“Great for getting ready for wedding but bad service”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #103 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Great for getting ready for wedding but bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We wanted to book the Sheraton as our wedding getting ready location because of its proximity to our venue and because of the awesome lobby which made for great photos. From the outset though, even getting an appointment to tour the hotel suites was an arduous experience. We bounced back and forth between managers for nearly 3 weeks and didn't get an "appointment" until we physically visited it to get the bottom of it. We of course considered going somewhere else but it truly had some really nice locations for photos so we stuck with it. When we visited, the front desk guy was in a sweat because he too couldn't reach any of those managers. He felt bad for us and gave us a room to look at which I assume he wasn't supposed to do but he did it anyway given what we had gone through and because we've been standing at the front desk with him for so long. We were satisfied with the executive suite and wanted to book it but this whole experience got my now husband so fed up that he got in touch with those managers' manager and she was of better assistance and helped us with the rate.
The wedding morning went fine and the suite was perfect as a getting ready location. It also came with complimentary breakfast as well which was so helpful. However, three separate times our key stopped working and I was called down to verify my identification. I did NOT need this on my wedding day. We were so angry! They said it was for security purposes but really, three times? Plus, why is there always only one or two people at the front desk? There's so many times I've passed that desk and there's a long line of people.
Before we left after photos were done, one of the groomsmen needed to go back in the room to get his phone charger. The security guard literally shouted at him to back off. He calmly asked her to not shout at him but she continued to do so and wouldn't let him retrieve his charger. We drove out to his house the next day and returned the charger to him.
In the end, it was worth it for the pictures. We got a sneak peek photo and it was truly gorgeous. Otherwise I'm definitely not coming back to use it as a hotel.

Room Tip: Get permission before taking photos for something like a wedding. If you don't have prior permis...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest , it certainly sounds like a medley of unfortunate events that should not have happened. We pride ourselves on attentive, excellent service , especially for such a grand event like a wedding. We apologize for the lapse in service and the issues with your keys. We do take extra measures with security when it comes to the keys and access to the guest room , however I am very sorry that you needed to deal with extra issues on an already hectic and exciting day. Please trust that your comments are noted and shared with the managers involved. We appreciate you and the time you took to give us the feedback. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Rooms are very nice great view. Love the decor Had friends from out of town visiting. Front desk team was very helpful . I believe it was the front desk manager that was helping us he knew the area very well had great recommendations for us for the weekend. will return

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest , we are glad that you had a blast at the hotel and visiting with friends which makes for fantastic memory’s! I agree that the Sheraton Team is truly caring and they help make you feel comfortable and in control. It’s excellent to have all the best places to visit and restaurants to dine in at your fingertips! We do hope your travels bring you back again very soon! Many thanks for your time and the great review!
Los Angeles, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Here are my reasons:
When I made the reservation online I requested 2 Queen Beds, when I received the confirmation it read: 2 Double Beds. Immediately I sent an email to customer service to correct the error in order to ensure that we would receive 2 Queen Beds upon arrival. I was told that we would be taken care of.
However, when we checked in to the room and carried all of our luggage up to the room and entered, we found 2 Double Beds. I called the front desk was transferred to 3 different people and explained my situation to all of them. After all that, Christina, the front desk manager finally moved us to a room with 2 Queen Beds. But we were not given the amount of keys that we initially asked for at check-in and so we had to make an extra trip to the front desk to pick up keys.

Also, after I made the reservation I emailed to inquire about early check-in and the pool temperature. We only stayed for one night and were looking forward to a nice swim. I was informed by customer service via email that the pool would be closed for renovations. We were extremely disappointed because Southern Cal weather has been unusually warm for mid October and we really wanted to swim. We always stay at a hotel and go to a theme park every year for my son's mid October birthday and it has never been this warm, so we were really looking forward to a swim.
I expressed my disappointment to customer service. What's disturbing to me is that upon check-in we were informed that we could have used the Hilton pool. Everyone was very disappointed because had we known that beforehand, we would have checked in early and brought our swim suits--none of which we did--so we missed out on enjoying our swim. I would have greatly appreciated being notified of the Hilton pool option, especially because I specifically inquired about that and expressed disappointment and it was a special occasion stay for us.

When I spoke to the front desk manager and I told her these issues and she just asked me to send her the email and that was it. She did not offer any resolution or follow up with me in any way.

