“Take themselves waaayyy too seriously”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Lafayette, CA
“Take themselves waaayyy too seriously”
Reviewed April 6, 2011

This hotel is best suited for uber-hipsters and/or people with noooooo regard for $50 breakfasts and mediocre pool-side salads for $45. The hotel's decor is quite brilliant, very unique and unique (did I already mention that?). But I felt the beauty was only skin-deep. A very puckered and strained front desk, who made you feel like they were doing you a favor to check you in. And if you have kids? You were sorta invisible. That set the pace for the entire visit. Rooms are modern and beautiful. Front desk notwithstanding, service was excellent at the lobby bar, as was breakfast service. But be forewarned, the prices for a cocktail and eggs over-easy are not for the faint of heart. In my opinion, you stay here to enjoy the outward beauty (although not for everyone) and the incredible interpretation of modern design. But beyond that, your date with the pretty girl gets boring (and expensive) quickly.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank trippin7
aarongonzales209, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Your feedback is greatly appreciated as it will only further enable us to achieve the standard of luxury we strive for here at SLS. Thank you again, and we hope aside from some of the categories you feel we fell short on, that you will return to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed here for work. Hotel was very chic, service was excellent, exercise room was very good, and the breakfast was tasty if a bit expensive. The restaurant adjoining the hotel was jumping, even on a Monday evening. The wall to wall mirrors, even in the bathroom, was a bit over the top, but then again it is LA! Would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
SLSPR, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
We are so happy to hear your wonderful experience. We are so lucky to have Jose Andres as the Culinary Director for the entire hotel he is a master in the Culinary world! Whether business or pleasure, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Class A service in the heart of Beverly Hills. I only wished I had stayed longer. The room was spic and span. I love the elevators. Avery at the lobby bar was very friendly, but not in a chatty way. I definitely recommend this hotel, if you want to live the life.

• Stayed March 2011
We are so happy you enjoyed your time here at SLS! We look forward to seeing you soon. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Loved every second of my experience! From the warm welcome from the valet, to my comp champagne being delivered to my room cause of the special guest they knew I had! Every need was more than met! My sleep was amazing also, couldn't believe i was in the middle of the city. Couldn't hear not one car! VERY satisfied. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SLSPR, Public Relations Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments – we look forward to having you back again soon!
Phoenix
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the SLS this weekend for a nice long weekend in LA. I was looking forward to the edgy style and a little bit of uber luxury after staying in standard W and JW properties every week for my job. Unfortunately, this hotel was a huge disappointment.

For a luxury hotel, the service was terrible. When we arrived, we dropped our car off with the valet. No one offered to take our bags and there wasn’t anyone who pointed us in the right direction when we started walking away from the entrance to the hotel. Throughout our stay, no one asked us how our was stay was going or even greeted us as we walked through the lobby every day. When we did have to interact with the front desk staff to call security to check on a lost item, they just dialed a phone and said, “you can speak with them directly.” In short, the staff was very aloof and provided service I would expect at a motel 6, not a luxury Beverly Hills hotel.

When it came to the décor, it was more tacky than cool. The room had mirrors on every wall and the bathroom had mirrors on every surface. The chairs were hard and uncomfortable and the bed was not what I would call luxurious. I understand that they were going for edgy style, but that doesn’t mean I am willing to give up comfort.

If you are looking to get your fill of tacky décor, I would recommend just hitting up the restaurant. Otherwise, avoid this hotel with its uncomfortable rooms and terrible service.

5 Thank tlj85
SLSPR, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
My apologies for your unfortunate experience during your recent visit to SLS Hotel. Our Philippe Starck design is most certainly avant garde, but I’m sorry to learn that it provided you with such discomfort. I want to thank you for providing your feedback, as this will continue to help us achieve the standard of luxury that we strive for. I do hope you will have the opportunity to visiting the hotel again, and we know you will see how special SLS truly is.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Stayed at this hotel 2 nights .
Very accomodating when I checked in they let me get my room early or I had the option to wait for a room w/ a terrace. I chose the 1st option amd it was fine.
The decor is really cool . The elevators are cool. A very interesting Hotel tobe in.
I thought the room was a bit tooo dark for my taste but that goes w/ the decor style.
Very comfortable bed and I slept well.
Free Coffe in the lobby in the AM...I loved that!
Location is not in the heart of Beverly Hills but that didnt bother me since I rented a car.
The gym was very nice and had good equipment.
The rooftop pool is nice but the food there was nothing delicious...just alright.
Service is pretty Ok and the staff is out to please
I thought its nerve to charge 30.00 for daily parking especially when my daily renttal car costs less but I guess thats the rate they can get away with
I would most definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
SLSPR, Public Relations Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind reply, we are so pleased your enjoyed your visit to SLS! Philippe Starck is truly a talent that we are so fortunate to have as one of the brands collaborators. I appreciate your feedback on the lighting, and am happy to inform you that we are implementing a new lighting plan for the guestrooms that we hope to have completed this year! It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our fitness facility, and I want to also inform you that we have 2 of LA’s most sought after personal trainers at the hotel, and you can arrange training sessions during your stay. We also offer complimentary bootcamps to in-house guests on Fridays and Saturdays from these trainers. Please accept my apologies for the inadequate experience with our Altitude Pool food choices as well as our parking fees. I do hope the overall stay was enjoyable, and we hope to see you again soon! Please let us know the next time you are visiting, and let us know how we can best assist you in planning your stay!
Anaheim, California
Reviewed March 14, 2011

This is a great hotel and the service was remarkable! We started off our night by going to Tres, which is a restaurant on the lobby floor, and the drinks were amazing. Then we went to dinner at the Bazaar which is an amazing experience. Overall, the service was amazing, the rooms were very trendy and clean, and it was the best date I've ever been on.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
aarongonzales209, Guest Relations Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Thank you so much for celebrating such a wonderful occasion with us. I am very happy you were able to experience Tres and Bazaar. While both restaraunts are directed by famed chef, Jose Andres; each offers a unique dining experience and menu. We look forward to dazzeling and delighting you again in the future:)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#46 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!