“A good start to our trip”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #104 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne, Australia
“A good start to our trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Universal, having never been to LA before, I was quite happy with the location. Universal Studios is just up the road, maybe a 10 minute walk if that (I'm a very slow walker), there is a shuttle that runs from the Sheraton to Universal City Walk about every 10 - 15 minutes. City walk was very convenient as there are several restaurants to choose from and shops for anyone interested in some retail therapy. We ate at the Hard Rock Cafe one night, the service was exceptional, very friendly staff. We also ate at Bubba Gumps which I was a bit worried about being that it's like a eme restaurant but the food was very good, large portions.

The room is quite nice however my husband and I ended up with two double beds rather then one king but other then that it was good. The bathroom is quite small but functional, but there are two things I don't like about hotel bathrooms and unfortunately the Sheraton had both of them, I do 't like a shower over the bath and I hate shower curtains.

The concierge was very helpful, especially Fernando, he was very knowledgable and told us the best way to get around. ( the metro is just at the bottom of the hill, a quick walk I think there might also be a shuttle there. The train is very easy to catch and the trip into Hollywood for the walk of fame, Kodak theatre etc is only one stop and costs just $1.50)

The buffet breakfast was nice and although we got down late on our first morning there was still plenty to choose from.

There is no fridge in the room but there is a shop in the lobby if you want to by juice, water etc.

There is free wi-fi but only in the lobby.

If you want to do the hop on hop off bus tour it's quite good and you can be picked up and dropped off back at the Sheraton depending on your timing, we missed the last bus back at the end of the day so we just caught the train from Hollywood Blvd.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Wanted to take a quick spring break trip so I booked this hotel to go to Universal Studios and be close. I booked it six weeks early...and then checked the Sheraton web site two weeks prior to see if rates had changed. To my joy, they had gone down significantly, so I cancelled, and re-booked my two rooms, saving over $700. That paid for our first day of fun!

Check in was great...loved our guys at check in (I wrote his name down and can't find it!!) as they made the process as easy as can be. Lobby was beautiful and they explained all the amenities.

Room was standard LA..small, but nice and clean. Bathroom was very small, and I have never seen a toilet under a sink...so that was a first for me.

We were club level and enjoyed the breakfast, including fresh fruit and yogurt. Staff there was also very friendly. Fitness center was very good, and I liked having computers with printers in the club level and business center.

Nothing to complain about for sure. Five minute walk to the front door of the studio and all the shops.

Room Tip: Keep checking the web site for rate changes!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a 4 night trip from the UK to Los Angeles. We booked the hotel separately via virginholidays.com and paid a decent rate compared to other hotels in Los Angeles. We did not necessarily stay at this hotel in order to be close to Universal Studios, however we did like the idea of being close to Universal City Walk so that we could see the sights of LA during the day and then have a variety of restaurants, shops and bars within walking distance of the hotel in the evening. Obviously it is an added bonus if you intend on visiting Universal Studios theme park because it is literally across the road from the hotel.

I literally have no negatives about this hotel. The staff were very friendly and welcoming from the moment we arrived. The cost to park our rental car in the hotel car park was advertised as $18 per night, but the check-in staff informed us that they would only charge us $9 per night which was unexpected but a great saving and very nice of them. We were also given breakfast vouchers for the 4 days, which was a massive money saver. The breakfast buffet included cereals, bagels, pastries, hot breakfast items and much more. Fantastic food to set you up for the day ahead and great service. The vouchers we were given were for up to the value of $21.50 and included tax and gratuity. I don't believe that all guests were given these vouchers. I think it may depend on who you book with.

Our room was on the 10th floor and was clean and modern, with a very comfortable bed and a fantastic view. The bathroom was big, clean and modern with a shower over the bath. There was an iron, ironing board, safe, hairdryer and tea/coffee facilities. Also a flat screen tv with a selection of channels. Wi-fi is $9.95 per night per device, however we were offered free wi-fi for the whole of our say if we were interested in joining the Sheraton loyalty programme which was a great deal. For those not interested in signing up to the loyalty programme, there is free internet at the pc's in the lobby.

