“Wonderful experience”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Staying at the SLS was the best experience I have had so far with the luxury Starwood hotels. The room was very clean and created a sense of relaxation and privacy. Service was prompt and professional. Most of the other guests that I encountered seemed to range in age from their mid 20s to 30 somethings. We arrived on a Sunday, and the partying was still going on at the pool. There are always those few people that have to get wasted, and make themselves look foolish, but the staff took care of the drunk idiots quite quickly. When I come back to LA I will be looking forward to staying at this hotel again. I am happy that I am unable to find much of anything to complain about at this amazing hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2009

Thank you for the positive comments! I am so happy that you had a "Wonderful Experience."

Please feel free to contact me personally for your next visit so that I can handle your reservations.

On behalf of all of us here at the SLS Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon.

Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,943)

Reviewed August 7, 2009

This is certainly not a dull place to stay - on the positive side the location is excellent, situated close to The Beverly Hills Center. The hotel offered an excellent valent parking service and there was an interestingly framed roof top pool serving superb food with very attentive and friendly staff. The rooms were a good size, the linen wonderful and the bathrooms large if somewhat bizzare in design. There was also a well equiped fitness centre.

On the negative, the hotel "concept" was definitely a case of design over functionality - as with the Hudson in New York, guests should be provided with a flash-light/torch to navigate this hotel as lighting does not appear to be top of Phillippe Starck's priority list and why would anyone place a pool table in a communal area on each and every floor unless hotel management was actively encouraging its guests to stay up all night - in which case, this was an unnecessary step as the noise from the lobby party-bar was more than sufficient. The reception staff had a problem understanding that they were the ones supposed to be serving the guests (rather than the other way round) and the roof top pool should be avoided at the weekend unless you are a would be starlet auditioning for Lolita. The bedrooms lacked lighting and storage was sufficient only for those packing size zero clothing and going commando.

That said, if you are looking for a party hotel to hang out with the beautiful people then this is the place for you. Overall, we enjoyed our stay mainly as there was an amusing incident lurking behind every doorway. But horses for courses as they say and this was probably just not a hotel for this particular filly. Would I recommend this hotel to friends - well if they could get a good rate, left their children at home and promised to pack a sense of humour then probably yes.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank SarniaCI

I had to Google "Marmite" as I was not sure what that was.

So, if the SLS Hotel is an acquired taste for you (as it also seems with a lot of other reviews on TripAdvisor of either loving us or hating us) then I hope that you (and anyone else not delighted on their first "taste") will give us another opportunity to delight you.

Perhaps after another visit you will really grow to love us.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your arrangements. When you contact me just refer to Marmite and I will remember you!

Reviewed August 2, 2009

Beware this hotel if you want the room you've reserved. I spoke with a rep twice to make sure I got a one bedroom suite, a quiet room on a high floor (I'm a delicate sleeper, and I had a lot of meetings in LA). I had never been to the hotel before. The first thing you notice when you arrive (as previously mentioned) is how dark everything is -- just painfully hip (and mirrored!) in the worst possible way. When I checked in I discovered that they had no note about the quiet room on a high floor -- I was put on the second floor facing La Cienega Blvd (believe me, it's a nightmare). And not a one bedroom suite either! A small, garish, noisy, dark room. I could not imagine sleeping there. I tried to change rooms but they had none to spare, they said. And so I called the London Hotel, got myself a suite, and checked out. And of course, they charged me for the night, despite granting me absolutely none of my requests. Believe the bad reviews. Seriously .

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank AJW34

I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your experience at the SLS Hotel.

All of our Suites are in high demand and I am sorry that we could not accommodate you in the right one which would of made you happy.

I know getting the right room is important to you so if you want to give us another chance, please contact me directly so that I can personally make your room reservation.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

