“Lots of great 5* hotels options in LA”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #24 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I travel a lot for business so I have seen crappy hotels, so when for its pleasure we always stay in great hotels. This review is based on what is expected and usually experienced, and why we accept to pay for when vacationing in 5* properties.

The SLS BH is 4.5* hotel at most.
Staff is nice but having been in LA many times, there are better alternatives.
The check-in clerk ignored our upgrade request, even if we are Starwood.
We went 2 nights with no turn down, even after we requested it and the extra comforter never came.

The rooms are decent size but the décor is obscure. Not much light in the room. It’s very W style, if I wanted to stay @ a W I would of. The 2 restaurants are great, especially The Bazaar. The breakfast has a poor buffet, the attempt at molecular cuisine went it comes to breakfast is just weird. It’s just breakfast! Keep it simple and use the cooking experimentation for diner or lunch. The location is good, next to mall and busy streets with great restaurants for all budgets. The Lander at Burton way Cafe next door is amazing for breakfast.

The pool area is great, the staff is fantastic. The cabanas are ridiculously expensive for what you get and what you need to spend. They have nothing for groups of 2 or 4 ppl.

There are many great hotels options in LA for all budgets, I recommend the Mondrian, The Chamberlain, The Montage or the Roosevelt.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the parking lot, it might me a bad view but much quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I'm sorry to learn that we fell short of your expectations. I'd like to ask that should you wish to speak about your stay further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com so that we can best understand your concern from your stay with us. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,890)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Like this idea? Then this is your property. Thanks to Philippe Starck the design is fantastic. Suite I got was really just a large room. Lots of mirrors. So if you feel in the mood for self admiration in the bathroom, its perfect for you. Made me feel like going on the master cleanse and hitting the gym. It's total hollywood--for better or worse. Room service was excellent as was service. Pool is full of starlettes and boy toys. Ask your doctor for a z pack after your soak.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Whether it may be business or pleasure, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

As it is stated, it is a luxury collection of Sheraton and it is luxury and located in Beverly Hills.

If u plan to go to Santa Monica, Hollywood and of-course Beverly Hills with sufficient budget, this SLS is your choice.

It might be better for ppl aged over 30..

The staff were professional, and check in process was comfortable.

The bed was comfortable and I like the room design. However, another sign indicating it is a luxury hotel is that it asks for everything for money, even in room, ,from the water, the liquor and even bath stuff, also as a Sheraton hotel, Internet charge is a must....Parking is 36 per day, the parking assistants were really friendly..

Technically, don't expect a view room...It is next to Los Angeles, no good views...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay; however, as a part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Luxury Collection it is our hope to exceed your expectations, and I'm sorry this did not happen. I'd like to ask that you email us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com to further discuss any challenges you encountered during your recent stay.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is very swank, great location, and the bazaar nightclub located in the hotel is flat out off the chain. Just be sure to bring your best outfits and shoes, or you will not fit in with this high class crowd. Room was very nice, great service. On Sundays they do a pool party on the roof which was very busy and fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mgh412

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had such high expectations to arrive and stay at what were told was 'the hotel' to stay in Beverly Hills. Our troubles began immediately upon check-in, which we didn't get to check-in at normal check-in time. We waited 3 hours to get our room. Upon getting into the room, it was dark due to poor lighting as well as many of the lights didn't work at all. We finally were able to unpack, settle-in and were hoping for a restful night. Upon pulling the linens down on the bed, to our surprise, ants were in the bed to greet us. Staff moved us to room # 2, to what staff stated was "elite suite." Luckily no ants in our bed, however the aroma of mildew overwhelmed us from the bathroom. The shower curtain and the wooden bench were covered with mildew.

We would not return to this overpriced dirty hotel nor recommend it. The hotel restaurant staff was friendly and accommodating. We still wonder how this hotel gets top rating?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Karie R

Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly HIlls; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate experience you had. I know you have been in touch with our management; however, I'd ask you to contact us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollectxion.com so that we can further speak about your experience to best understand the challenges you encountered. We do hope to welcome you back to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, so we can show you how magical it truly is.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a trendy hotel with a nice ambience, although extremely dim lit. The room was unique and although aesthically pleasing a little unfunctional. The dining on site is plentiful and palatable however expensive. Great spot to see celebrities and the pool is entertaining and energetic.

• Stayed: July 2013
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I'm sorry to learn of some of the challenges you faced during your stay. I do greatly appreciate your feedback, as it is extremely important as we continue to grow our brand in the community, as well as globally. We do hope you will consider a second visit, and again, thank you for your comments so we can continue to improve.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently stayed with my family at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills. it was the first time I have stayed at this property. Because of a health issue, I had some special requests. I googled the name of the Hotel's General Manager and sent him an email with my requests. The Hotel General Manager, Xavier Moulin, responded to my request almost immediately. He indicated that he would do his very best to honor my request and then went on to indicate that he would like to provide me with an amenity upon my arrival, but asked my preference of several different choices because of my health situation. When we arrived at the hotel, my requests were not only honored, but Mr. Moulin went well beyond my request in terms of both a wonderful upgrade plus several amenities. I am rarely one to dole out praise. In fact, I am more quick to write a review when something goes wrong. In this case, I can't say enough wonderful things about this property and its staff, led by Mr. Moulin. The level of service was quite frankly over the top, and I am saying this after having stayed at some of the finest hotels in Asia, a continent known for incredible service at higher end hotels. Every single staff person I encountered during my stay was cheerful and helpful. It was clear to me that this property has skilled and top notch management. Prior to my stay, I read some of the other trip advisor reviews, and noted some that were not overly positive. But after reading the handful of complaints, it just reinforced my opinion, as a fairly frequent traveler, that most frustrating situations could have been avoided with advance communication. There was no way this property could have known about my special needs without my advance notice, and once I provided that input to the hotel, the GM was more than happy to make sure my needs were met. This is clearly a hotel that I will return to, whether I am in the area for business or pleasure, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great hotel and a memorable (Phillipe Stark design) stay. My kudos to Mr. Moulin and his entire staff.

Room Tip: Don't be shy! If you have a special need, or even a special request, let the hotel know! Most...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank attorneyd

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you, and I'm so happy my staff and I were able to provide accommodations for you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Downtown
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
#13 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!