“Beautiful hotel, good service, average dining, a few quirks.”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Santa Monica, California
“Beautiful hotel, good service, average dining, a few quirks.”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

As a Platinum SPG member, a luxury weekend away is a rare and wonderful experience. We stayed at the SLS for a fun night away and hoped for an equally indulgent dinner experience. The hotel was nice, but the Premier Rooms were a bit small. Service was very good, but had a quirky problem with the wrong name associated with our room...called front desk 3 x's to have it changed, but they never fixed it.
Had drinks & Tapas in the renowned Bazaar restaurant/bar. Service was terrible - watched our drinks sit on the bar ready for pickup, for 10 minutes. Staff was gossiping about clientele and tapas were salty and over priced for the quality.
We went to Morton's next door to eat - which was wonderful and recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Thank you for your comments and 4 Stars!

I will follow up on your feedback and share with our hotel staff so that we can continue to improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days. Reminded me of a Hotel W with a unique twist.

Pros
1) Big, clean room
2) Nice staff
3) Hotel car service was available to take us to Rodeo drive

Cons
1) Very expensive drinks and food (Mojito costs $16.00). My wife and I ate had 2 appetizers and a few drinks and spent almost $150.00
2) Pool area is very crowded
3) Lots of smoking going on in the front door entry area, which moves into the main reception area
4) location - hard to walk to anything worthwhile
5) shower did not get hot (luke warm every shower)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ustehkc
Thank you for your feedback, nice review and your "Pros" for the SLS Hotel.

I would like to comment on your "Cons":
1. Our pricing is competitive to similar restaurants and hotels in the area and we are constantly reviewing.
2. Our Pool is indeed popular and therefore can be crowded but it is still for the use of hotel guests only.
3. Smoking continues to be popular in Los Angeles and our front veranda is the only place for smokers to smoke. I do not think we will ever win with this and be able to satisfy both smokers and non smokers but I will keep looking for solutions.
4. Hence, the car service which you mentioned as a Pro.
5. Apologies for lack of hot water but this is very unusual as I have not received this comment before. I'll investigate.
Northumberland UK
Reviewed September 8, 2010

At last, a hotel that cares how it looks beyond the public areas. Carpets you sink into, rooms that make you feel you are on holiday and attention to detail that most hotels would wish for. Alex at concierge was excellent. Our first time in LA, he made sure we made the most of our visit. Lionel and Dan in the house car gave us all the information we needed as they took us around in luxury. The rooftop pool, Altitude was chic and relaxed, with excellent service from the staff. If you like contemporary luxury, cool design and being well looked after, visit the SLS.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Great! Thank you for the 5 Stars and a fantastic review. I'll be sure to share your comments with Alex, Lionel and Dan.

On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Our stay at the SLS got mixed reviews. The teenagers thought it was cool; my husband found it stylish and innovative. I thought it was too weird to really feel comfortable. The whole Phillippe Stark style made me feel like I was at MoMA (or maybe a less celebrated Modern art museum)--the pool, especially, surrounded by frames and mirrors was just too weird for me. It was basically like Tim Burton's vision of Alice in Wonderland--if you liked that, you'll love this hotel.

The furniture was all meant to be impressive but not particularly functional, For example, there were not outlets near the bed, and the side tables, while chic, didn't have full shelves so things kept slipping down onto the floor. The shower doors did not close well so things kept dropping to the floor when the door was "slammed." One had to walk behind the bed to get places, and trip on wires (ah--there were the outlets!!)

Service was good--the valet staff was very friendly and prompt and the registration desk was staffed by energetic people. They raved about the fitness center which turned out to be just okay. I didn't need the concierge at all, which is probably just as well--I'm sure they could have directed me to clubs, etc., which I am way too old for.

Bottom line: not the right scene for a suburban mom.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mommythek
Thank you for your comments on the design of the hotel. Once again design is a matter of personal tatse and I am sorry that the SLS Hotel was not to your liking.

However, I am pleased that your daughters found the SLS Hotel "cool" and your husband found it "stylish and innovative."

