“Shocked that they would not honor their commitment to their rates during our stay.”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Atlanta
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We called ahead to book using a rate they had posted online - discounted rate for the first two nights, third night free. When we called before we came, they said that we should just talk to the front desk on the morning of the third day. Well, it's the morning of the third day and now they are saying that we were booked differently so they can't honor the third night free. We were planning on staying until the end of the week, but they said that their rates could change "like the airlines" so now I'm concerned about the bill we would receive at the end. For such a high-end hotel, I'm really surprised that they would haggle over rates rather focusing on overall customer satisfaction, loyalty and advocacy.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank AtlantaCat1
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for any confusion and inconvenience you experienced with our room rates.

I believe you stayed with us as part of a group as our staff at the Front Desk remember you.

Since you were with a group you already had a discounted rate. To avail of the the third night free you need to pay for the first two nights at the best available retail rate.

I hope this clarifies. If not, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
sweetie27
Reviewed July 12, 2009

This is my first review on tripadvisor because I felt everyone needs to know this before spending any money on this hotel. Their service is horrible, they do everything in their power to ruin your experience. The pool is exteremy small and the staff is unfriendly and rude. The concierge is very forgetful about what they promise to do. The staff is not knowlegable about hotel policy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sweetie27
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Thank you for sharing your comments and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at SLS Hotel.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind to contact me directly so that I may get more detail on the inconveniences you experienced.

Hopefully we will be able to get you to return to the hotel and give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the SLS for three days. It was our first trip to LA and I feel that our stay at this hotel which was fantastic made our trip great. It was interesting, unique and a lot of fun, yet it was also sophisticated. From the time we arrived at the hotel the service given by the entire staff was incredible. They were friendly yet extremely professional. The hotel itself is beautiful.

Our room was on the 7th floor. The rooms were a bit dark, but I still found them to be functional. It was very quiet and almost felt as if noone was around yet the hotel lobby was busy and I was told that they were at 100% occupancy. The bed was very comfortable and the bathtub/shower was great. We really enjoyed the large sized shampoo, shower gel etc provided in the room. The fitness center was very nice and well equipped for a hotel which is always a nice surprise. I was able to spend two afternoons at the pool which was fun yet relaxing. The poolside service was great. The location of the hotel was good for us, as it was close to Rodeo Drive and the Grove and not too far from Downtown LA which is where I had to take my daughter each morning.

The food served at the hotel was wonderful. We were not able to have dinner at Bazaar but did have the opportunity to enjoy breakfast at Tres and lunch poolside and everything we tried was fabulous.

Next time we are in LA, we will definitely make an effort to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your very positive review!

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills soon.

Until we see you again... See Life Sideways!
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just enjoyed an in-town getaway here. We wanted a base from which we could reexplore such shopping/dining areas as: the Beverly Center, The Grove/Farmer's Market, Third St., Robertson Blvd., Melrose Ave., La Cienega Blvd., and Beverly Blvd. The choice came down to the SLS and the Sofitel; the new Montage Beverly Hills was enticing but too far west. We opted for the SLS because it is newer, a Starwood Luxury Collection property, nightlife guru Sam Nazarian's first hotel, and home to The Bazaar by Jose Andres, only the second restaurant to ever receive the highest four star rating from the Los Angeles Times (the first, Bastide, is now closed).

Monkeys are the SLS's mascots because, a front desk staffer told me, they are "fun, yet sophisticated", which is the hotel's aim. Designed by Philippe Starck with typical whimsy, humour and modern style (sometimes at the expense of practicality or function), the hotel also tries to provide a high level of service. For the most part, it succeeds. The staff is young, friendly and largely professional, but certainly less formal than at a Peninsula or Four Seasons. On weekends, there are lots of young partying beautiful guests usurping the pool and restaurant/bar, causing commotion in the hallways and rooms (think HBO's "Entourage"), but come Sunday, the place settles down.

There are separate entrances to The Bazaar and hotel, which has its own quiet restaurant, Tres. The hotel's lobby lounge is actually outdoors. Typical Starck touches abound--mismatched furniture everywhere, long tall communal tables in the restaurants, mismatched glassware in the rooms, all varieties of chandeliers and huge mirrors. The front desk area is dark. The meeting rooms are named after famous monkeys. A room key is needed to ascend any elevator. Each floor has a pool table with a silver floor lamp shaped like a rifle. Throughout the lobby and restaurant are myriads of shelves filled with books and tchotchkes--a housekeeping nightmare!

