“SIMPLY AMAZING STAFF” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sydney, Australia
“SIMPLY AMAZING STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My 3 kids and I recently started our 4 week trip to the US at the Magic Castle Hotel. We had a car and apart from finding it difficult to actually know where to park whilst checking in (signage could be better) once we got over that we had an amazing time at this hotel. The staff were nothing short of exceptional providing us with a travel adaptor and endless snacks and advice about getting around (to/from Universal etc). Thanks Darren for the great "day trip" that you suggested. The lunch at Paradise Cove was fantastic and my kids loved the frozen yoghurt place you recommended. Fantastic!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda D
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hi Linda,

I loved meeting you and your kids! I was actually wondering if you ended up going to the yoghurt place and Paradise Cove. I'm so glad your kids like the yoghurt place (so do mine). I'll have to recommend that route more often...it's a good day trip.

Thank you so much for staying with us!! Please come back and see us again soon. Between now and then....I'll think of a new day trip for you and the kids.

Darren Ross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Magic Castle Hotel, we had heard so many great things about this place and were not disappointed. We were given a suite with a balcony, overlooking the pool: our room faced east which meant some pretty brutal morning sunshine, but by late afternoon and evening the balcony was just perfect for relaxing on. The staff were all amazing, friendly and professional and possessed a lot of useful local knowledge, regarding restaurants, attractions, and which sections of the LA freeways to avoid at which times! Location great also, an easy walk to Hollywood Blvd and surrounds. We also enjoyed the free snacks from reception along with the complimentary breakfast (toast, muffins, cereals, fruit etc.). They also had a tube of Vegemite placed next to the toaster at breakfast - so good! During our stay, the staff organised a dinner reservation for us at the actual Magic Castle (located uphill, behind the hotel) - this was one of the most fun nights of our life! This place can be difficult to gain access to, but you can visit there if you're a guest of the hotel. I can't recommend this hotel enough!

Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The team at the Magic Castle are possible some of the best hoteliers I've met. Their efforts to make sure that you have a great stay are second to none. I've stayed here two times and both times the staff made every effort to keep us happy. However.. The hotel looks a little tired, to the point of nasty stains on carpets, scuffs on the wall, worn furniture and questionable grime around bathroom windows. Our room was generally clean, but there were obvious signs that hundreds of people had stayed there before, and some had left their mark. At the moment the levels of service from the team, outweigh the tiredness of the hotel... just, but it's a very close run thing. As time goes on, I'm not sure if highlights like lemonade when you check in, ice lollies by the pool and the 'free' snacks are worth living with dirty carpets and well worn furniture.

Room Tip: The small rooms are very very small, not really big enough for 2 people. Get a suite.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear PaulOB,

Thank your for writing your review of your experience at Magic Castle Hotel. While I'm very happy you returned to us and still love the level of service, I was very sorry to read your comments regarding the room itself. If you wouldn't mind, please contact me directly. I would love to know exactly which room this was. It sounds like you were in one of our seven smaller "Single" rooms by your tips to other readers after your comments. Typically, when there are stains in the carpet that we just can't get out, the carpet is replaced. We're very quick about this. Scuffs on the walls should be taken out and touched up with paint. This is all a part of our daily operation. The area around the bathroom windows should be perfectly clean. I'm sincerely sorry that this wasn't the case during your stay. I look forward to hearing from you directly, if you don't mind. Thank you so much. Please come back soon.

Darren Ross
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having stayed at some very nice hotels during our 2 week holiday we stayed here for the last 3 nights of our trip.
How do I start to describe this hotel without repeating what has already been said?
Location is excellent for walking and freeway access. The rooms are massive, clean and comfortable. On-site parking is great and very reasonably priced. Free DVD rental (if you have time to watch a film). Breakfast is continental but more than adequate and a good selection. But what really makes this hotel is the staff. They're very welcoming and can't do enough for you.
I was so impressed with the hotel I felt it necessary to mention it at the reception only to be approached by a gentleman in a suit who turned out to be the manager who thanked me for my comments.
On another day I happened to spot him from my balcony talking with people around the pool and checking that everything was okay.
All I can add is that next time I'm in LA this is where we will stay and won't bother looking anywhere else.

Room Tip: Try get a room with a balcony so you can enjoy breakfast looking over the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MontyT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional service! Our family loved staying here, & wished we'd booked longer. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The rooms are a little tired, but I actually found this a relief with two small children. Less for me to worry about! Free snacks, free laundry service, free breakfast, free movies, all just perfect for families!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

They welcome you with a sparkly beverage, they give out free snacks, free movies, free parking, free shuttle service. Once were inside, there is a kitchen, robes, chocolate, and water. The beds are pure heaven with down comforters that mold to your body. The main pool area looks like an oasis surrounded by villa rooms with whit shutters. They even give us a morning newspaper and breakfast. The breakfast is nothing special though.

1 Thank boobam
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Magic Castle Hotel is truly a home away from home. We stayed here for 4 nights and were blown away. The rooms are clean and massive (ours was a one bedroom apartment) and you are only one block from the walk of fame and everything Hollywood has to offer. The pool area is super cool and reminds me of the TV show Melrose Place. Special mention needs to be made about the service of the staff at the Magic Castle Hotel. The are incredible!! They were friendly and informative and bent over backwards to accommodate our every request from getting us free snacks at all times of the day and night to arranging tickets to a baseball game at the last minute. Special mention must be made of Nick and Mallory at the front desk but really each and every single staff member was brilliant. I think the Magic Castle is fantastic value for money and will be telling all my friends and family to stay there. Thanks for looking after us. It was the perfect start to our holiday!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hi Ryan,
Thank you so much for the review! I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much....that's great news.
We get the "Melrose Place" comment a lot. Our guests really do seem to love pretending they're staying in their own Hollywood Apartment. I always say we're like Melrose Place...but without all the drama.
We're very lucky to have both Nick and Mallory...thank you for mentioning them.
I hope you'll come back soon.
Darren