“What's the Opposite of Great?”

Residence Inn Beverly Hills
Ranked #36 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at Marriott's Residence Inn at 1177 South Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills, CA from June 13-July 5, 2013. It was an easy choice as I have been a loyal Marriott customer for years. I've stayed in Marriott's in Boston, Chicago, New York, Newport News, VA, Miami, Greensboro, NC, Maui, and Richmond, VA. Own a Marriott's Vacation Club Villa. I'm a Marriott guy, so staying at one in Beverly Hills was a no-brainer. After a cross-country flight, this experience was a major disappointment.

Our two bedroom suite was too small for a family of four. The rooms were barely able to contain the rock hard full-size beds. Pillows? Felt like someone stuffed a few hundred cotton balls into bag and said "yeah, that looks like a pillow." Not good.

The closets were insufficient with each having only 30" of hang space. Small closets usually don't matter because I'll only be in a place for a few days, a week tops. But a multi-week stay requires much more. This is made worse by there being no reasonable place to put my five large suitcases that accompanied us for our three-week stay. It the closets weren't large enough for clothes, then what's likelihood they could accommodate luggage?

The bathroom counters were incredibly tight, making it very difficult to put even basic items in a convenient place. Could hear the toilet water from the room(s) above me as it made its way down the drain.

The dimly lit hallways were accentuated by seizure-inducing casino style carpeting. The lighting and carpeting, however, were no match for dank air revealing a desperately needed airing out of the hallways. They allow pets which, I guess, wasn't a terrible surprise. It was a bummer, though, to have my small kids face-to-face with a pit bull as we boarded an elevator.

While they purport to be a smoke-free hotel, one of our neighbors was regularly smoking in their room. I only know because the smoke made its way into our room, aggravating my son's allergies. We ended up moving into a "pure room" at an additional cost of $20 per day. While this room was a significant upgrade over what we had to deal with for the first six nights of our trip, the added cost to get the benefit never sat well with me.

The view from all the windows was of the other wing of the building, less than 50 feet away. Dirty tan stucco for as far as the eye could see! I had to contort my body into nearly unnatural positions to see daylight.

Kitchen was unremarkable. I think the cabinets were real wood. I could be mistaken. The microwave worked well.

Not nearly enough power outlets for a 21st century family.

Air conditioning unit worked well. However, it was very loud.

I don't know if this was a new build or a retrofit. Either way, they went greedy and crammed two-bedrooms in the space for one. Imagine how that might work with twin five-year-olds. Literally no space to do anything other than sleep. The building is not well set up for extended stay customers. No pool. No play space. No reason for families with small children to stay there.

They did have a complimentary breakfast. I'd give it a grade of "C" but only because it was free. The omelet ingredients were the opposite of fresh and tasty. The Canadian bacon was soggy and appeared to have had only minimal contact with a warm skillet.

My advice? Find an alternative. I doubt it'll be worse. While this place is well priced for the market, spending a little extra to get more would be worth it.

Before closing, I want to acknowledge that the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. They accommodated whatever needs we had. The valet and front desk were especially good.

3  Thank Michael F
InterstateHotels, Manager at Residence Inn Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Michael F, thank you for your time in providing such great detail about your stay with us, and for mentioning the great service you received from our staff. A friendly smile and a helping hand go a long way, even if you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. On that note, please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations. Our two-bedroom suites are highly sought after since they are much more competitively priced than similar suites at other hotels in the area, and are frequently occupied for extended periods of time. Should your travels bring you back to Los Angeles, we hope you'll give us another chance to earn your business.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

First room, next to elevator bank, supposedly sound proof, sounded like construction; second room, supposed to have king bed, didn't, and smelled horrible; only after third room was it acceptable. People live in this hotel, too, it seems. Don't stay here for business.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TOnyB123_12
InterstateHotels, Manager at Residence Inn Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your time in posting your comments, and we're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We will review our procedures with the front desk to make sure that room assignments are correct the first time around, to avoid having to switch. Since we are an extended stay hotel, we do have guests that stay with us for long periods of time. We hope you'll consider staying with us again, as we are a great hotel option for business in the Beverly Hills and Century City sections of Los Angeles.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Great value and good location. Staff were friendly and helpful. The complementary breakfast was awesome! Full breakfast, even had an omelette bar! The location was great be aide it was so close to tourist attractions and conveniently located. As tourists we had no issue to getting lost. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at this hotel in June 2013. The hotel is located on the edge of Beverly Hills in a nice area.

We arrived at the hotel at 9 p.m. and were given a large, handicapped room. The clerk explained that this room is a bit larger than the standard rooms and was at the end of the hall. (We had requested a quiet room.)

The staff of the hotel was extremely helpful and courteous. My compliments to all of them.

The hotel is located near several very good restaurants within easy walking distance. We did not attempt to walk to Rodeo Drive although it does appear that it would be a 20 to 30 minute walk.

The hotel is a good value for its location since breakfast is included in the price. Speaking of breakfast, the one that is included is standard Residence Inn fare, except for a good omelet bar where they will prepare fresh omelets for you.

Room Tip: At the time of our reservation, we requested a quiet room. This was honored and we did not hear any...
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We just returned from a 15 day stay at the Residence Inn Beverly Hills. Our youngest son had reconstructive ear surgery in Beverly Hills, so we had to find a place that could accommodate a family of six for a long time. The location was excellent and although a little pricey compared to other Residence Inns, the value was very good for the area.
The rooms were average, but had the kitchenette and was right across the street from Ralph's grocery store, which is awesome, and CVS, as well as Factors Famous Deli. The heart of Beverly Hills was about a mile away and easy access to Westwood (UCLA area) and to head down to Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey and Venice, Easy to access Freeways as well.
The complimentary breakfast was very good, with good variety, fresh food, juice and coffee and a fresh "made to order" omelet station during the week was a nice surprise. All these were nice, but above all THE SERVICE WAS OUTSTANDING! We had to make some changes to our accommodation when we arrived and Kenan, the manager, went out of his way to accommodate us. In addition he was just a great guy, always smiling and joking around with us and my kids. All hotels should have people like him. In addition to Kenan, the whole staff was just great!! From housekeeping, to valet parking to the bellmen and front desk, the service was as good as any five star hotel, of which I've stayed at many. It's a Residence Inn, so it's not going to be a Ritz or Four Seasons per se, but if your trip requires you needing to be at a Residence Inn type place, I couldn't give a hotel a higher recommendation!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Owen W
InterstateHotels, Manager at Residence Inn Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your time in posting your comments, and we're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! As you mentioned, we are an ideal place for extended stays in the Beverly Hills/Los Angeles area, and our central location puts us just a short drive from most attractions. We truly appreciate you mentioning our staff, especially Kenan. We strive daily to provide excellent customer service, and are thrilled to hear that it shines through. We hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Beverly Hills!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. Great people, decor, location to area attractions. Valet was very prompt. Very good breakfast with cooked to order omelets. Surprisingly quiet rooms even though on a busy street. Have not slept better in months.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SoCaRob
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very convenient to the heart of Beverly Hills. The breakfast area is like a rugby scrum. The food is ok except for the very good omelette station. Having a Hertz counter on site is a big help since we didn't have to deal wtih a car return to LAX. Great front desk staff. Had to request hand towels and wash clothes. I'm not sure why the cleaning staff didn't notice. Gym is clean but very small. I've been here 3-4 times and stay here for the location. Not great value for $300/ night but its Beverly Hills

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
#111 of 353 in Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#61 of 353 in Los Angeles

Been to Residence Inn Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!