“This Hotel has a head for business, but a body for sin”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #29 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Madrid
“This Hotel has a head for business, but a body for sin”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Great building, great service at the door and also good management: they came back when I start claiming, but they failed miserably on details. The rooms are too dark, they don't replace drinks when you take them in your room, it took three days to recover the chips I ate the first day, they lost on cloth in the laundry, there were spy nets in one of the windows that took two days to clean completely, the bathroom was loosing water the first night, making noise all night, we were three colleagues in three different rooms at the Hotel, but with one car, and they pretended to charge parking to each of us. Good that we told each other, because we had different departures dates!. Once we told them, they took the parking charge out of the invoice. As I said: failed miserably on details, because they responded when we claimed, and the rest of the hotel was great. Great lobby, great gym, small pool and very good at the recepcion helping us in finding and making reservations on restaurants.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
Thank you for your comments and I will follow up on the incidents which you described.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to dazzle and delight you on your next visit.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed September 16, 2009

The SLS Beverly Hills (Starwood) is trying so hard to be a hip hotel. The design (by Phillipe Starck?) is completely silly. My room has no electrical outlets any where near my desk - had to get maintenance to run a big organge cord across the room. But, there is techno gym built in one wall. I get the impression that the philosophy is "add, add, add!" there is stuff everywhere (fine line between trendy design and a bad Cheesecake Factory btw). The staff is very pretty but they seem to be "playing hotel" The prices are very high and the location is not prime. I can not recommend this hotel - so many better options in Beverly Hills / Hollywood.

2 Thank Pete312
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
Thank you for your thoughts and comments particularly on the design of the hotel.

As I have mentioned before in my response to similar reviews on the hotel's design, what some people see as "hip" or "silly" others might see "sleek sophistication", a "customized experience" or award winning design. I appreciate your viewpoint and thank you for sharing.

In regard to pricing, our rates are competitive and is certainly driven by the law of supply and demand. We are always offering special rates and packages so please keep an eye on our websites for the latest deals.

Thank you.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2009

The service is outstanding. Everyone who works at the hotel is polite, knowledgeable and accommodating. Our room was immaculate. The hotel is within walking distance to shopping and restaurants and the local car service provided by the hotel is an added convenience. The restaurant, Tres, has excellent food. We ate both breakfast and dinner there. We would definitely stay at the SLS again and recommend it to our friends. The only drawback is that the outside sitting area is very smoky. It is not pleasant for those of us who do not smoke, yet want to people watch and have a cocktail with family and friends.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gradyjewel
Thank you so much for the positive review and especially mentioning our staff.

We are so fortunate to have a beautiful Philippe Starck designed hotel and even luckier to have a great staff.

I will work on a better solution for our guests who do smoke so our other guests can Smell Less Smoke.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2009

This has been my second stay at the SLS and my only choice for hotel in LA. The service right from the doorman to the banquet staff, is superb. This is by far the best hotel in North America...I frequent hotels throughout mostly the U.S. and some in Canada approximately 30x a year and nothing comes close to the stay at the SLS. The food is superb, drinks are superb, the gym is state of the art and opened 24hrs. The rooms are so luxurious. If you want to be pampered this is the place even while on business. The restaurant won't dissappoint and if you want something quieter, the in-room dining will not fail you.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and returning to the SLS Hotel for a second visit.

We are welcoming more and more guests here while on business in Los Angeles and you clearly pointed out some of the services and amenities that make it a great place to stay for business people. I think one of the most interesting "meeting rooms" I have seen used for a business meeting and interviews is our Altitude poolside Cabanas! Only in LA! (FYI, the Pool has WiFi to keep our guests constantly connected).

We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit!
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The SLS Hotel was outstanding and just beautiful! The location was amazing, and it's an all around happening, exciting place! Ioved every minute of my stay there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you very much for the great comments.

I am pleased that you found the SLS Hotel an exciting place. We are certainly a unique hotel and it is great that you appreciate what we are doing to create different and memorable experiences for our guests.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Until we meet again... Sparkle Like Sunshine!
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I was in L.A. for a wedding. I decided to stay at the SLS because it's concept intrigued me. I'm not a 20-something, but I do like the atmosphere of the W Hotels and this hotel was supposed to be a "W on steriods" so to speak. I have to say that I was totally impressed with the SLS. To me, it is a luxury hotel that has no trouble making fun of it's luxury moniker. My room was very nice. I loved that bed and the TV in the mirror. I loved the bathroom. Yes, it's dark, but I had no problem with that. There was a lighted makeup mirror on the table to help out. I really wish I could take that whole room and transplant it into my house - it's what I'd like as my master suite at home!
I was treated like a celebrity by all staff I encountered, from the valets who graciously took my red rental Ford from me and didn't make me feel like a commoner, to the front desk who greeted me and acknowledged my SPG status. They even asked if I would like a late checkout, which I was going to ask for (it's usually like pulling teeth to get a late c/o). I really enjoyed the outdoor lounge at the guest entrance - comfy chairs to sit and watch the people coming and going.
The location of the SLS was just fine for me. I got to walk over to Beverly Center for some shopping (boy has that mall changed for the better!!). It was a short drive up to Hollywood to meet up with some friends and eat a Roscoe's. I wish I had more time to spend at the hotel that time.
If I get back to L.A., I will be sure to check for a room at the SLS. It's definitely not for everyone, but for those who can have a sense of humor and are not expecting a stuffy "luxury" hotel, it's a great place. If you want stuffy luxury, try another high-end hotel in L.A. , like Raffles or the Penninsula.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Javalina_Jane
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
Thank you very much for the great review and I am pleased that you were "treated like a celebrity"!

Your quote here - "It's definitely not for everyone, but for those who can have a sense of humor and are not expecting a stuffy "luxury" hotel, it's a great place" is exactly what our goal is.

Thank you again for appreciating the SLS Hotel. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

See Life Sideways!
New Jersey
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I was not impressed with the SLS hotel. I am a Platinum Starwood member and have stayed at numerous hotels. I should caveat that I prefer Westins to Ws in terms of style. The SLS is certainly swanky, but it didn't have a Luxury Collection feel. The pool was beautiful, but open very late in the morning, so not practical for business travellers or folks from the west coast.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 11, 2009
Thank you for your comments and as a SPG Platinum member I value your feedback.

We are a new paradigm in the luxury hotel experience. As a hotel new in concept and design we are certainly unique which is one of the most important aspects of being a Luxury Collection hotel.

Thank you though for referring to the SLS Hotel as swanky.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#45 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!