THE ROOM. I had reserved a veranda room, but the very accommodating receptionist quickly upgraded me to a Signature Suite with terrace when no veranda rooms were available. It was large and so very chic. The terrace rooms all seem to be on the 2nd floor with the terraces exiting onto 3 different garden courtyards. As mentioned in numerous prior reviews, the rooms are dark, with many tinted, almost useless reflective smudgeable surfaces/mirrors (even in the shower)--another housekeeping nightmare--I was compelled to leave a larger than usual tip out of sympathy. The desk lamp looks hand-blown but is insufficient. I'm sure the floor lamp styled like a tree trunk and the lighted makeup mirror in the bath were added in response to guest comments about darkness. The sofas and chairs in the living area were chic but not cushy/comfy/plush. There were several design elements that did not seem durable: the white upholstery was stained, the handles on the heavy mirrored sliding doors to the bath were loose, the leather pulls used to open the unique closet doors were frayed and weakened. The large safe is situated too high. To encourage a festive atmosphere, the minibar is very amusing and complete--large bottles of booze plus interesting mixers, a martini shaker, 2 bins of treats labeled Saints and Sinner. The bed was queen size, low (to fit into the sleek custom headboard/nightstands), not quite Westin Heavenly. The terrace showed evidence of past revelry and lack of maintenance--many cigarette butts on the ground, a cigarette burn in the sofa. The shrubs by the wall were dead (hopefully not from urine), but the bamboo was alive and the potted Meyer lemon trees were bearing fruit. There are W Hotel-like catchphrases all over, some of them "SLS", like "Scribble Little Secrets" on the pen, "Society's Latest Scandals" on the newspaper bag. In the bath, several common items were forsaken for style--no wall towel racks (just 2 stylish hooks), no bars of soap, no soap dish, no luggage rack. There were, however, huge Costco-sized bottles of hand, face and body washes, plus body lotion, shampoo and conditioner. The guest directory will tell you these are green because they are refillable. I asked the housekeeper if people take them like they do the usual mini-sized ones--she said yes, so we did. The shower is slate, mirrored, huge, with a concealed drain. I found the towels a bit small and thin, though they are custom made by D. Porthault for SLS/Starck. We could hear others guests through the bathroom vent. The guest directory makes for a fun read, is titled the "SLS Illustrated Dictionary of Services" and includes such listings as " 'Tight Buns'--see personal fitness training" and " 'zzzzz'--see linens, mattress and bedding".

THE RESTAURANTS. Dined Sunday evening at The Bazaar. We had peeked in on Saturday night--the place was teeming with foodies and revelers, the noise deafening. Sunday was much calmer (the NBA finals, which the LA Lakers clinched on this night, probably contributed). All four venues--Rojo, Blanco, Bar Centro and the Patisserie were accessible. There is an outdoor terrace, but it faces the valet drop-off area. Apparently about $22 million was put into The Bazaar alone. I was expecting a molecular gastronomy experience along the lines of Alinea or Moto in Chicago, where a meal is a 3-5 hour, sometimes solemn affair. But The Bazaar is different--tapas (traditional and modern) with some molecular gastronomy elements like liquid nitrogen, trompe l'oeil presentations, specific instructions on how to eat a particular dish correctly. Very theatrical and playful, but serious and delicious. And fast--we were done with the tasting menu, presented in "waves" rather than one dish at a time, in under 2 hours. I was a bit disappointed that the tasting menu was simply dishes off the regular menu yet cost a bit more than if ordered a la carte. The food is much better than it has to be--this place would be popular even without the foodies and four star review, and it meshes so well in atmosphere with the hotel. Apparently, there is a "fine dining" restaurant within the restaurant (it is mentioned on the website) that serves a set tasting menu 3 nights a week. There is an outpost of Moss, the great New York Soho design store, here. Hotel guests also apparently have special access to Nazarian's other restaurants/clubs/lounges.

The other restaurant, Tres, is a quiet retreat, never crowded. The menu was quite similar to the room service menu, with some prices identical as well. Tried the continental breakfast buffet one morning and it was fine, included cheeses, chacuterie and aguas frescas.