I am an SPG Platinum member and usually get upgraded to beautiful suites as a matter of course, especially within my home state of CA. For the first time this year, that did not happen at this hotel - not a junior suite, basically no upgrade at all for my platinum status (and this was my very special anniversary night with my wife), so I would normally be a bit disappointed with the situation. But, I believe the front desk folks were genuine when they told me they had no upgrade rooms available for this particular night and Peggy promised me a beautiful suite upgrade next time I want to come back (which I will next month). So, as for the hotel... simply amazing. Here are bullet points about the stay: (1) There is something in the air here at this hotel, where you just know you are part of a very special hotel. Hard to describe other than a very positive vibe; (2) The staff is incredibly friendly. Before we dined at Bizarre, Lucas Paya took the time to put together his recommended menu for the evening for us!! And, he picked some dishes we would have never selected and they were incredible - such as traditional and modern olives, the "Philly Cheesesteak", the "hanger steak" - our favorite dish from the (9) items we ate in all! We did not get to the dish made with cotton candy - we are saving it to come back next month with the kids!! The staff at the pool was super friendly as well - not to mention the room service staff. And, of course, Peggy, who truly felt bad that she could not do any better for us (roon wise) on our special night and told us to speak to her directly before setting up our next visit (can't wait); (3) The restaurant - "Bizarre" - I believe one of only 2 restaurants in LA that has received a "five star" rating from the LA Times(??) or something like that - and we quickly found out why! If you want an incredible experience in dining - don't miss this restaurant! We ordered (9) items in all and with tax, tip, drinks and all included our bill was under $140 - not cheap, but certainly not expenisve by any "LA" measure; (4) The room was clean, great bed, TV that is part of the mirrored wall, large bottles of shampoo, etc., access to nice pool tables on every floor; (5) good location - an easy 1 block walk to the Beverly Center mall, a Mortons right next door, easy access to all the local attractions; (5) Nightlife inside the hotel - WOW. What a "happening" bar/lounge. Bottle service at around $300/bottle, special drinks with liquid nitrogen(?), beautiful people - my wife and I commented how much fun we would have had at this bar (20) years ago (LOL). Overall, a wonderful stay. If you want to treat yourself to something special - don't miss this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank THEGUYFROMSOCALIF

Many thanks for your great feedback and positive comments!

I will be sure to share with the entire SLS Hotel staff especially Peggy and Lucas.

Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit so that I can personally handle your reservations.

Until we meet again... See Life Sideways!

Reviewed July 27, 2009

I was there for 2 nights with my wife and 9 years boy. The hotel is nice and well decorated (modern style). However, the location is very bad as you cannot go anywhere in Beverly Hills without using your car. Then, the service is terrible: nodoby to open the hotel doors even if you're carrying your luggage! When we came back to our room at 7 pm, the room was not done! We went out for dinner and I kindly asked the reception that I'd like to have my room cleaned when we're back. At 11pm, when we came back, same situation... I called the reception and they send someone to clean our room, but no excuse, no inviation to a drink while we were waiting, just disgusting! The food (tapas style) at the restaurant was really bad and overpriced. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank pindundu

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your SLS Hotel experience and thank you for your comments.

I have addressed your issue with our Housekeeping Department and we have improved our staffing levels and our process so that we can better accomodate our guests especially when the hotel is busy.

I am surprised that you did not enjoy your dining experience at The Bazaar. It still continues to be one of the most popular and highly regarded restaurants in Los Angeles. I would appreciate more details in your feedback.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

We called ahead to book using a rate they had posted online - discounted rate for the first two nights, third night free. When we called before we came, they said that we should just talk to the front desk on the morning of the third day. Well, it's the morning of the third day and now they are saying that we were booked differently so they can't honor the third night free. We were planning on staying until the end of the week, but they said that their rates could change "like the airlines" so now I'm concerned about the bill we would receive at the end. For such a high-end hotel, I'm really surprised that they would haggle over rates rather focusing on overall customer satisfaction, loyalty and advocacy.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank AtlantaCat1

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for any confusion and inconvenience you experienced with our room rates.

I believe you stayed with us as part of a group as our staff at the Front Desk remember you.

Since you were with a group you already had a discounted rate. To avail of the the third night free you need to pay for the first two nights at the best available retail rate.

I hope this clarifies. If not, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed July 12, 2009

This is my first review on tripadvisor because I felt everyone needs to know this before spending any money on this hotel. Their service is horrible, they do everything in their power to ruin your experience. The pool is exteremy small and the staff is unfriendly and rude. The concierge is very forgetful about what they promise to do. The staff is not knowlegable about hotel policy.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sweetie27
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2009

Thank you for sharing your comments and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at SLS Hotel.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind to contact me directly so that I may get more detail on the inconveniences you experienced.

Hopefully we will be able to get you to return to the hotel and give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Downtown
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
#14 of 358 in Los Angeles

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!