“Stay elsewhere!”

Ranked #29 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City
“Stay elsewhere!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

With so many fabulous places to stay in LA- don't stay here. I checked in for a long weekend with a friend. We were using points, so we were initially thrilled. The location of the hotel is great- no complaints there.

POOL: The pool area is visually beautiful but a mess. The service was a disaster. Everybody complaining. There were three servers for the whole pool area (which wasnt even full) and they couldn't get it together. They never even came over to ask if I wanted something, when I asked for a menu, the waiter brought it and never came back. I finally had to order at the bar but it took 1 hour for a salad. Many people actually left the pool area to get drink someplace else.

ROOM: Gross! Hated it. It actually gave me anxiety. Literally it's almost in complete darkness. The room is also not efficiently laid out. I.e. There are no plugs for phones next to bed, no dresser or area to put your luggage on. The beds were comfortable and seemed clean but again, i couldnt see much so maybe not? The bathroom was the worst part. Good luck putting on makeup in darkness. The tub was 3 feet high and you actually have to climb into it- no shower. It was surrounded by a dingy yellow shower curtain- something out of a 1970s hotel.

BAZAAR: The actual restaurant in the hotel is super nice. I honestly can't complain there and I had I just went to the hotel only to eat at Bazaar I would have liked it. We had a late lunch there and then the next day, we had pre-dinner drinks. Both days we had great service. The vibe is perfect in there and our food/snacks were delicious.

Overall, I would never ever stay there again. I was so beyond happy when I checked out knowing I would never have to come back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate experiences you encountered during your recent stay. I can assure you, I will be speaking personally with our Altitude pool staff to ensure these problems are put to rest, as I would not want any other guest to experience what you have. Your overall feedback is greatly important to us as we continue to grow our brand. I would ask that you reach out to us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com so that we can best understand the challenges you encountered as well as hopefully speak to you about a return to the property so we can show you just how magical SLS truly is.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Copley, Ohio
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I wish I would have stayed at the W westwood. I booked this w/ an SPG promotion that I had & was excited to stay at such a nice hotel for our one and only night in Beverly Hills. I picked this hotel over the W Westwood because it is ranked by SPG as the better property..... Everything was pretty good w/ the room until it was time to go to bed. We were heading home the next day & had no interest in the LA party scene...... Although, we probably should have just gone out. Went to bed around 11ish and I was woke up a million times by whatever was below me. I heard live music and people, so I think it was Bazaar or the bar at the hotel. I felt like I was given the loud room because i booked the hotel w/ points vs. being a big spender at this hotel. This gave me a real bad taste of how the hotel treats their starwood preferred guests. I guess lesson learned...

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jjhuth
First and foremost, thank you for your continued loyalty to Starwood. Thank you so much for visiting our property; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you had with us. I can assure you, we value our Starwood members with such pride and appreciation and I'm so sorry to hear that you feel we fell short of that. Your loyalty means so much to us and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the property so we can show you how magical SLS truly is. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com should you wish to speak to us further regarding the details of your stay.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 20, 2014

In all fairness, I had booked this room using Starwood Points I have earned over the past couple of years which is why my review gets two stars - that being said….

Very disappointing stay. To start off with, room was not ready upon arrival even thought the hotel seemed rather empty. Went to the pool and the wait staff was an absolute disaster. Took 45 minutes to get a drinks (each time) and ordering food was even worse. Everyone was complaining and the manager, seemed flustered but didn't do anything at all to improve the situation… In fact, he accidentally brought us a duplicate drink order and rather then offer the extra one complimentary, we watched him pour it down the sink (what?) Additionally, the scene was completely lame and there were two prostitutes sitting across from me the entire day flirting with an overweight european man 40 years their elder. Thanks but no thanks...

Then we get to the room….In a word they are depressing. Very dark, strange and uncomfortable layout. We couldn't wait to get out of the hotel each morning. Had I actually paid to stay here I would have checked out a day early.

If you are coming to LA, which is such a bright, sunny and active city, I would re-consider staying at the SLS. There are so many other options that feel more relevant for this city. I've stayed at the W in West Hollywood, The Luxe, The Mosaic and the Reg Bev Wil and they are all much better options.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jonathan L
Thank you for your recent stay with us; however, I'm sorry we fell short of your expectations. We are very fortunate to have the Philippe Starck designs throughout the hotel; however, should you wish to speak to us further please do not hesitate to contact us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com so that we can best understand the challenges you encountered. Thank you.
Cincinnati
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Loved the SLS....the hotel feels very LA. The lobby is dark and sexy. The bar is fun (expensive) but great drinks. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is amazing (big tub). The lighting in the bathroom is very dark...apply makeup in bedroom area! Our room had a view of the Hollywood sign. The pool is a MUST! The food at pool and drinks were excellent. We used the hotel car many times and the service was excellent (we used the sedan and van) to take you to a location. The breakfast was memorable (quail eggs a must).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and the wonderful review. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!
Porter Ranch, California, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Beautiful property, and beautiful people.
SLS epitomizes the chic LA where picture is worth a thousand words.
The service was highly attentive and very ambitious.

