk down the street and you find yourself on Hollywood Blvd right where all the action is. Short drive to Rodeo Drive, Hollywood sign vantage point and Farmers Markets. I was very impressed with Magic Castle particularly the service. It's an old 50's apartment block think Florida in the 50's, yellow exterior with blue and white shutters (cute), rooms have been renovated so don't be expecting brand new or plush but clean and so family friendly. Recommend this hotel 100%.

Room Tip: Perfect for large families.