THE POOL. Located on the 6th floor. Reminiscent of the pool at the Starck-designed Mondrian Hotel. Quite See and Be Seen on the weekend, with the pools, one no more that a foot deep, secondary to the cabanas, lounge chairs/beds, and restaurant, named Altitude.

The fitness center on the 2nd floor is large and well -equipped. Did not try the adjacent spa. The business center charges for internet use.

Overall a fun, relaxing stay. We were able to walk or bike to all target areas, with the Grove being the furthest (1.2 miles) away. It doesn't seem too business oriented (except probably show business), nor too kid friendly. It is a decent value, especially compared to the luxury hotels in Beverly Hills proper (SLS is one block away from BH), though perhaps not quite as pampering an experience. Would definitely stay here again, and in fact plan to do so.
Kudos to management for reading TA reviews and responding to each individually. This is especially important since a guest comment card is not offered, although I did receive a thank-you email from the hotel afterward, and there was a link for comments.

• Stayed June 2009
4 Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Thank you for your very detailed review. This is probably the most thorough and accurate review I have read thus far.

I believe the best way to desribe the SLS Hotel is a "sophisticated, fun" hotel. We are trying to create a new paradigm in the luxury hotel business. We are constantly adjusting and improving our facilities, design, service and amenities to exceed all of our guests expectations.

I am pleasantly challenged by your staement that we do not offer a "pampering experience" as compared to other Beverly Hills hotels. This is where we can improve and we are currently working very hard to accomplish this.

Stay tuned for more great things from SLS Hotel and I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
Every Where
Reviewed June 4, 2009

