“terrible experience... will not be back!”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed May 20, 2009

i had one of the worst stays ever at this hotel, i am sad to say.
i booked this hotel thinking that it was a luxury hotel and expecting the service that usually goes with this claim. unfortunately i was sorely disappointed.
when i arrived at the hotel, i was met with excellent service by the valets. walking into the hotel, i was impressed by the beautiful and eccentric decor. you can tell they put a lot of thought into creating a unique experience characterized by class as well as quirkiness. loved the interiors of the restaurant and lobby, albeit it was a tad busy.
check-in was when the experience began to decline. i had to wait 10 minutes for check-in because there was only one person at the front desk. when i arrived at the room i thought it was nicely decorated, unlike any hotel i've seen. the sliding glass wall between the room and the bathroom was a nice touch, as well as the exquisite glassware. however, when i tried to get ready for dinner that night i was unable to find a single well lit mirror in the entire place (even though the entire room is covered in mirrors!). after a fun evening out i returned to the room only to find that there had been no turn down service.... a quick phone call remedied this but i didn't understand why this was not done in the first place. i crawled into bed and proceeded to have the worst night of sleep ever. it sounded like i was staying in a dormitory. every door of every room that slammed was so loud that i woke up every 10 minutes thruout the night. the next day i woke up and showered. for some reason, there is a tub with a curtain around it and a shower attachment aimed in the tub.... but unbeknownst to me there was also a shower attachment OUTSIDE the tub as well! needless to say the entire bathroom was soaked. i decided to go shopping for the day to escalate my mood and when i returned to the hotel at 6pm to get ready for dinner again, the room STILL hadn't been made up. they asked us to hang out in the bar while they made up the room... unacceptable. we complained to the hotel manager about the excessive noise the next day and he was extremely nice, he upgraded us to a room on a higher floor. on our way up in the elevator, we ran into another guest who said he was having a "miserable" time because of the noise on the second floor. the room on the 7th floor was much better as far as noise went and so i got a better sleep the next night. however, again there was no turndown service. i asked for a wake up call the next day which did not come. consequently i missed my flight and an appointment. i decided to have brunch at bazaar since i had extra time which was a horrifying experience in itself. the food took 30 minutes to arrive and our server had a terribly uppity attitude. after complaining to the manager, he seemed indifferent and unapologetic.
this entire experience was completely disappointing and unfitting for a hotel that calls itself one of the finest luxury hotels in beverly hills (not even technically in beverly hills!). i would never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank vickstravels
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2009

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to provide me with such detail of your visit. I have followed up on all the items you described.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. I hope that you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and to show you what so many other guests have been impressed with at the SLS Hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservations.

Thank you again for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills

Reviewed May 19, 2009

My husband booked an overnight stay at SLS for my birthday. From the minute we checked in, the staff treated us like king and queen. Even the spa staff was aware that it was my birthday and made sure that I had everything that I needed. After returning to our room in the evening, I found that our turndown service had included a cake as well as a handwritten note from management wishing me a happy birthday. Now that is what I call service! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2009

Thank you very much for your positive feedback which I will be sure to share with our SLS Hotel Ambassadors.

Your comments inspire us to continue to work toward achieving the standard of luxury that we strive for at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills.

Reviewed May 5, 2009

Only stayed one night just to go to the Bazaar restaurant. I have stayed at too many hip boutique hotels with terrible & too young staff, but my impression here was the opposite. They got the design right, if you appreciate that thing, and they must have actually trained the (young) staff in hospitality. Great service from the bell captain who walked us to the front desk from our car. Great service from bell boy who brought our bags to the room & walked away with our shoes to shine for dinner that night (his suggestion and complimentary). Tried the pool bar Altitude, very good food and fun LA vibe. Tried the lobby bar and had good drinks and good service. Had a signature suite and loved the layout and decor, very playful and interesting with all the mirrored surfaces. I would stay here again, and I would consider one of their other hotels once they open.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roadtripSanDiego_CA

Thank you for the positive comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed the unique design of the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills as well as the service. I will share your comments with our SLS Hotel Ambassadors.