Lastly, when I checked out and was asked, "How was everything?" by the clerk, I responded hesitantly that it was "ok." I don't think the clerk liked my response because she gave me a look and then she did not say "thank you" to me when I left. This further left an unsavory impression on me.

As a woman whose family owned and operated a restaurant for 20 years, where I worked for many years myself, I know very intimately the true value of customer service. This is something I strongly uphold.
For these reasons, we will not be staying here again and my review will not be favorable.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Geronimo F
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest , thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I am very sorry about the inconvenience you mentioned in your comments . Clearly a basic function in any hotel is to facilitate a restful and convenient condition, with excellent service . I do apologize for your unacceptable experience and please note that your comments are shared with the managers involved . I am disappointed that I did not get a chance to speak with you in person before you left. I would have liked the opportunity to find options that could assist in making you more comfortable. We would very much appreciate if you gave us another opportunity to regain your confidence. We are indeed at the beginning of beautifying our deck and pool area. It will be just stunning and so much fun once it is complete. If you like, please keep me as your contact if you ever wish to return. It would be my absolute pleasure to assist with any future reservations.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

CALGARY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Older property that has seen a wide range of stars and traffic over the years. Parts are currently being renovated and other should likely be renovated. Very good location if you want to be near Universal City.

Room Tip: A high floor room gets the views but they also have rooms with balconies surrounding the pool which...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest, we like to say we are growing “young” ! With all our new additions it will just enhance what we already have in place for our very valued guests, such as yourself. We thank you for your time and hope that you will visit us again when our beautification process is complete!
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for four nights whilst visiting my sister who lives not far from here. Check in was smooth: as a higher floor room wasn't available, we were moved to a lanai room overlooking the pool. Initially we were concerned that there may be some noise from the pool or the interconnecting door to the next room, but this was very minimal. Room was well appointed with a sofa and grandfather chair in addition to the bed. It was nice to have the balcony too even if the room only overlooked the pool and other rooms.

Breakfast was over-priced as it is in all of these sorts of hotels and the spread not as good as one would expect for the money being asked for it. It is possible to have a continental buffet ($14.50) breakfast for a smaller price than the full buffet but this isn't advertised on their menu. Service was friendly but variable and on one morning we had to ask three times for our toast before it arrived. The muffins, however, were delicious!

Reception staff were always very helpful and issues dealt with swiftly (eg a light bulb that needed replacing / our request to check out late). Parking is convenient in a garage right by the hotel and (unlike some places) you don't have to valet park. There is a charge for wifi but we were given this as complimentary - not too sure why but we weren't complaining!

The location is obviously good for Universal Studios but also for Studio City, with a variety of shops and restaurants. Mulholland Drive with it's stunning views over the city is also a stone's throw away. Just beware the LA traffic - everything takes three times as long as it should!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience with us. Be assured that your comments about the breakfast layout and lack of service on that one specific morning have been shared with the departments involved. We hope your experience was not diminished by that issue and we are glad that you found the arrival staff nice and the room comfortable for your needs. We do hope that we have the opportunity to be of service again soon. Thank you so much for your time.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Super convenient for Universal Studio's - complimentary bus to & from the hotel to venue made this so easy & relaxing. Mall outside of Universal was perfect for buying a quick or nicer dinner off property. Pool was a little small but nice for a quick swim and fun for our 12 year old. Room was very comfortable, clean and nice size - we did get a bit of a view that was appreicated. All the employees we encountered were service oriented and helpful. Only down side was waiting on access to the front desk or concierge ....seemed to always have a line.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your insights and allowing us to look into the arrival area for better options on higher activity days. Your comments are just invaluable to us, they truly are a gift. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and found the location to be convenient for you and your family. I personally love that there is a mall within walking distance, how fun is that! Well, we do hope you consider us for any future visits as it would be great to be of service again soon!
Lake Elsinore, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Great place for those folks on business! Fashionable, clean the food is good and it has a great work out room. Close to Burbank and Pasadena and easily accessed from the 101. If you are Platinum the club lounge is terrific and the associates remember you and treat you like family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for that amazing review! I don’t think we’ve ever been called Fashionable! We just love that !
I agree with you, a great workout facility can really make or brake it for some travelers, and our gym is beautiful with great equipment and natural light which is very nice. We hope your business or personal travels bring you back soon! Our dedicated staff will always be here for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Garland
#10 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,884 reviews

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!