“Excellent 3 star hotel”

Ranked #2 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Perth, Australia
“Excellent 3 star hotel”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

It's worth keeping in mind that this is a three star hotel and I don't think they claim to be anything else. That said, and with only one or two reservations, it probably deserves its position in the TA rankings.

First, my reservations. I selected a single room, but the room turned out to be smaller than I expected. There is really no convenient spot to set up ones suitcase (I used the wardrobe) but otherwise, the room was fine. Secondly, and it's my own fault for being old (well, elderly), there are the stairs. Thankfully, my driver helped cart the bags up the stairs at the entrance, and the hotel provided assistance to get it all up to my room. However, I don't believe the hotel could do much to overcome these reservations.

Allowing for that, my stay was excellent. The bed was comfortable, if a bit soft for my liking, the rooms clean but showing their age a bit, and a good sized bathroom. Breakfast was adequate and could be taken back to the room or eaten by the pool. The location of my room on the second floor at the back of the hotel would have made the first option impractical for me, and the second is great as long as the weather is clement. I didn't use their free snack service (the range is excellent) or the free movies. I did take advantage of their ability to get a booking for the Magic Club next door and that was a great, if slightly expensive night. Staff were pleasant and extremely helpful at all times.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, but at my time of life I enjoy a little luxury and that would be taken into account. For younger people and families, I don't think you can beat the Magic Castle Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pick a single room. Rooms at the back of the hotel will be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Colin S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

this is a great little hotel our room was lovely more a sml appartment than a hotel room very clean very comfortable beds the staff are all very friendly and very helpfull we had a great night out at the magic show and this hotel is only 2 min walk to the centre of hollywood i would recomend this hotel to anyone

4 Thank cherie w
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great Location...just 5 mins walking from Hollywood and the Starline Tour Company. A must see is the Magic Show at the Hotel's restaurant.......Book early and its formal wear.

The Kids loved this Hotel all the 'free' snacks". Staff are very pleasant and willing to assist . Gabby, Nick ,Marcus (he never sleeps) and the Breakfast dude... They make your stay comfortable with seamless effort......Amazing............ Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Suites are very spacious with a large Kitchen and Two flat screen Tvs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BaLMaharaj
England
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Agree with everyone's comments. It's a lovely hotel and attention to detail by staff is first class. After a delayed flight we arrived later than planned - tired and thirsty. On check in we were given a cold glass of sparkling wine - wonderful gesture and so appreciated. Staff are really happy and helpful. Our room though was a bit on the tired side and could have done with a refurb. But this didn't matter as it was spotlessly clean and bed so comfy. Well deserved rating to be the best hotel in LA!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank goodhotelsonly
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at this charming hotel ~ which seemed more like a European B&B ~ for two nights and were very impressed. The rooms are actually spacious apartments including full kitchens and spacious balconies overlooking the lovely pool area. Everyone associated with the property could not have been more pleasant, friendly and helpful. A very nice, varied breakfast, which we brought up to our room, was served in the lobby each morning until 10:00. We absolutely will stay at the Magic Castle whenever we are in the Hollywood area.

Room Tip: Our lovely room overlooked the pool and we were very pleased.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shieldsnan
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place is a gem!!!!!! Great location. We had a suite which was great to come back to as it had a sitting area which was great. The rooms are big, clean and very comfortable. The staff here are amazing they go above and beyond to make your stay stress free. They have complimentary breakfast, drinks, chocolates, chips etc. my boys couldn't believe it! Nothing was too much trouble, they even offered to do my washing.. 10 out of 10.

2 Thank Jem2359
Ocean Grove, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We have just returned from nearly 4 weeks in the States, ending with a 4 day stay at the Magic Castle. I originally found this hotel in a small review in our local paper and when I found out it was next to the renowned Magic Castle, I didn't hesitate to book it as my 11yo son is magic-mad! All the rest was just a bonus!! Following the impersonal service we had received in New York, the exceptional attention from the staff at the Magic Castle was an absolute breath of fresh air. Their amazing service started long before we arrived in LA - I had emailed them for advice in booking transfers and tours and Nick bended over backwards to provide information, prices and options and then proceeded to book anything I wanted. When we arrived, he welcomed me like a long lost friend and the other staff members also went out of their way to assist with tours, recommendations for restaurants and provided a much needed late checkout!! I have stayed in many wonderful places but i find that the staff can make the difference and in the case of the Magic Castle, it wins hands down!! The location is a perfect base for Hollywood (and we were surprised how much we loved the area with lots of restaurants, great shopping and a wonderful little supermarket, Fresh & Easy around the corner), the apartment was wonderful and spacious with amazing beds, the breakfast was great (thanks for providing vegemite for the Aussies!!) and like all the other reviewers, I must make mention of the complimentary snack menu - we still can't believe we could have all the chips, chocolates and soft drink we wanted!! What a treat!! I can't recommend this hotel and it's wonderful staff enough and I wouldn't hesitate to return and share this special place with others.

4 Thank Shari P