“You can do MUCH better than this in LA”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #24 of 357 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Where to start on such a poor visit.
Room problems! I remember the odd layout of the room as I had stayed here previously. The desk in the room is useless as it is so close to the wall that you can barely pull the chair out to sit in it. So maybe I could work elsewhere in the room...nope! This hotel has the WORST internet service of any hotel i have EVER stayed in. I even plugged in and it was still really bad! Great News...you get to pay to use this almost useless service. The mirrors and flat, shiny surfaces are everywhere. The glare back from the TV behind the glass wall makes for poor viewing. So now you can't work at the desk, surf the Internet and you can't watch TV.
Bathroom problems! The sink in the bathroom is different, and large! The design is very poor as it is so large that if you want to shave you are so far away from the mirrored WALL that you try to do a decent job without cutting yourself! The shower can not be turned on without wetting yourself at the spray is pointed directly at the door and the head barely moves, so expect a cold blast of water each morning. If you use your toiletries you might have to ask for more as I did because my maid seemed to be measuring the use of them. Hey, the towels though are great. Big and fluffy...one one needed to dry off!
Service problems! After 3 nights and a long day my key was de-activated when I got back to my room...ok...it happens....back downstairs. Was my luck that there was a very long line of about 10 people and 3 working the desk. It took quite a while. Just as I was next and was asked to wait a moment by the check in person, someone came off the elevator and walked right in front of me to the person who had asked me to wait. To my COMPLETE and utter amazement this person was helped by the person at the desk without any regard for all of us who had been waiting in line. Others being helped at the desk saw what happened and were also amazed but the desk person along with a supervisor who had come over continued to help this person who had jumped right in front of me. I did not recognize this person as anyone special but I don't care if it was the President...you wait your turn and you expect the person at the desk to back you up....evidently not here! When I finally got up to the desk and was asked if I was checking in I asked if they wanted to help anyone else first as I must not be as important as some of their other guests! They assured me I was as important but actions speak louder than words. When I told him what was going on with my card he said he was aware and it was happening to all of my party (about 10-12 of us staying here) as they had coded all of the reservations incorrectly! If they knew why were we not notified before it happened or as soon as they were aware?
I know this hotel considered a themselves "cool" and "different", but for me I would rather stay at any other, less "cool" hotel and get treated like a real guest. I will NEVER spend another night with this company, much less at $400 a night!!

Room Tip: For the best room Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank dleslievol
SLSBHManager, Public Relations Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. However, please allow me to express my most sincere apologies for the unfortunate experiences you encountered during your recent stay. Please contact me directly at sls.pr@luxurycollection.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,943)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the SLS Beverly Hills hotel in January 2013.

The property is located on a busy street and does not offer a view but rather a convenient location. The lobby, rooms and pool are beautiful. Someone else commented that the decor is similar to what you would find at the W. Our experience with the valet was great. They were quick to help us upon both arrival and departure. They were also very friendly.

Our experience at the front desk is where we ran into trouble. We had reserved the Balcony Suite which features a walk out balcony and supposedly a view of the Hollywood sign. But whether it does or does not, we will never know. When attempting to check in, we were informed that there are only 3 balcony suites on the entire property. We were told that if we wanted to keep our reserved room, we would not be able to check in until after 6PM (9PM Eastern time) After having just travelled from Florida and considering we were only staying one night, we did not feel that it would be worth it to hold out for our reserved room type. We were offered another suite. It was ok, but instead of a balcony, we got a view of the air conditioner for the hotel.

While the person at the front desk seemed very nice, I could not shake my suspicion that I was the victim of a bait and switch. Bait me to reserve with one room type, but coerce me into taking another one.

It was an interesting adventure, but next time in LA we will just go back to the W instead.

Room Tip: Don't bother reserving the balcony suite, because chances are slim to none you will actually get...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denise S
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great design by Starck. I loved the dim light everywhere and those dark mirrors. This is a hotel that turns you on.

Service was excellent. Not only the concierge and ladies at the reception but even the doormen. One actually brought me a bottle of water while I was waiting for a cab because he thought I might need it.

The Ciel Spa was great as well. I wasn't an easy customer, because I had a few meetings downtown and kept moving my appointment.

One thing that must be mentioned is the gym which is open 24/7. For me that was quite important as I tend to wake up really early.

Breakfast was delicious. Definitely worth the price. I loved the guy who served tables.

Thanks to chic, warm and friendly personnel of SLS!

Room Tip: You can't smoke anywhere in the hotel except for open air patio on the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I would like to thank you for the great positive comments you provided in the guest satisfaction survey regarding your recent stay at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had an unplanned trip to LA and decided to give SLS a try. It is one of these 5 stars properties in town that I need to test out and see if it is going to be my go to hotel.

I booked a studio king suite in SLS and upon arrival check in was great and fast and was placed in a second floor suite. You do not expect much of a view on La Cienega so that was not a concern at all. The room is just different! I say that because it is a Philip Starck work that I have seen and tried many times around the world. Very brave colors and unexpected placements of items. I liked it but I have seen better of his work.

Bed was very comfortable but lacks close by power outlets, toilet was nice but lacking the right amount of lighting and a tub. Have to pay a complement for the high standard cosmetic products that is rare to find in a hotel room.

Room service was excellent and the culinary work was outstanding. Great selection of coffee, wine and pastries.

The only downside to the SLS is its hectic lobby and driveway. That includes without saying the EXTREMELY ARROGANT AND RUDE valet parking staff. I understand if it takes forever for your car because they are busy, but please lose the attitude. The driver brought the car and I waived to him, he saw me and kept driving. They talk with a bad tone as if you owe them something !!

For a relaxing trip without needing the car and my tech stuff then SLS will be a maybe. But for business, family fun or guys reunion SLS is a no way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank naifitto
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Philip Stark chic designed hotel. Very luxurious and sexy rooms with up to the minute modern decor. Trendy restaurant and public spaces. A little dark in the room but for romance none better. Great central location. Love this place. Like a W but way better.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've been following Sebastian for the past 20 years. He has taken 16 years off my face. Visited the SLS for the 1st time and it was FANTASTIC! The Ciel Spa was AMAZING! I've travelled the world and have stayed in some of the best Hotels booked by my AMEX Centurion concierge and before my flight back to London, England I had time to see Sebastian this past month. He is a true Artist for the face. A total professional and truly on top of his game! He knew exactly what my face needed and took action. 3 weeks later, my face still looks great. The Hotel was very impressive. Used to the Starck style in London so happy to see it in LA. Tastefully done at SLS Beverly Hills.

Room Tip: Book Sabastian in advance and treat yourself to a day at the Ciel Spa.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Normandy B
SLSBHManager, Public Relations Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments; we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent visit to the property! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Most interesting place I have ever stayed at. Rooms are museum quality in the furnishings etc.
Avant garde. Futuristic. Great public places. Night club/Bar adjacent to the lobby is an attraction for itself.

Beware that some of the soaps and shampoos in the bathroom is from the spa and carry a fee if used.

Room Tip: No all rooms are the same. Spend some time at the front desk. Be choosy!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

What a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Downtown
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
#17 of 357 in Los Angeles

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!