We hope to welcome your family back soon!

Thank you for the feedback.
London
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed a the SLS for 5 nights. It is a great location in Beverly Hills and easily accessible. The Hotel is similar in style to a Schrager hotel - oversized pieces in the reception area, digital art, mood lighting and sound. So from the get go I would say that unless you place some value on innovative design and modern interpretations it is not going to be for you and that you would be better off with a more traditional luxury hotel.
I am Platinum with Starwood, booked a standard room and got a Terrace Room which has a decent outside space - a nice option.
So check in desk was exceptionally helpful, in fact the experience with all the staff has been positive from the lobby to the two restaurants to the valets.
The rooms value design over function - expensive custom furniture and lighting, an oversized shower (no bath) - but very little space for clothing and storage. There are opulent touches such as the hand blown glass lighting, smoked mirror that hides a TV and custom Stark furniture. Beds are very comfortable.
Couple of comments: the oversized toiletry bottles are not for take away and I personally like the large bottles as opposed to fiddling with tiny things to squeeze out little globs. However, although the texture of the products are very nice the SLS have missed a trick by not having a signature scent for any of the products - they are simply bland. The towels too are not bath sheets and feel rather cheap to me for a hotel of this standard. The bath robes though are large and luxurious - the kind you want to lounge in all day.
Food for breakfast is expensive other then the buffet which again is innovative and a nice follow through from the superlative Bazaaar which is a must try - incredible food.
The pool area can be a little intimidating - clearly pitched to the beautiful people of LA but again I found no problem with the attitude of the staff there.
Valet was efficient - you pay the one charge for the entire day, in and out as many times as you want.
Overall I was very pleased with my stay and would recommend the experience to couples or singles looking for an innovative, sophisticated stay with lots to admire.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
This is a great review and very accurate. Everyone should read your comments.

Thank you for the feedback and I am pleased that the SLS Hotel experience for you was "sophisticated glamour, outstanding service."

Sincerely Love SPG!

West Hollywood, California
Reviewed August 28, 2010

From the starstruck people at reception oozing, "It's Emmy Week!" as an excuse for everything to the attitude laden rooftop pool, (it says Altitude on the door, but that is clearly a misspelling), this place lacks the coordination and grace of truly great local hotels in the area such as the Chateau Marmont and the Sunset Marquis. This place plays at being a Hollywood in spot but fails at every turn, which is a pity, because the Bazaar Restaurant is a great place to dine. It was on the strength of the restaurant that I recommended the hotel to my sister to stay in - a recommendation I now very much regret. Guests are charged each time there car goes in and out of the hotel, so I attempted to get a taxi to get home instead of having my sister incur charges. The parking staff was so unorganized that they gave taxi to someone just leaving the adjacent lobby dining area. Then they asked if I was going to Rodeo Drive. No, thanks. I am not a tourist, but a local who has no need to go there. Someone ordered the hotel car but it was never entirely clear if it was meant for me or not because the parking staff were not communicating with each other. After waiting interminably I just walked home, as itw as less than two miles. When friends from out of town ask where to stay I will NEVER EVER recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank rachilde
Thank you for your comments and I will follow up with our Valet Parking Company in regard to your experience but did you actually stay at the SLS Hotel?

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly.

boston
Reviewed August 22, 2010

For the price, this hotel is NOT WORTH IT. We were ready to stay at the Four Seasons, but saw this hotel and thought it might be fun. Boy, were we wrong. My dad is disabled, which I told the staff when I booked. No walk in shower, and the room was a LONG walk from the elevator. You CANNOT get a seat by the pool unless you get there very early in the morning ala Cancun, or pay exorbitantly for a "cabana". The staff at the pool is rude. The rooms are very dark, and it is not easy to tell where the light switches are. I had to ask twice at 1 and 3 pm for our room to be cleaned. I was extremely disappointed. Go with the four seasons if you are going to spend the money.

• Stayed August 2010
5 Thank Elinor M
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that SLS Hotel was not for you.

If you would like to give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves, please feel free to contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#46 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!