“bed bugs! and didn't clean the room”

Radisson Hotel Chatsworth
Ranked #61 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The first morning we stayed (10/8/11) I work up with a few itchy bites. That night we came back around 9pm to sleep, the room/bathroom hadn't been cleaned. Not even fresh cups. There was loud club music below us from a party at the restaurant in the hotel. We were never informed or warned. The neighbors were yelling, partying and going in and out of the room, slamming the door every couple minutes. We tried to ignore all of this until the marijuana smoke started to fill our room. I finally called down to the front at midnight and they dismissed me and said they'd give them a quick call. This all continued until around 2:30am. The whole night I kept waking up itching. We got up around 7:30am to leave and I was covered in itchy bed bug bites. We went to the front desk to check out and explained out issues. They informed us the manager wasn't there but would get in in 30 minutes (9am) and call us immediately, and they wouldn't charge us until he talked to us. At 2:13pm we checked our card and noticed we had be charged the full amount with still no call from the manager. I called the hotel and they informed us the manager was busy and would try to get back to me by Monday. When I said this was unacceptable, they sent me to voicemail. He finally called me back around 5pm and refused to refund our money and told me it was impossible to have bed bug bites. I've had to see a doctor and dermatologist to help with the 50+ bug bites that keep me up all hours. And still no apology, just left with gross bumps everywhere.

Room Tip: get one above the 2nd floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank meganmh2002
RadArtChatsworth, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Chatsworth, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to share the concerns and experience regarding your stay with us, Radisson Hotel Chatsworth is under a new management team and On behalf of our entire staff here we apologize that we did not provide you with the clean comfortable room, you have every right to expect when you stay at Radisson Hotel Chatsworth. I can understand your disappointment and dismay. We appreciate the feedback and as a result of the experience you described we have made several changes to the way in which our guest rooms are cleaned and inspected before being assigned to guests. Please accept our apology and as a token of appreciation we invoked our 100% satisfaction for your stay, exciting news to share, we launched a very ambitious (4 Mil. Dollars) plan to start remodeling our hotel, which will be completed by the end of August 2012.
On behalf of entire staff here at Radisson Hotel Chatsworth, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Arthur Boshnakian
General Manager Radisson Hotel Chatsworth

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We upgraded to a "suite" for an extra 35 bucks! Can't beat that! Overall, we liked this place. The "suite" was HUGE, although the layout was sort of strange. The room must have been 2 regular rooms before they knocked down a wall to create large, single room. The lighting was "different". On the ceiling, they had what looked like classroom lights throughout. With the room being so large, the tv was SUPER difficult to see from the bed. The beds were SO far away! But the couches were nice!

As this was the only room we stayed in, I have no idea how the other rooms looked. Free wifi worked great. Staff was very nice. Everything was clean. VERY easy to pull your car up to the front, grab a cart, and take your bags to the room. Although, they need to change the room number directional signs. VERY confusing. There are no arrows pointing you left or right, just a series of squiggly lines. I went left when I should have gone right. Sound strange? It is. Also, pretty annoying when people sit right in front of the lobby and smoke. ATTENTION SMOKERS: Smoke is not only bad for you, it STINKS. I do not care if you want to smoke 200 cigs. a day, just don't do it right in front of hotel lobby's or small children. Show some respect. Of course, this is not something that is only a problem at this hotel. Maybe they can have a NO SMOKING sign by the lobby entrance so people with small children can walk into the hotel, and out, without sucking in all that nasty smoke.

One thing I noticed... The place seemed pretty empty. I actually LIKE that. But I sort of felt bad for the place as they really were not busy. We bought some wine nearby and my wife went to the front desk to ask for an opener. Here is what makes me really like this place. The front desk woman, walked over to the bar and opened our bottle of wine for us. She told my wife, "you can not drink wine out of the plastic cups in the room!" and handed my wife two wine glasses from behind the bar. She did NOT have to do that, and that one little gesture shows me that people at this hotel actually CARE about the guests. Was it a one time occurrence? Doubt it. Oh, there is PLENTY of free parking too. In the morning, they have coffee and some breakfast bars by the lobby doors and those smokers. Whoever made the coffee that morning? YUCK! I mean, it was SO bad. SO bitter. We did not stay at this place for the coffee. so no biggie.