we're all staying at the SLS HOTEL in LA
(previously Meridian) it's very "hip & cool" !
My company picked this hotel for us all due to 'connection' but I'm finding it REALLY hard to relax here.
This trip, I'm in LA for TWO weeks and this Hotel is not doing it for me. I would have checked out by now but unfortunately the rest of my group arrive in a couple of days and they have pre-booked this place also, so i'll stay and try to get into this 'vibe' ;-)
Currently, i am here alone but in a few days friends (with their kids) arrive!
I was booked to have a Signature suite but upon arrival i was told the room did not have a bathtub (I'm a water babe and need the tub to relax!) so i'm down graded to studio suite
This room is almost HALF the size of Sig Suite ;-( and being here for a two week stay i was hoping to have 'some space'
(i previously stayed in a deluxe room for one night, hence knowing to book a larger room this stay. i wish their website gave room size/ lay out)
It was slightly irritating that just two days prior to my arrival i was told it wasn't a problem having a big tub suite, that maybe I'd have to move rooms for one or two nights, which i said i agreed to, yet upon my arrival, i was told the ONLY suite with a bath tub was now booked the whole time i was here!
aaaahhhhhhhhh!
anyway, as i'm here, i decided to write my own little 'review' as i'm always utilizing 'trip advisor' and want to give something back.
please NOTE, what i have written in this column is a 'how i personally feel' not a reflection on the Hotel chain terms+conditions ;
this place is not kid friendly nor practical (watch this space, i'll let you know how the kids get on here once they arrive!).... but here is an 'honest' review from me of the experience so far-
fyi P.S. stands for Philippe Starck, the Hotel designer. i have tried to be positive for every negative statement made (just the kinda girl i am he he ).
1, no bath in 98% of rooms (it's ok, if yr only here for a night but any longer and can be a pain!)
1a, beautiful designer large bath tub - if u can get it! (only a handful in the rooms in Hotel, and then, only in rooms with two twin beds, not KING bed rooms....)If you do manage to secure one, it's heavenly....
2, in the standard shower cubicles (not rooms with bath!) shower has one angled head which is so high up that yr hair gets wet ALWAYS regardless if you wanted to wash yr hair or not! Also have to walk and stand IN shower to turn it on (getting splashed in cold water until it heats up) Bring shower cap as not supplied!
2a, shower cubicles HUGE -could put a bath in here hint hint ha ha ;-) or get up to mischief in this space he he
3, safe is on TOP shelf in wardrobe, so you need a chair to access it (unless yr a basketball player!)
3a, safe big enough to put a laptop
4, wardrobes so small that if you stay any longer than 3 days yr screwed
4a, pretty pictures on wardrobe doors (VERY signature P.S. design)
5, no drawers to stash underwear etc!
5a, nice shelves with martini makers and drinks cabinet
6a, hangers in wardrobe are beautiful but HUGE, more than 5 and no more room for clothes!
7, restaurant ALWAYS fully booked in hotel (even as in-house guest i cant get a table till 10pm+ and that's a booking for a Thursday night- trying to book for 3 days in advance!) so unless you pre-booked weeks in advance, go find somewhere else to eat.
7a, Bazar restaurant really nice, try getting a booking MAKE IN ADVANCE or hang out for a drink at the 'be seen' bar instead ;-) or have afternoon tea here at the chocolate counter, VERY yummy! I actually really like this concept, though i worry the kids will knock over the statues etc surrounding the place inside - even i got conscience of knocking anything!
8, hotel rooms are VERY dark! (EVERYONE complains about this) they have had to give me extra standing lamps just to do work on my laptop. it's also quite a challenge putting on makeup, not sure if i'm looking like a Vegas Show girl going out ;-)
8a, upside to this is it's romantic (?)
9, paper thin walls. i could hear my neighbor unzipping their suitcase and talking in the morning
9a, guess the upside is security can hear anything and help if need be ....(i heard them walking around and talking on their walkie talkie last night)
10, not enough 'table top' area in room or bathroom to put laptop, mobile phone etc (let alone make up, wash bag etc etc )
10a, the Starckness makes the room appear bigger ;-)
11, teething problems with 'housekeeping' so far both days i left the note on bed and towels on floor to be changed, yet i was given the same linens just folded ;-(
11a, they really are trying very hard to improve and welcome the call to fix the issues.
12, personally, i like a coffee / tea maker in my rooom, there isnt one here
12a, as i had some issues upon check-in, the very very sweet man at the front of house, who showed me to my room, brought a coffee maker to my room for my personal use *this i'm most grateful for*
13, my simple breakfast order arrived wrong. I ordered green tea with soy milk on the side, got Earl gray tea with regular milk (and the hot water smelt of coffee.....word to mgmt, use different pots for tea and coffee pls!)
14, the pool is not a 'swimming pool' but 'be seen' dipping pool. i'm just a little to self conscience i guess.
14a, upside, it is VERY beautifully designed and modern. great views on a clear day as it's on the roof top. i also, enjoy eating at the restaurant by it, grabbing a simple sandwich.
15, concierge are a little all over the place. messages never get followed up if the person is not around i.e. if you asked one member of staff to book something, then ONLY liaise with THAT member as it seems to get 'lost' in the system. (heavy tipping still doesnt help!)
15a, ......eh, they look cute at their door table. Actually, Casey (one of the staff) was very sweet and gave our group a complimentary drink while we waited for him to make a restaurant booking for us *Bazar was full so we had to go elswwhere, admittedly, it was a Friday night last minute booking after all*
16, the spa - it was FREEZING! which made me quite tense and i caught a slight chill from it ;-( the 'wet room' faces the waiting room so you hear people coming in and out constantly (the jingle of their locker keys and hum of conversation)
16a, even with all that, i had a truly awesome experience and would definately go back (even as an outside guest!) the girl doing the treatment was exceptional, she put heat packs to warm me up and did a fantastic job of the treatment. It was over and above service expected. i highly recommend this!

i have to say overall STAFF is the greatest thing about this whole Hotel experience! *well done!*
They are All very attentative are SO very sweet and are really really trying hard to be accommodating (one guy in particular is worth his weight in gold as a staff member here! always smiling and going above and beyond the call of duty, trying to rectify things and make the guests experience an enjoyable one! thank you!!!! *sorry if i seemed to have been snappy at you*)
In all honesty, it's just the way the hotel has been designed it's not user friendly.
nice to look at, not so nice to stay at! Philippe Starck should stick to make his beautifuly pretty pieces of furniture and other items and leave room / interior design to others (unless he has LOADS of space to put his beautiful designs, as unfortunately, they dont seem to work on a practical, every day level)

ahhhhhh.... i HAVE to try liking this hotel (i am SO trying to be *cool & Hip* ha ha, i must, i must, but not sure i'd stay here again if my trip is any longer than 3 days (unless i manage to secure a bathtub Signature suite!!)

hope this review helps you make up your own mind?
happy travelling!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, June 10, 2009
Thank you for your very detailed feedback. I appreciate the time you must have spent to provide me your comments on your current visit. I will be sure to share your thoughts with our hotel staff.

