“Family friendly stay, convenient to everything!”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #29 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Family friendly stay, convenient to everything!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the SLS Hotel in Los Angeles from 11/22/12-11/30/12. We rented a car for the week and upon arrival the valet was very courteous and throughout our trip were extremely helpful (especially when arriving back at the hotel with 2 sleeping children). We stayed in a Signature Suite, which had plenty of room for our family of four (we used a cot for the kids). The only drawback is that yes, the rooms are DARK. We faced the inside courtyard and were sad the windows didn't open. With that said, the staff at the SLS were always going above and beyond. Our kids had a 24 hr stomach bug which required sheet changes in the middle of the night, and they promptly sent someone to help me and even called a few times to check on the kids and offered to send us crackers and ginger ale. Very kind of them. We had a couple of days at the rooftop pool, which the kids loved because it was shallow. The food by the pool was excellent as was the service (wish I remembered our waitress' name). I have to say being from New York, we were not totally impressed by The Bazaar (I'll save that for a review of the restaurant). We took the kids to Disneyland and could not believe how close it was (35-40 mins ). We were very happy with our choice of hotel and would definitely return! Thanks SLS for the Super Luxurious Stay ;)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PartyOfFourPlease
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind remarks - they will be shared with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Until then, Savor Life Slowly...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London UK
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The SLS hotel offers a stay tailored to your visit. I visited on business in LA and had a quiet relaxing stay for 6 nights. The service, valet, rooms and location were perfect. Concierge was great and the complementary house car a nice addition.

The bed was so very comfortable!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Josh H
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. I will be sure to share them with our staff!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

On January 19, 2013 we celebrated a birthday party for one of my client's daughters. From the very beginning of the process, it was an uphill battle with the hotel staff.

The summary in chronological order as follows:

1. The first sales associate assigned to my account for the event.
• While the associate behaved in a very dismissive way, she failed to provide me with a receipt for $5,000 cash payment in a timely manner.
2. I requested a change of sales manager to prevent further misunderstandings
• It took me two (2) full days of inquiring to get to the director of sales.
• After talking to the director of sales, she assigned a different sales associate who, she specifically said would call me within 24hrs, he failed to do so.
• After waiting seven (7) business days, I called this new associate, who told me that he had "called last week and left a message” and that he didn’t “know what happened?!" No apology, no follow up call.
• He not only called me a liar indirectly, but the tone of his voice was unapologetic and defiant.
3. Upon meeting with sales associate for the first time.
• After confronting him on his claim that he had called me the week before in front of his boss, he quickly apologized for the comment. We chose to move forward.
4. Food tasting
• Sales associate sat across the table sat on his chair sideways with his legs crossed with one of his arms up the backrest of the chair in a very laid-back style, while arrogantly pointing and describing the food we were sampling.
• Sales associate behaved with utter disrespect in front of my client and me.
5. Beverage Service
• My client decides to remove the beverage and the valet parking service from the invoice; I emailed associate the request.
• I was in shock when I received his email reply, in which he states that it was weird we did not want any beverages at all, including water!! Is water included in the “beverage consumption for $1,920”?
• The following morning, he stated that he did not mean to be sarcastic on his email reply; rather what he had meant was that if “we might not reach the hotel minimum charge.”
• Associate apparently had no clue as to the value of the account as of that day!
6. Entree menu.
• My client requested to have 70% of the entrees be red meat and 30% fish to accommodate friends and family who might not eat red meat. I don’t believe this to be an unreasonable request.
• I forwarded the request to associate, who emphatically stated that "this is a luxury hotel and we don't do that" meaning your property does not have the capacity to accommodate serving red meat and fish for dinner on the same evening?
• Associate then offered the option of having the entrees as side orders for the guests to choose from with the added inconvenience of guests having to wait longer than normal to get served. (?)
• I asked how much longer the guests would have to wait to be served, if we went that route, associate stated "it would take 30 to 40 minutes longer..." because... “it is not a sandwich that you call pull out at any time from the kitchen..." A direct quote from associate.
• Is this the way a “Luxury” hotel staff member talks to and/or accommodates the requests made by a client? A roadblock at every single request!
• On the day of the event associate did not even acknowledge my presence at the venue! I guess he had had enough of my business.
7. On the room reservations
• In the process of reserving rooms for family members and friends of my client, I had talked to, Sale Manager, who apparently had forwarded an email to the Reservations Coordinator, to follow up with the reservations. Nobody ever did.
• Again I had to contact the hotel looking for assistance.
• I introduced myself to reservations coordinator and told her that I had been waiting for her call; she quickly interrupted me and affirmed that she had called me two days earlier.
• I asked whether she had left me a message, she stated that she couldn’t leave a message because my phone “did not give her the option to leave a message" Really?!
The SLS staff displayed a careless attitude towards clients.
Unquestionably the SLS hotel is a beautiful property; however, it is void of any substance. Judging by my personal experience at the SLS hotel, time and time again, its customer service rivals that of what one could expect from a third tier venue.
There a no words to describe how I feel about your property or to describe how your staff made me feel throughout the process of organizing this event.
BM Productions is an exclusive organization that focuses mostly on high-end, true luxury venues and events and I can assure you that your staff is inept and ill-prepared to handle luxury.

In conclusion, my experience at the SLS “Luxury” Hotel at Beverly Hills has been one that I will not forget in many months to come, unfortunately, it will be a very negative memory at best.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Ruben E
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. However, please allow me to express my most sincere apologies for the unfortunate experiences you encountered during your recent experience. Our goal is to provide the best guest service anywhere in the industry and I apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations.

I would love to speak with you personally about your visit and where we dropped the ball. Our conversation will help me give our team the training, support and direction it needs to exceed our guests' expectations moving forward. Please contact us directly at sls.pr@luxurycollection.com. Until then, Savor Life Slowly...
Beaconsfield, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are looking for a cool it-spot hotel in LA, look no further. It's not often a hotel room is a 'wow' moment for us but our suite at the SLS did. From the decor to the service to the amazing food via the award-winning restaurant attached, this place is a must see. The only downside would be the partying hotel guests who carry-on in the hallway at 3am. We would ask for a more remote room next time.

Room Tip: If you are early to bed, request a room away from the commotion if available. Also bring earplugs!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were actually enjoying our Los Angeles vacation at this centrally located hotel. All the staff had been friendly and helpful. Though the room was very dark, the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms spacious. The concierge graciously offered the use of the house car (a luxury BMW) to take us to a nearby restaurant. The sofas in the too-trendy lobby restaurant were a nice spot for a leisurely breakfast. We decided not to fret about the fact that there were no dressers in the room and instead relied on four luggage racks so we could live out of our suitcases for four days.

HOWEVER, it all changed when one morning, we found all our cash stolen from our wallets in the room. When we went to downstairs to report the theft, the concierge barely looked up from the computer screen to mutter "sorry that happened to you" and went right back to zombie-land. After a few questions from the security officer, who said he would launch an investigation, there was no further helpful communication from the hotel. Each time we called to find out what was to be done about this occurrence, there was a new "manager" who seemed to have no information about it and a new security person on duty who had no further information. At any other quality hotel, there would have been a call or note or gesture from management to reach out and formally express some kind of response about a crime that took place under their watch. In the case of the SLS Beverly Hills, there was nothing, not even a small offer of remediation or gesture of understanding that such an event might have tainted an otherwise fine experience. Maybe the offer of a few Starwood points, a complimentary meal, even a simple fruit basket for goodness sakes ... ANYTHING to acknowledge that someone cared about our relationship at all. We left with the feeling that, while their marketing material says it is "service-oriented," the SLS has only the veneer of hospitality without any understanding of what that truly means.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank JJKandL
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Valued SLS Hotel Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills and we are thrilled to learn you enjoyed the property as well as our friendly service! Thank you for bringing this concerning matter to our attention as your security experience is absolutely not reflective of the standard of luxury we strive to provide each of our guests.

We would like to further discuss the details of your stay, please contact us directly at sls.beverlyhills@luxurcollection.com and we will ensure a timely response to these items!
Gold Coast
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a Starwood Luxury Collection hotel but you wouldn't know it from the front nor for that matter while you are in the hotel. This has to be one of the quirkiest hotels that I have stayed at. It is certainly not a high rise like most SPG hotels tend to be. The lobby although spacious is very dark and in fact much of the hotel is very dark inside. I assume this is done on purpose and to compensate for the darkness there are mirrors almost every where. Some of the mirrors, especially those in the bed room/bathroom, can be quite disconcerting as you sometimes don't know which way the passage is. In the bedroom the furniture and bathroom fittings are ultra modern and of course wall to wall mirrors including the TV that has been deceptively put behind a mirror. All the expected luxury items are there but surprisingly there are no slippers to use in the room or the bath room. Breakfast food was fresh and for an America Hotel the coffee wasn't too bad. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is very conveniently located near a large shopping mall with "exorbitantly" expensive goods, as expected in Beverly Hills ( I did not visit Rodeo Drive hence cannot comment on the prices there). All in all a good hotel most suited for a special occasion to stay in a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Try and find a room overlooking the pool and on a higher floor. Rooms facing the main room can get...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Felt pampered from the moment we walked in the door. Front desk was friendly and helpful, room was super comfortable and spacious, and the bar at the Bazaar was great. Wasn't a huge fan of drinks at Tres but I think it just wasn't my style.
Window shades make the room super dark -- bonus for sleeping in. Convenient location for wandering (we did actually walk in LA). Valet service was nice and responsive. Didn't manage to eat the The Bazaar but the drinks were well-made and service was good.
Would definitely stay here again next trip to LA.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#45 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!