SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #25 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 23, 2009

we stayed at the SLS one night before going back to Europe. Philippe Stark has been much inspired when he conceived this hotel. There were stunning little details everywhere! Marvelous stay. Staff very friendly. Would love to go back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 10, 2009

As the choices of 5 star hotels near USC are not extensive (can't wait for the Ritz to open near LA Live!), we thought we'd try the SLS which is 7 miles away to be close to our Trojan water polo playing son. It has a lovely entrance and a nice receiving staff that directs you away from the restaurant (which seems like the hotel entrance) to the actual entrance on the right. The desk help was pretentious but upgraded us to a suite as we are Starwood gold members. The room has a contemporary vibe although overdone with too many mirrors. We also didn't like the shared shampoo/soap/lotion bottles. With viruses an issue, who wants to touch bottles strangers have in the shower? There has to be another way to be earth-friendly (how about pump bottles that can have santitized pumps replaced between guests?)

Anyway, the restaurant looked fabulous with cozy, private eating areas. However, we chose to eat at nearby Matsuhisa which was a little crowded (sat us at the sushi bar due to "previous table reservations" which never materialized) and although delicious with good service, way too expensive ($270 for 3 people?).

The hotel beds were fine and we like when hotels stretch design to be fresh and exciting. The rooms just aren't as inviting as they could be as the furnishings are a little stark and uncomfortable (and I love modern--it just needs to be more user-friendly).

Finally, we are so tired of the $10 waters in the rooms of so many hotels! If a hotel wants to be environmentally conscious, just have filtered water available for free. It's insulting. Just because one has money doesn't make one stupid. Parking was $32 which is the norm in LA.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LReego
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 9, 2009

Okay, well we're all busy people so I'm going to sum up the good and bad:

Pros: Great Fitness Center, Lively/Chic (yet small) roof pool, sophisticated dining options, good sheets, lovely house shuttle, comp. rates

Cons: Shared bathroom amenities (full size shampoos and soap bottles), mirror, mirror everywhere, iffy internet connection, front desk staff (slight air of pretense), "free" on-demand TV (free to browse, pay to watch), bath design

Okay, I like W's, in my experience, they are a great match of hip swankiness offering a touch of luxury with expected, but typically not found pretense. Actually, most staffers at W's are really as friendly as someone at a Homewood Suites (which is probably one of my favourite brands).

The SLS is like a W, in fact, but not really a Luxury Collection Hotel...at least during my stay it definitely had a mover/shaker busybody feel, and whether it was due to the crowds, not sure if property could fulfill expectation, regardless, I found most staffers quite genial, but it only takes 1, in this case my check-in host, to make me question who is the guest and who is the staffer - a smile and hello can go a long way vs. a stiff "may I help you?"

Upon checking me in, with his Twilight inspired demeanor, I asked about internet and was told there was a fee, but after re-stating my status, I was told it didn't really apply, since after double checking it was included in room rate. Outside of the shaky start, most of lukewarm reception was due to room design.

An odd club-inspired bathroom
Most of my other complaints are around the area of getting prepared for the day (or the night) depending on activity. The bathrooms are dark and counter space is limited, almost non-existent due to the kitchen-sized sink in the bathroom. Mirrors abound (even in the shower) so you should be comfortable with your body at all times (even while in the shower). The shower was a bit awkward, at first inspired looking drainage system, but as I showered as the water failed to move down the drawn, I found myself standing in a puddle of water (never fun in any shower). The shower door did not create a watertight seal, so a little water sprayed out through the sides. Oh and lastly I don't understand the concept of shared toiletries -green indeed, but 1) they didn't seem special and 2) how many people have used this bottle of shampoo? Thankfully I travel with usually travel with my own anyway.

After the bath, it was time for wardrobe, and well, I was surprised to find a mini iron board available...unfortunately my gnome did not join me on his trip, so I did encounter some challenges with ironing (and once again find a plug for the iron).

When you finally did make it out, most of it was good, enjoyed the restaurant immensely, always enjoy roof pools (though 1 was more ornamental than purposeful) and a scene it was (but fully expected), fitness center was phenomenal and the house car and driver were distinguished.

Final Outcome
That said, it still feels a amalgamation of a lounge and a hotel where style did trump substance and experience (at least from a hotel development standpoint). A very cool hotel, with very posh notes but almost seeming designed by someone who is better tailored for other areas of hospitality or Vegas. True luxury? No. Fun? Sorta. Stay again? Not quite sure- perfect for a stylish Harajuku girls, the Kardashians, and well anyone from Hyde.

