“Amazingly friendly staff, great location, big rooms!”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We really enjoyed staying here and were so happy with the wonderful service. The free mini bar snacks are great for when you need a little bite to eat. The continental breakfast is convenient, not the most amazing food, it's all pretty sugary stuff besides the fruit, but good to get you started for the day. The location is great, about 2 min walk from Hollywood highlands (the major tourist spots in Hollywood). The staff are always ready and more than happy to assist on any way. The bed was sooooo comfortable, we slept so well! The rooms are a little dated and sort of smell like an old apartment, but they are spacious and clean and that's what counts! there is also a kitchenette, although we didn't use that.
So summarize, this is a great place to stay if you want to feel welcome and taken care of!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ava T
There are newer reviews for Magic Castle Hotel

Reviewed November 11, 2011

We arrived at the hotel Ocober 17th after a night in Las Vegas, where I came down with the worst head cold I've had in years. By the time we checked in, I was a walking zombie. The front desk noticed right away that I was not well, helped me with our luggage, and went out for medication. THANK YOU Z, Kristin,and Marcus. They even made dinner reservations, for that night and our night at the castle. The room was perfect, we snagged a balcony and ate breakfast there each morning. The location was perfect for first time visitors to LA, lots of sight seeing within walking distance. And secure parking! We also loved the free snacks and drinks - at any time we asked! We would not stay anywhere else no matter what we were offered - this place could not be beat.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here for work and was a pleasantly surprised. The service was perfect, rooms were well equipped with a full kitchen and living area. I enjoyed their snack menu they had and the complimentary glass of lemonade on arrival. The hotel isn't the SLS or Andaz but is in my opinion the best location and value for money. This is my second stay in Los Angeles and can't wait to stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jasmineo84
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This was Hotel #30 and the last hotel we stayed at on 10 week trek across the USA from Australia

From the complimentary glass of Lemonade at check in, to their willingness to assist you in anything you needed went above and beyond our expectations.
So this hotel is not the Ritz, but what u do get is a clean apartment (ours was a 2 bedroom) comfy beds, good shower pressure, great Wifi.and and an awesome location (one block back from Grumans theatre and Hollywood Boulevard)
At this hotel its the little things that make all the difference, the maid comes around in the early evening with a little card telling u what the temp will be tommorrow with some mints, the DVD library has a huge selection, the breakfast is simple but adequate,the complimentary mini bar is awesome offering candy and sodas and if u need to go somewhere the staff will help u plan right down to the finest details.
The first night we were here my kids went down to the front desk to grab a couple of movies, some candy and sodas - came back to the room pulled out the sofa and had a movie night, they were so comfortable at this hotel right from the start. The kids also.loved the pool and we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast by the pool each morning.
As this is more like a small boutique hotel, most mornings you would find the manager just wandering around just making sure that everyone was happy and if there was anything else they could do to make your stay more pleasant.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to the Manager of this hotel for allowing us to stay beyond the usual check out time - due to a late flight back to Australia. The kids were able to spend one last day in the pool and we were able to relax and pack before the long flight home - thank you so much !!!
Then when we did check out we were offered complimentry candy for the road.

If I am ever in LA again I will definately be staying at this hotel again and I will be recommending this hotel to all my friends

Room Tip: Ask for a room down the back - there is some traffic on Franklin St as alot of traffic tries to avoi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank itchyfeet6865
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We selected this hotel based on the rave reviews from Trip Advisor. They were spot on about the excellent location and the wonderful service provided by ALL the hotel employees.

From all the rave reviews I was expecting a really beautiful hotel. This hotel seems to actually have been an older apartment complex that was converted to a hotel. The rooms themselves are like a small apartment. The furniture is older and well used, but maintained okay, but seemed kind of bare bones. The sofa was really saggy. There was a small kitchen with dining table and chairs. Bath products were the Taracco brand which is wonderful.

We had a room with a balcony, but there is NO privacy. The balcony overhangs the pool and you could have a conversation with your neighbors without shouting because they are so close. It is a small complex of rooms. The hotel seemed pretty secure with access mainly through the garage or the front lobby doors only.

The housekeeping service prior to us being checked in was not too great because there were spider webs hanging from the ceiling and on the walls.

