“Tidy, friendly but inadequate”

Oxford Palace Hotel
Ranked #188 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Despite a Korean hotel, the two staff at the check-in counter (both looked Korean) spoke fluent English. The hotel setting was old-school. The room looked tidy, but when one paid more attention, one would identify the inadequacy. First, there was no electricity outlet near to the desk -- how could I use my laptop for hours then? It ended up I had to sit on the ottoman with the laptop laying on the bedside drawer to handle my work emails. Then, I found that there was no iron and laundry board in the room. These are meant to be "must-have" items. Next, there were two shower heads in my room, one of them looked worn out with mineral crystals surrounding the water outlet holes. The other one (that looked new) however was okay and looked clean. I was probably unlucky to stay on the same floor with some family travelers. I heard kids talking and knocking on doors many times and some adults whispering outside of my room until 1 am at night. Perhaps I could have called up the concierge and got someone to stop them. But this also suggested how bad sound insulation was.

Next day, I went downstairs to get my free Korean breakfast. One could choose from the a la carte menu. I ordered a rice porridge with abalone. It tasted good, though there was only a few very very small slides of abalone. The interesting thing was, though the breakfast was free, I was asked to pay tips. I didn't bring any money with me. It ended up that I had to come downstairs again to pay for the tips. The staff was very polite though. The hotel management should really think about what's meant by "free". If the guests are expected to pay tips for something "free", please remind them in advance.

One good thing about this hotel is the location. It is located in the heart of Korean town. There are many restaurants and pubs within a few minute walk. Also, valet parking is free for guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ydenw

Reviewed March 5, 2013

i couldn't find the restaurant so i'm posting under the hotel where the restaurasnt is at

6pm on a weekday and it was quiet
had a few tables in
we both ordered a uni set and another set
included snacks and pickles and green tea!!
excellent quality

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I really like this hotel in the heart of Korea Town. I managed to get a non-smoking room and it was comfortable. Right across the street from an excellent food market which allowed me to grab some fruit to complement the Korean BBQ from nearby restaurants. Two major problems however caused we to downgrade this hotel. Firstly, I had a terrible time getting into my room! As others have noted, the electronic key cards kept failing. 70% of the time. I was back and forth to the front desk and often they would send security up with the pass key. Secondly, the Wi-Fi was very intermittent. It kept dropping the connection. There was no way you could use Skype and even browsing the Internet was challenging. If they would only fix these problem, the rating would be 4 of 5!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Al H
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at the Oxford for 3 nights from Dec 9-12 , 2012. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were better than expected considering the rate of 120/night. The bed was comfortable and the room very tidy. I was most impressed with how quiet the hotel was ..... didn't use my earplugs once.
The hotel is in a great location if you have a car. Not too far from main attractions and easy to get to while avoiding the highways.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room faced 8th street and was very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Diane N
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Considering that most places anywhere near downtown start in the high 200s, this is a bargain for being only about 3.5 miles from downtown. The staff members were very pleasant and the room was clean. The valet parking is free (you should tip the attendants, however). The only thing that was problematic for me was the bed, which was very firm.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was a great place to stay in Los Angeles. Located in Koreatown, the hotel was very clean and fancy. There was free valet parking at this hotel; you just needed to tip the attendant. The hotel offered a Korean breakfast in the restaurant but we were not interested in it at all. Not our type of breakfast food. Luckily, there was a Denny’s right down the street to the left of the hotel. When we first arrived we asked the front desk their recommendation as to how we should get to the sights like the Dolby theatre and Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. They did not recommend using the subway system, so we opted for a driver who was employed by the hotel. They charged 30 bucks one way, which was a rip off. If we were to do it again, we would probably have just driven down there in our rental car and found a parking garage. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a safe area of Los Angeles.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Celia B
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Hotel location is not bad. Since it's located in downtonw L.A, it's easy for you to travel elsewhere. However, I stayed at Oxford Palace 2 different times during this trip to California, the very night I arrived L.A and another 6 nights when I came back from San Francisco.

The very first night at the hotel was fine but another 6 nights were not quite okay. Since the hotel was fully booked, my hubby and I got a room on smoking floor area. Even if we always closed windown of our room; the smoke always came in. After 6 nights of staying there, my hubby got sick.

Room Tip: If you wanna stay here, please ask for non smoking floor. However, if it's fully booked, you are...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple