“Theft in the room”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #25 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were actually enjoying our Los Angeles vacation at this centrally located hotel. All the staff had been friendly and helpful. Though the room was very dark, the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms spacious. The concierge graciously offered the use of the house car (a luxury BMW) to take us to a nearby restaurant. The sofas in the too-trendy lobby restaurant were a nice spot for a leisurely breakfast. We decided not to fret about the fact that there were no dressers in the room and instead relied on four luggage racks so we could live out of our suitcases for four days.

HOWEVER, it all changed when one morning, we found all our cash stolen from our wallets in the room. When we went to downstairs to report the theft, the concierge barely looked up from the computer screen to mutter "sorry that happened to you" and went right back to zombie-land. After a few questions from the security officer, who said he would launch an investigation, there was no further helpful communication from the hotel. Each time we called to find out what was to be done about this occurrence, there was a new "manager" who seemed to have no information about it and a new security person on duty who had no further information. At any other quality hotel, there would have been a call or note or gesture from management to reach out and formally express some kind of response about a crime that took place under their watch. In the case of the SLS Beverly Hills, there was nothing, not even a small offer of remediation or gesture of understanding that such an event might have tainted an otherwise fine experience. Maybe the offer of a few Starwood points, a complimentary meal, even a simple fruit basket for goodness sakes ... ANYTHING to acknowledge that someone cared about our relationship at all. We left with the feeling that, while their marketing material says it is "service-oriented," the SLS has only the veneer of hospitality without any understanding of what that truly means.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JJKandL
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Valued SLS Hotel Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills and we are thrilled to learn you enjoyed the property as well as our friendly service! Thank you for bringing this concerning matter to our attention as your security experience is absolutely not reflective of the standard of luxury we strive to provide each of our guests.

We would like to further discuss the details of your stay, please contact us directly at sls.beverlyhills@luxurcollection.com and we will ensure a timely response to these items!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a Starwood Luxury Collection hotel but you wouldn't know it from the front nor for that matter while you are in the hotel. This has to be one of the quirkiest hotels that I have stayed at. It is certainly not a high rise like most SPG hotels tend to be. The lobby although spacious is very dark and in fact much of the hotel is very dark inside. I assume this is done on purpose and to compensate for the darkness there are mirrors almost every where. Some of the mirrors, especially those in the bed room/bathroom, can be quite disconcerting as you sometimes don't know which way the passage is. In the bedroom the furniture and bathroom fittings are ultra modern and of course wall to wall mirrors including the TV that has been deceptively put behind a mirror. All the expected luxury items are there but surprisingly there are no slippers to use in the room or the bath room. Breakfast food was fresh and for an America Hotel the coffee wasn't too bad. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is very conveniently located near a large shopping mall with "exorbitantly" expensive goods, as expected in Beverly Hills ( I did not visit Rodeo Drive hence cannot comment on the prices there). All in all a good hotel most suited for a special occasion to stay in a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Try and find a room overlooking the pool and on a higher floor. Rooms facing the main room can get...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Felt pampered from the moment we walked in the door. Front desk was friendly and helpful, room was super comfortable and spacious, and the bar at the Bazaar was great. Wasn't a huge fan of drinks at Tres but I think it just wasn't my style.
Window shades make the room super dark -- bonus for sleeping in. Convenient location for wandering (we did actually walk in LA). Valet service was nice and responsive. Didn't manage to eat the The Bazaar but the drinks were well-made and service was good.
Would definitely stay here again next trip to LA.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

wow! the room is enormus and the finishing is superb. fully equipped with gym and pool. wifi is 15usd a day (great signal). the restaurant was superb and i believe the 'bazaar' is one of the hot spots in LA. certainly well worth a visit the decor is wicked! the lobby restaurant is also great value.

close to beverly centre about 15-20 mins walk to rodeo drive or the grove.worth a return for sure

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank baxter82
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is definitely a hip hotel and very nice. The TV in the mirror blew my wife and I away! And the complimentary sparkling water (we told them we do not drink alcohol) was a nice touch.

Too bad we couldn't get into the restaurant that's close and could only sit at the bar. We ended up just walking to Chipotle and eating our anniversary dinner there!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm a (lifetime Gold) SPG Platinum member with over 400 nights in. I'm completely DISAPPOINTED with this property. The service I received falls very short of what I came to expect from any SPG property with over 4 stars, not alone a Luxury Collection location. I wish I stayed at the W hotel.

There are a few points that need major improvement:

1) Check In: It was a disaster. I arrived to the hotel at 1pm. I was told that my room would be ready 'shortly'. I had no problem waiting for a short time. The receptionist mentioned that I would be upgraded to a suite with a patio. I decided to wait. After 2 hours, my room was not ready. Past the guaranteed check-in time of 3pm, I asked the manager at least comp the drinks I consumed while waiting for the room. Instead of going out to the city I had wasted my day waiting in the lobby because every time I asked the front desk (and I did several times) the room was going to be ready shortly. While I was expecting an apology, I had to deal with the front office manager negotiating me on comping one drink, not more than that.

After waiting over 2 hours, I got placed to a smaller room with no patio. I called the front office manager to complain. SHE DID NOT RETURN MY CALL.

2) Midnight alarm: Got woken up in the middle of the night with alarm going off for about 5 minutes.

3) Room Service: I ordered breakfast in the morning for two. One of the omelettes was missing. Called in the Room Service, lady said she forgot. The bill was $75 for one omelette, OJ and coffee. At that level, you need to expect perfection. The toasts were black, not even edible.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gaby C
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Was in LA for 4 day trial that took 2 days - so i was here on both business and pleasure. From the moment i got here, the staff was pleasurable, friendly, patient and cordial. They remembered my name the whole 4 days i was here, and everything about me. Rahi Sheth at the front desk made sure i was taken care of and made me feel like the biggest VIP - though many celebs and oligarchs walk the halls of this posh, modern, luxurious hotel. Centrally located a block from the Beverly Center that is open till 9pm and shares a space with an extremely trendy bar (Bazaar) downstairs. I ventured to other Beverly Hill hotspots as i thought the grass was greener. It was not. My trip to downtown on trial was easy going and the hotel made sure i had everything in my room to accommodate my business. The rooms are modern, shiek with large working spaces and plenty of outlets. So many hotels never have outlets. It's sort of an unusual place as there is always something going on but you dont feel like you're walking through Times Square. And for local shopping they hooked me up with a car (shout out to Dan the driver) who knew everything about the town. Also the gym and spa are indeed clean, fully equipped and modern. Finally, the in-house toiletries are top of the line - and the sheets and bedding provided for comfortable rest. I am still here at SLS on my last day. There is something big going on by the pool but it is still open to the guests. This place rocks. I was so happy with my stay, i did not even wait to get home to write this review. The only downside is, i hope not to have a hard time getting a res when i come again. Which will be very soon....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!