The garage was great. They charge about $11 per night, but it is steel door gated and accessible only with the insertion of a room key...very safe. The "mini-bar" , which is free, is not in the room. I kept looking for it when we arrived. They provide you with a list, you just them what you want and they give it to you at the front desk.

The hotel itself is about 2 blocks from Guaiman's Chinese Theater and the Hollywood walk of stars. Be sure to ask the front desk personnel about recommendations for eating, sight-seeing, etc. We were there when there was a movie premiere and Twilight stars putting their hand prints in the cement. Needless to say, there were a lot of Twilight fans during this time, but it did not stop you from getting anywhere UNLESS you wanted to drive down that particular section of the street.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for the wonderful service provided by the friendly staff, security and prime location. The hotel itself is only average, but if you know that going in, your expectations will be realistic.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Durwoody
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the hotel and the service.

It's true; we have some rooms that are in need of updating. We're in the process of doing this right now and have several completed. This building was an apartment building originally. The advantage of course are the enormous suites. They're real one and two bedroom apartments in the heart of Hollywood. The room you are describing had a full kitchen, living room with sofa-bed, dining area, and a private bedroom. Usually people find these rooms quite large but I completely understand...it is subjective.

There is absolutely no excuse for a cobweb on the ceiling. This is a huge deal to us and will be reiterated with the Housekeeping staff and management.

The free "Mini Bar", as you discovered, is not actually in the room. We're actually trying to get away from calling it a "mini bar" for this very reason. From an operations point of view, it would be difficult to offer the 40+ items we offer on an unlimited and free basis in the rooms. Please know that we're happy to deliver these items to our guests at no charge 24 hours a day.

As for your noisy neighbors, I'm sorry about that. It's typically a pretty quite hotel and our secuirty staff does a good job of taking care of the rare noise complaint.

Please contact me directly the next time you wish to visit. I'll personally see to it that your room is situated in a quiet part of the hotel.

Thank you again for writing and we hope to see you back soon,

Reviewed November 9, 2011

For our Honeymoon, my newly wed wife and I stayed here for our first few nights in Hollywood. We booked it as it seemed quirky and was much cheaper than the more "famous" and "glamorous" hotel opposite the Chinese Theatre that we stayed at for the next half of our Hollywood stay.
We can honestly say that if we had our time over again, we would definitely stay at the Magic Castle over the other one any day!
Upon arrival, we were welcomed by Nick who would have to be one of the nicest and most helpful hotel employees we'd met over our month long stay in the US. When we entered our not plush but very clean and comfortable "home", we found they had given us a complimentary bottle of wine, desert and a lovely wedding congrats message. You'd be surprised how many of the big and more popular hotels didn't do this throughout our trip. As others have said, their breakfast is free and is awesome. Cerial, pastries, juices, fruit... More than you could ask for.
They also freely offer you free snacks throughout your stay. Thanks for the Peanut M&M, Nick! Free hire of a great list of DVD's, Very helpful travel tips and never too busy to help you with anything you require.
Nick advised us to visit Yamashiro Japanese restaurant thats located on the hill behind them. We did have dinner there, and were very glad we had. Strongly recommend it if you have time.
So, if you're after a Hollywood stay with a hotel that has more value, personality, helpful employees, intimacy with thier customers and close vicinity to Hollywood Boulavard than the others, stay at the Magic Castle!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hutcho2033
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I had thought of staying in a chain hotel for predictability, but decided to roll the dice on a more boutique type hotel, and am SO glad I did. My great experience at the Magic Castle will probably change my attitudes about small independent hotels vs chains for all my travel choices in future. So much more fun, personal, friendly, and a little bit of an adventure. I stayed at the Magic Castle with my 5-year-old daughter a year ago, to vist friends in LA and go to Disneyland. I just came across some souvenirs as I was cleaning out a drawer and I realized I never reviewed it.. We had a wonderful time. The staff made my daughter feel like a princess, everyone had both a strong service mentality but also a fun demeanor. The pool area was low key and friendly, with snacks as a bonus. The room was very comfortable and had everything we needed (more like a stylish simple, comfortable apartment), and the location was perfect for us. It has a kind of "mid-century style meets fantasy castle meets cool nice people in the 21st century" vibe. We loved it. Special place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family