I would highly recommend this hotel, whether you intend to visit Universal Studios or not. You are literally a stone's throw away from Universal Studios and Ciy Walk which is great for all ages. However I would strongly advise having a car whilst staying at this hotel if you do plan to see the sights of LA, as taxi's will be expensive to get around LA. There is a subway station within a few hundred yards of the hotel which will take you to downtown LA, but a car would be more convenient to get around. Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard are approx 10-15 minutes drive away, and the Warner Bros Studio is only 10 minutes drive away which I highly recommend a visit to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lugey1980
South Pole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

After having driven past this hotel hundreds of times over the past 30 years, I finally had my first stay. It would be considered a landmark LA hotel skyscraper even though I don't know when it was built, but I would guess in the mid 1970's. There aren't many decently maintained hotels of this caliber still in original condition these days, but the Sheraton Universal is. When you consider the room size, building amenities and physical structure of hotel design from 40 years ago, this is what you get with the Sheraton. There is only so much a minor or major renovation can do with small original bathrooms and guestrooms. That being said, I had a nice pool facing room with balcony, and only on the day or departure did this turn out to be a liability (read: out of control, shrieking children at the pool). The reception area was efficient and friendly. I ordered a "to go" sandwich at the restaurant which was very acceptable. My only complaint would be a fairly limited TV channel selection which was missing MSNBC. Unfortunately one of the 20 stations offered was the propaganda station of Fox News.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor room "NOT" in the main tower. These rooms have balconys.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Viking94708
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a great location. Just a brief walk or free shuttle ride away to Universal Studios and Citywalk with lots of touristy restaurants.  The location us perfect for visiting some entertainment industry sites without a car.

The staff is exceptional being attentive to every need. The lobby is an active bar at night that is transformed into a Starbucks in the morning. I have stayed here on three occasions and have always met someone interesting.

A subway stop is a brief walk down a hill. It gets you quick access to the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the legendary Graums Chinese Theater complete with handprints of the stars. One can also travel to the far end of that subway station to access authentic Mexican cuisine.

Fast food is also a 15 min walk away with places like Carl's and In & Out Burger. Given the car culture of LA this is a nice antidote in a location that is fun safe and family friendly.

• Stayed March 2013
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I attended a weekend conference hosted by the Sheraton Universal and stayed over two extra nights to visit my journalist brother. Service in all departments (reception desk, concierge, guest services, gift shop, restaurant, chambermaids) was excellent-- so many friendly and helpful people!-- and the conference went without a single hitch. The hotel gave me a room on their preferred guest floor with a breathtaking view of Los Angeles all the way to the mountains on the distant horizon. The room was comfortable and clean, but the bathroom showed rather too much wear and tear for a first-class hotel, e.g., poor drainage and incipient cracks in the tub, although the public areas are beautifully maintained. Sound insulation between rooms was great, and the bed was very, very comfortable: I would give A+ for sleep quality except for the late-night party-goers who lingered out in the hallway at 3 AM. The hotel also seemed a little short-staffed-- I had to wait twice for more than ten minutes at the front desk because only one person was on duty and there was a line-- which is, again, less than what one might expect at a first-class hotel. The hotel is located just up the hill from Universal Studios (and hence attracts a certain type of tourist, who may account for some of the wear and tear) but is also a convenient 5-minute walk from a Metro stop (great for someone like me, who flew in and did not rent a car).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We transferred here from the Sheraton Anaheim to spend a day at universal studios. It was like it was another world from the Anaheim hotel. It seems like a very glamorous place--lots of LA looking people chatting in the lobby, sparkling white floors and furniture. It seemed very hip. Because of our starwood status we were upgraded to a suite, which was appreciated. The staff was very responsive--I have a hard time opening the door to the ice machine and they sent someone to look at the door and they sent a bucket of ice to the room within 5 minutes. The fitness room is very nice. And it is close to universal--we walked with kids a couple of times (ask the front desk to tell you about the "shortcut"). But the shuttle runs frequently, too. Great place! I only give it four stars because again, the carpet in the hallway was bumpy--and there were some creepy doors in our hallway without handles on them that seems broken and frankly, made me feel uneasy. Also the lobby is heavily perfumed--it smelled nice but if you were sensitive to fragrances you would probably have a bad time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Garland
#10 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,885 reviews

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!