Upon check in, I was acknowledged my platinum status and was immediately provided for all the benefits that was entitled to the status. They were VERY apologetic for not able to upgrade us to a suite room, and even took good 10 minutes looking through their entire system to see if any availability could be had.
Instead of a simple no, they went out of their way to make SURE.

The rooftop pool was very beautiful, and the people that was utilizing it were even more so.
I can see that it wasn't a place for a family, but for people who are wanting to tan and show off their bodies...
Needless to say, lot of beautiful people utilized the pools...

PROS:
The entire hotel is very stylish and chic.
VERY CLEAN.
The breakfast spread was excellent, and the decor for the restaurant was highly memorable and impressive.
Service was spot on and was VERY attentive, each and every time.

CON:
Our room was spacious, but it seemed that it lacked a furniture or something...there was a big space that was void. Second desk or possibly a small sofa or chair would've made a good fit for that empty space.
Pool service seemed lacking and not so proactive, as I am accustomed to at St Regis and the likes. This was the ONLY area that the service seemed to decline.

CONCLUSION:
I would definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Sherwood, Oregon
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was very excited to stay at the SLS Beverly Hills. I have driven by it many times, and thought" I want to stay there". I had the opportunity last weekend. I was impressed at arrival. Fast valet. Beautiful entrance. Amazing design. Then I tried to check in. The staff at the front desk is not up to par. I expect exemplary knowledgable, friendly staff at check in to such a hotel. The staff at the front desk were not that.

Now to the rooms. I had to change rooms 4 times! The first room smelled of cigarettes. How can they not notice that, before offering a room to someone? The second was promoted on the website as having a freestanding bath, and a freestanding shower. This was not true. Street noise was unbearable in this room as well. Get a room not facing La Cienega. Moved again. Third room smelled like musty shower curtains. Finally moved to final room, and was happy. The manager on duty made an effort to accommodate me. He offered spa credit, and 2 bottles of champagne, free wifi, which was also supposed to be included anyway as per the website, and truffles. I was ok with those gestures, but would have expected more for my numerous troubles. A room upgrade would have been the right thing to do, as well as comped food, etc. this was supposed to be a relaxing 2 day stay, and the first 6 hours was a nightmare.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel. The restaurants were fantastic. The spa was very nice. The overall ambience was beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing La Cienega. Way too loud!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Sweetb1
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall experience, but please accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered during your arrival to your room. I have taken your feedback to my management team to best review the details you have shared with us, to avoid this in the future. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at the SLS when they first opened and were fairly horrified at the haughty demeanor of the staff, and the bad service we received. However after five years of traveling to LA several times a year we thought we'd give it another go, since we got a pretty good rate and could use Starwood points. We also LOVE the restaurant: Bazaar, by Jose Andres. ( we also ate at Tres this stay, which was good...but not the Bazaar good) This time, for a week long stay, we had great service, REALLY friendly and accommodating, if somewhat disorganized (had to ask for a lightbulb to be replaced in my already dim bathroom four times) We did have to wait for a room, even though we arrived after 4 pm, but we were given a complimentary drink in the comfortable bar, and hadn't even finished our glass of wine when they came to get us. They were great about our dog-love a pet-friendly hotel- and it's just a beautiful comfortable place with some of the best people watching around. Beautiful people wearing beautiful fashion.
Pros: the Phillipe Stark decor, the staff and service, (this time!) the restaurants, pool tables on every floor (my son and I played every night) the beautiful spa, the outdoor seating area, and the location. Also it seemed I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator, which was great for me since I had to walk my dog a lot.
Cons: Hate how dark the room is...wish at least the bathroom was brighter! Valet is expensive-but hey-it's LA-and the guys were very professional and gracious. (Tip: our daughter-who lives in LA would come every day for a an hour or two before we all went out and pay 16$. On the last day, I discovered she could have parked right behind the hotel for free!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EGoldenberg
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear you gave us a second chance and so happy to hear you were pleased with your experience. We pride ourselves on service excellence and I'm sorry to hear that you did not experience during your first stay with us. We do hope to see you in the near future! Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#45 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!