1  Thank theboywanderz

Thanks for your comments. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel is very centrally located to all the attractions we were interested in visiting, Rodeo Drive, Melrose Ave, The farmers market, etc. The rooms are very spacious and the beds "heavenly". The lighting in the rooms are a bit low and the bathroom features a pedestal bathtub which I found a bit uncomfortable and high to get into. The shower has an overhead showerhead as well as wall showerjets which makes for a great shower experience. Complimentary coffee is served in the lobby area for breakfast. Chocolates and apples are also left in the room at turn down service.The restaurant in the lobby serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and one of the days we had lunch there we spotted Eva Longoria having lunch with a soccer player from a European team which was also staying at the hotel. Adjacent to the Hotel is Spanish chef, Andres Balaz's restaurant "The Bazaar" which is a tapas style restaurant and the food is spectacular. The concierge and the the staff were very attentive and helpful with the many questions we had about the area and the valet staff offered us water and directions also. The days we were there the hotel was very busy with the Soccer Team that was staying there but at no time did we feel that we were any less important or that we were not able to get the service that we needed. I would recommend this hotel to people that like trendy, hot spots combined with great comfort and convenience of location. Many restaurants within walking distance as well as shopping areas, movies etc.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your positive comments. Just to note the restaurant is The Bazaar by Jose Andres!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

I just recently stayed at the SLS for 7 nights on a business trip. My girlfriend flew in from New York for 4 days so this trip was work/pleasure. We were excited to stay at the SLS in Beverly HIlls, it was even on Entourage.

I arrived on a Thursday night and could not pull into the entrance of the hotel. The driveway was packed with Ferrari's, Bentleys, and Roll Royce's. The entrance is small and impractical. There is no self parking, only valet ( $35 a night). The valet attendants are decent, and if you call down ahead of time they have your car waiting with a bottle of water in ti.

The hotel is located on La Cienega in Beverly hills about .3 miles from WIlshire Blvd and two miles from Rodeo Drive. There is a lot of traffic to get to the hotel and it is tough to get in the small entrance coming from either direction. I was not a fan of the location.

The room was ultra-modern with sliding mirror doors in the bathroom and plasma tv behind a mirror. The king bed was floating in the center of the room with a desk behind it. There was not enough room to sit in the chair at the desk comfortably. The room had interesting lighting and a terrace, but overall was too small. It was clean, nice but small. The bathroom was nice and had a large shower with great water pressure. There is no bath tub. The hotel provides full size shampoo, conditioner, face wash etc which is nice. I liked the bath products. The beds are comfortable as well.

The hotel has very nice fitness center with all new modern equipment. There are treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and stair machines. There are also dumbells up to 50 lbs and machines. Water and towels are provided. All the aerobic machines have tvs in them.

The rooftop pool is nice. It has a great view. The regular pool is heated ,but the salt water pool isnt. The lounge chairs are comfortable and there are cabanas. Food and drinks can be ordwered but during the week take time.

The concierge services were helpful. The hotel has a fleet of cars that can drive you around the area. Each floor also has a pool table by the elevators ( kind of cool)

The restaurant Bazaar is the hottest restaurant in LA. The food is very good. Small plates that add up to a fairly large bill. My gf and I had dinner Saturday night and the bill was over $300. We tried alof of the food and enjoyed the experience. It is by no means the best restaurant ive been to, its a good restaurant. Bar scene is fantastic if your into that sort of thing. This place is a mob all night on Wednesday thru Saturday. Definitely make a reservation, its worth trying it out. Especially the dessert patisserie after your meal

Overalll the SLS is a good hotel. The faciltiy is good but I found the service to be just ok. I get much better service at W Hotels. This hotel is not on par with the Four Seasons or Mandarin Orientals etc. Add to the fact the hotel is a huge night scene and can be crowded.

I was not impressed nor will I be returning to hotel. I will stay at the Four Seasons or the W Westwood.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and recognizing that we are a busy and good hotel!

Reviewed October 5, 2009

* pool did not live up to expectations from photo's etc. Bit to crammed in with furniture & cabanas, too overcrowded. pool water overflowing into deck. seemed a bit messy & untidy. not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2009

Thank you for the high rating!

Our Altitude Pool is indeed extremely busy in the summer months, especially on the weekends. I wish the Pool was larger but that space used to be just a rooftop so its remarkable what has been created.

With the summer weather fading, the Altitude Pool area is getting quieter but remains even more lovlier especially in the evening for cocktails.

We hope to see you again soon.

See Lingering Sunsets!

Reviewed October 2, 2009

I have been coming to the SLS for several months now. I have received nothing but the best regarding service and hospitatlity. You have some top notch employees- including Ashley and Lewis at the front desk, Stephanie and Irene in the restaurant/lounge, Jacob and the entire wait staff.

It has been a true pleasure to be a guest at the SLS.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

It's a true pleasure to have you as a guest and thank you for your continued support and business.

I will be sure to recognize Ashley, Louis, Stephanie, Irene and Jacob and share your positive feedback with the entire hotel staff.

On behalf of all of us, we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!