We continue to address (and adjust where we can) the hotel's physical design based on our guests likes and dislikes. We are also constantly improving our processes to be more efficient. However, I am pleased to learn that you find our staff attentive and accommodating!

I believe we have arranged to move you to an accommodation that has the amenities which are very important to you (tub). We have also left you messages to make sure that you are comfortable.

I look forward to hearing from you before your departure.

Thank you again for your comments and please enjoy the remainder of your stay.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 26, 2009

While the SLS hotel is striking in it's design, it isn't always functional. I paid extra for a "spacious private balcony" which in reality was a bit smaller than the kind of tiny balcony you would find in a college dorm. The showers are spacious but you have to stand in the middle to turn it on, which means you get to experience the first burst of freezing cold water as you reach forward trying to turn the knob towards warm side as quickly as possible. The rooms are very dark resulting in a theater make up if you aren't careful. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and save this place from being 100% fluff. Bottom line- there is a lot of competition and you can buy more class and comfort for the same rate several other places.
FYI- parking is $32 / day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, June 21, 2009
Thank you for your feedback in particular the comments on the design vs. function aspects of the hotel.

As I have mentioned before to other reviewers, we continue to address (and adjust where we can) the hotel's physical design based on our guests likes and dislikes. However, I am pleased that you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating. I trust the service experience will be the most memorable experience for you at the SLS Hotel.

The SLS Hotel is an excellent example of the New Design Style which Starck is a master. In this style of design aesthetically pleasing objects appear to be more effective because they create an emotional connection.

I know we offer an unique style of class and comfort.

If you would like to give us another opportunity to try out this "new paradigm in the luxury hotel experience" please feel free to contact me at the SLS Hotel.
seattle
Reviewed May 20, 2009

i had one of the worst stays ever at this hotel, i am sad to say.
i booked this hotel thinking that it was a luxury hotel and expecting the service that usually goes with this claim. unfortunately i was sorely disappointed.
when i arrived at the hotel, i was met with excellent service by the valets. walking into the hotel, i was impressed by the beautiful and eccentric decor. you can tell they put a lot of thought into creating a unique experience characterized by class as well as quirkiness. loved the interiors of the restaurant and lobby, albeit it was a tad busy.
check-in was when the experience began to decline. i had to wait 10 minutes for check-in because there was only one person at the front desk. when i arrived at the room i thought it was nicely decorated, unlike any hotel i've seen. the sliding glass wall between the room and the bathroom was a nice touch, as well as the exquisite glassware. however, when i tried to get ready for dinner that night i was unable to find a single well lit mirror in the entire place (even though the entire room is covered in mirrors!). after a fun evening out i returned to the room only to find that there had been no turn down service.... a quick phone call remedied this but i didn't understand why this was not done in the first place. i crawled into bed and proceeded to have the worst night of sleep ever. it sounded like i was staying in a dormitory. every door of every room that slammed was so loud that i woke up every 10 minutes thruout the night. the next day i woke up and showered. for some reason, there is a tub with a curtain around it and a shower attachment aimed in the tub.... but unbeknownst to me there was also a shower attachment OUTSIDE the tub as well! needless to say the entire bathroom was soaked. i decided to go shopping for the day to escalate my mood and when i returned to the hotel at 6pm to get ready for dinner again, the room STILL hadn't been made up. they asked us to hang out in the bar while they made up the room... unacceptable. we complained to the hotel manager about the excessive noise the next day and he was extremely nice, he upgraded us to a room on a higher floor. on our way up in the elevator, we ran into another guest who said he was having a "miserable" time because of the noise on the second floor. the room on the 7th floor was much better as far as noise went and so i got a better sleep the next night. however, again there was no turndown service. i asked for a wake up call the next day which did not come. consequently i missed my flight and an appointment. i decided to have brunch at bazaar since i had extra time which was a horrifying experience in itself. the food took 30 minutes to arrive and our server had a terribly uppity attitude. after complaining to the manager, he seemed indifferent and unapologetic.
this entire experience was completely disappointing and unfitting for a hotel that calls itself one of the finest luxury hotels in beverly hills (not even technically in beverly hills!). i would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank vickstravels
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to provide me with such detail of your visit. I have followed up on all the items you described.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. I hope that you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and to show you what so many other guests have been impressed with at the SLS Hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservations.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#51 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!