Room Tip: Just ask them.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Baronent
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Same framework of the previous Radisson, sleep number beds, Hot Tomato Restaurant, same amenities...but I can feel the level of maintenance slipping. We have always stayed at this hotel when visiting our daughter at CSUN, it is the only nice place at a reasonable distance from her apartment.
We will stay once more to give it a fair shot, at that point we will reevaluate.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had a clean room with a very nice bathroom. I'm not a huge fan of the sleep number beds but the linens were very nice. The staff was polite, and the public areas clean. I really enjoyed the pool area which also was very well kept. There are tons of places to walk to from the hotel of all sorts, but a few close on Sundays. I'll be back when in Chatsworth. Others in my party were not as happy with their rooms but some people are hotel snobs I guess. For the price is was great.

Room Tip: There are two courtyards. If you sleep during the day or early/late request the one without the poo...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stay here very frequently on business and have always been treated extremely well. Whether I walk to the front desk or into the bar or restaurant, I am always greeted with a smile and hello. Susan who works in the bar/restaurant is always looking out for me. She makes sure my meals are prepared just to my liking. The fresh fish dinners are as good as you can get in this area. The steak filets are also very good. Gustavo (chef) comes out of the kitchen and asks how your meal was. How many places will do this?
Krystianna who works at the front desk is always warm and friendly. She makes me feel right at home.

Some of the furnishing in the rooms like the TV's are not the most modern, but the rooms are quite comfortable. They are also kept very clean by the housekeeping staff. You can also get a fridge and microwave upon request.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the side of the hotel facing Topanga Canyon Hwy. It is a very busy street and...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank stingman66
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I have stayed once or twice a year for a few years while out in LA, and it was always fairly nice. However, it is not being well-maintained. The wear is really showing. OK, not a big deal. It is a good location for those needing to stay in the west valley.

But it is the little things that tick you off and sometimes make you say "OK, I'm done... Next time I'll be somewhere else". It wasn't the rooms. Yeah, they are worn a bot, but it wasn't a big deal. For me, it is the coffee situation. Trivial, maybe, but here it is...

Nowadays hotels in this class like the Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, etc. all have a simple buffet included in the price. I'm not a breakfast fan, but I want my coffee. Those little in-room pots make dirty water, and I want a decent cup. The thing is, that until 6AM, they do have free coffee in the Lobby. That is fantastic, but when their restaurant opens for breakfast, it vanishes. So I went downstairs for coffee, and it was gone.

I was told no problem, I could go get it in the restaurant. But I learned that it was going to cost me $10. I didn't want breakfast... just a refill of my coffee. No matter, $10. When I balked at this (nicely), the many at the desk pointed me to a Starbucks down the street. REALLY?

So first off, the coffee situation just isn't in sync with the standard of service of a hotel in this category, but the service... That was just a new low, especially on something as trvial as a cup of coffee that was free 20 minutes earlier.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkovnick
Reviewed August 1, 2010

A combination of mold festering on the AC vents, along with lousy guest services, will make your stay at the Radisson an adventure in respiratory issues and personal frustration.

After my first night, I realized the AC vent in the room was covered with black mold. Lovely. So I kindly informed the front desk of the issue. They offered to move me to another room, which I accepted (I would have been fine if they simply offered to replace the replace the vent). I packed my stuff and moved to the new room, only to find the AC vent had EVEN MORE mold than the previous room!

I had to leave, so I took my luggage to the car and threatened to find another hotel if they didn't resolve the issue when I came back. When I came back, they moved me to a mini-suite with a balcony view. No mold on the AC vent, but plenty of stains in other places that give one pause.

There aren't enough Sleep Number beds in the world to make up for a lack of cleanliness and no attention to detail. I'm not asking for the Ritz-Carlton, I just want a clean room. Hey, if a Best Western can do it, why can't a Radisson!

This hotel used to be great value for the price, but now it's simply a dump. Avoid this hotel until it changes management.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business