The opportunity to experience Jose Andres' food and beverage throughout the hotel is definetely a great reason to check-in.

Future SLS Hotels are planned for Miami Beach, Florida and Las Vegas!

Reviewed April 21, 2009

Stayed here in April with my partner who was in LA for business. They had sent him a 'founder member' card for the SLS, so thought we would give it a go. Normally stay at the 4 Seasons, but as the pool was closed for maintenance work, we decided to try the SLS - Big mistake! Had booked for a week but left after a couple of days. The hotel is a triumph of style over practicality and substance, everything is designed to death.

First the positve stuff: Stayed in a 'Signature Suite', which was large, stylish and comfortable.

Now the not so good:
Check in took 20 minutes, they had one person on the check in desk and a line of about 10 people waiting to check in/out. Needless to say the room wasn't ready and was not ready for over an hour after the time they said it would be.
Pool area really looks attractive, but it doesn't work well - no shade, unless you buy a Cabana, which don't come with sun lounging chairs. Also no shade in the Cafe by the pool which is very odd - particularly when it was 95F.
We took breakfast in the lobby area one morning - strangest buffet breakfast ever. They put three of everything on the counter...three croissant, three glasses of fruit salad, three parfait's and a plate with a few bits of ham on it - very weird. Once a couple of guests have been to the buffet, there is nothing left on the counter and they were very slow at replenishing it. Looks lovely, but just doesn't work. The next day we had breakfast in the room, which was fine apart from the fact that the coffee came in a couple of French Presses, that leaked and the coffee was cold.
Overall the staff were a bunch of young kids, who were generally disinterested. Not the professional hotel staff you would expect at a top quality hotel and not in the same league as the staff and service of the Four Seasons. They also charged us for parking each day, which was supposed to be free to 'sls founder members' !
We moved to the Peninsula, where the service was immaculate and the room rate lower.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jwsherratt

Thank you for your comments however I am embarrassed that your visit with us was not stellar.

Your feedback is useful as we have done the following since your visit; each of our seven pool cabanas has its own set of sun loungers now, umbrellas are available and we have checked all of our French Press coffee carafs for leaks.

Our breakfast buffet continues to be quite poplular due to the quality, selection of the food and beverage and its unique presentatation. Also, we have added more staff in order to replenish quicker.

Reviewed April 20, 2009

Very subdued lighting and disorienting with all the reflections of self and others because of the mirrors. Service was not over the top but adequate, drains were sluggish. Loved the bath and bed though and after all isn't that what you really need in a hotel. The Spa was wonderful. A great one time visit. Morton's Steakhouse was open later than hotel restaurant. Nice neighborhood directly behind for pleasant walking off busy La Cienega.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BJBDallas_tX

Thank you for your comments. We continually strive to improve our service and to provide memorable experiences for all of our guests.

We have recently purchased and installed addittional floor lamps and desk lamps for all of our guest rooms and suites. So, our guests can now brighten up our subdued lighting if the mood suits them!

Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed here with colleagues who gushed about how fantastic the hotel was - honestly, no idea what the appeal was. When we arrived I had a pretty good idea of what was to come ... there was a Porsche, a McLaren and an Aston Martin parked out front (among other high end and six-figure vehicles). The restaurant / bar next door (Bazaar) was already bumping and overflowing at 8p - it was full of packs of cougars, celebrities, gawkers and industry people. Bring your glamour gear - everyone is dressed to the nines. And don't expect a quiet stay. If you are interested in celebrity spottings, this is definitely a place for you ... over the course of my short stay, I saw Alton Brown, Keenan Ivory and Marlon Wayans and Brittany Daniel among others I couldn't place names to faces. About the room - another reviewer said it best: overpriced Aloft decor. Spot on! There are some very quirky pieces, which make the room interesting and edgy (but it hardly warrants the cost). I have to admit, the bed and robe were exquisite. The minibar had some different selections and a lot of booze and mixers. This is a party spot!! The bathroom has a sliding mirror / door that opens the bedroom and bathroom, which make it feel a bit more open. In fact, nearly the entire room was mirrored, so it feels much bigger than it really is. Despite all of the mirrors, it is difficult to apply makeup and do hair because of the extremely poor lighting. I had every light on in the room and even opened the drapery to let sunshine in and couldn't get enough light (it was a gorgeous day outside but the walled in patio blocked the light from entering. Overall, not impressed. Certainly not worth the cost - even if you're a luxury traveler. About the restaurant, Bazaar - the place is packed. Even though you're a hotel guest, expect to wait 3+ hours for a table. The bar has wonderful tapas and appetizers (pricey though!!) but don't expect to get a table here either without bottle service. We ate at the bar (my colleagues had befriended a server, who slipped us into a table) and the food was tasty. I highly recommend the kobe beef "philly cheesestakes," which are like butter. Literally, they melt in your mouth. Also, the magical mojitos are wonderful (and dangerous). A cocktail glass is brought over full of cotton candy and the drink is poured over it (dissolving the confection entirely). FYI - lots of drugs happening in the bathroom (don't be surprised). About the room service - arrived promptly, but was cold and overcooked!! Very disappointing. Also, very limited menu. About service - SNOBBY SNOBBY SNOBBY! I had some slight issues with my reservation, which I had booked through my employer's travel agency of record. The desk made it a point to belittle me for using a travel agency to other folks checking in - really?? Not appropriate. The irony is I normally don't use the agency; I just happened to get an exceptionally great rate for my last minute trip. When I had issues connecting to the WiFi, I had to call three different folks to get it situated. And, upon checking out, I was told my revised receipt would be emailed to me. I had the front desk repeat back my email address and assure me it would be sent in just a few hours. Three days later, it still hasn't arrived. I called and was told my email was never on file. Again, really??? When a room costs as much as these do - service really ought to be top-notch.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Elena N

Firstly, thank you for your feedback. It is very helpful and useful for us so that we can constantly improve.

The success of The Bazaar by Jose Andres is well known and we are busy every evening. However, we have recently improved our communication with our hotel guests by advising them prior to their arrival to make a dinner reservation. We have also reserved more tables for hotel guests who wish to dine with us last minute. Our Concierge can accomodate much easier now.

Also, we have purchased lighted make up mirrors which have been placed in all guest rooms and suites and Jose has redone the entire In Room Dining menu to ensure a better experience.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2009

Ok, I am a 5 year SPG Platinum member who has stayed all over the world at anything from The Luxury Collection, St Regis, to Four Points and I have never been let down the way this hotel let me down.

Very quickly... I planned a shopping adventure for my wife's Birthday and The SLS was currently running an ad campaign mentioning how they were raising the bar to the luxury experience so I chose to stay there, plus one of our favorite chefs worked at SLS.
I made the call, talked to the Front desk and Concierge and they both assured me we'd have a special room with a welcome birthday gift. We arrived in the early evening to find ourselves in a line of 12 cars waiting for valet (thanks to the hotel night club).
The Night went this way:
1. No assistance with our luggage until after I personally grabbed a luggage cart.
2. After walking into the room I noticed no gift, no birthday wish, and we got a room that must have been the cheapest in the hotel even though I paid $400.
3. The TV in the Room didn't work, had audio with no video.
4. The shower (stupid design) drain was clogged preventing us from even using it.
5. The sink leaked all over the floor every time you used it.
6. The SPA was closed.
7. The biggest problem of all was the level of customer service. I called the Front desk manager to get assistance with all the problems above starting that night. I called 3 times and zero solutions were offered including moving our room. It took 3 days and a treat to write a review like this before I heard from the Hotel GM via email finally someone who cared about us.

In summary, I paid $400 for a birthday that was the worst! No Valet service, no Champagne, no Shower, No TV, No SPA, and NO SERVICE at this hotel could be found. The Rooms look like the much less expensive A-Loft Hotel ($89 per room). Do not waste you money unless you like to be treated like *&%^....

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank justinb00

I remember your visit and once again please accept my regrets for all of the inconveniences you experienced. I have followed up on all of the issues that you mentioned to me.

I have invited you back and on behalf of all of us here at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, we hope to welcome you back soon and to give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Thank you.

Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!