“Good both for work and play”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #109 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Mountain View, California
“Good both for work and play”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I visited: a Conference for me, Universal Studios for her. This hotel is good both for work and play. The conference facilities were very good. While I worked my wife had time to kill, so the staff was kind enough to give her Club Lounge access so she could snack and check her emails. Do join the Starwood Points Club since you get certain perks like this as a member.
The complimentary Tram took us up and down the hill to Universal Studios and StudioWalk in just a few minutes which saved a lot of time and energy for us. My only complaint was that I wrote a letter ahead of my visit to request my points be credited and they never were.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley D, Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We always enjoy reading reviews from guests who experienced all the hotel and the local area have to offer. Thank you for sharing your comments regarding the conference facilities, SPG benefits and the convenient location to local attractions. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy your conference while your wife experienced Universal Studios and our Club Lounge. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this property for one night and absolutely loved the hotel. I arrived via Super Shuttle from LAX which was a good value. The hotel is very convenient for those looking to be in the Hollywood area. The gentleman at the reception was kind enough to give me free wi-fi as I was only staying for one night and I am close enough to gold level in the SPG program.

After a night of work/television, I hopped into the clean bed with the pristine white sheets. I got a great sleep and the room was very dark once you close the curtains, which is great for me because I am a light sleeper. In the morning, I used the complementary fitness center which was very nice as I was able to keep up with my gym routine. Breakfast was had the typical fare and my bill was accurate upon check-out. The front desk was also helpful in explaining where to get the Metro train so that I could get to my next meeting which was conveniently on the Red Line. All in all, a fantastic stay and I would stay here again and eagerly recommend this property to anyone on the fence.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ashley D, Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing this delightful review with us and our future guests. We are so grateful for your loyalty to our hotel and to the Starwood Brand. It is always such a joy to hear from guests who experienced the entire hotel and all the local area has to offer. Thank you for your comments regarding the comfort of the guestrooms and the clean pristine bedding. We know how important gym routines can be to our guests so we are glad to hear you found our Sheraton Fitness Center to be more than accommodating. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Essex
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just a quick update on our review for November 2011, having been in contact with the Manager (Randy) he has promised to make sure we will be OK next time, which will be Feb 2013! Will keep you to this Randy, I see in one of the replies he says it is a 'secure' car park, sadly not 'that' secure, on our last visit, our rental car had the number plate (licence plate) bent upwards by 90 degrees, not much, but annoying all the same, but we did not mention it, when we took it back, the rental co, did ask, but we said we knew nithing about it, and must have been in a supermarket!
Hoping for a really nice room next time (Randy !!!) nive and high with a good view, this Hotel can't be that bad, although we have had 'issues' this will be our 5th or 6th stay with them :-) Further update Feb 2013: well we will be arriving at the Sheraton at about 1900/2000 after a long flight from the UK, bit concerned about reviews that say you need to book in at 1500 to get a good room! Maybe that is why we have been unlucky before? Randy the Manager has moved on, I think to NYC, Daniel is now in charge I think :-) maybe he will give us a CLUB ROOM tomorrow (Mon 11th) ? we have stayed here for some 6 years, always been good, but there has always been a bit of a downer at some point... waking up at 3am with hoards of ants walking over you!, another time after an 'event' shouting in the corridor at 1am and the corridor stinking of alchohol! and a noisy rooms (mechanical noise?) having said that, the staff are very nice and helpful, I understand it is being refurbed, but on our last visit the room did look 'tired' and no fridge either! so the SHERATON have promised to 'make it up to us' on this trip, on previous trips, they have forgotten, and I did not mention it at the time....there should be notes on the booking info that staff have :-) I do appreciate the facilty whereby you can have items delivered to the Hotel and they keep it, my wife being disabled cannot travel to the USA, but likes to buy on line as though she was there :-) The walk to Citywalk will do you good :-) as will the walk back from the Metro Stn.....UPHILL ! :-) Looking forward to a good 2 week stay at the 'Universal'

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ashley D, Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your past stays and your expectations for your current stay. Guest feedback and expectations are very helpful in ensuring that you have a remarkable stay while here as our guest. After speaking with the Front Desk, everything seems to have gone very smoothly with your check-in to your club level room. In regards to your past stay you mention there not being a refrigerator available; I would like to note that refrigerators can be requested through the hotel and we would be delighted to deliver one should you so request. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly should you require any further assistance whether on this stay or the next. The General Manager is Greg Clarke and he would be happy to connect with you. Thank you again and we trust that you will enjoy your stay at the Sheraton Universal.
Colchester UK
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well, although we have had some 'issues' with the Sheraton Universal over the years, we have been staying there for 5 or 6 years, so they must be doing something right :-) We are going again (11th Feb), looking forward to it, we do love their room service, maybe not the biggest, or cheapest meals, but very tasty, and prompt too!
They have promised to sort out our previous problems on this trip, so will see if they do :-) somehow on our other trips, they seem to have forgotten :-) I have to say based on our last trip (Nov 2011) the staff are very friendly and helpful, the lobby looks magnificent, have to agree on the 'tired' rooms though, although I understand the Hotel was being refurbed a couple of years ago, assumed this was rooms too ? EXCELLENT for Univerrsal & City Walk, and 5 mins walk TO the Metro, more like 15 on the way back.........................steep hill! also very handy for the Freeway 101 (Feeeway or Slo-ways in LA?)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's always nice to receive solid service on your travels. The reassurance of familiarity works wonders when far from home. Everybody we encountered was super friendly and well versed in the hospitality business. Location was great and the valet super fast. You could be on the 101 within five minutes of leaving the room and down on Sunset in another five, except in rush hour. Food was OK and service professional. While the hotel has done a good job renovating public spaces, the rooms are in dire need of revamping. Housekeeping was great but not miracle workers. They couldn't turn an old room into a new one. I think it's time to go at it one floor at a time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've never been so thankful for free shuttle service until I stayed at this hotel. On a rare rainy weekend in Los Angeles, I stayed at this property to go to Universal Studios and a No Doubt Concert. The location was great, the service was great, and my overall stay was, well...great! My only complaint is that the 'queen' beds looked and felt more like 'full' beds, but otherwise my friends and I were happy campers. Even with a holiday party going on upstairs, it didn't slow down the valet or shuttle service, which may seem little but sometimes it's the little things that count.
Self park to save a couple of dollars per night and there was ample parking!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HelloKittyLover0717
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest , thank you for the review and I agree, the shuttle makes things very easy and convenient. Your comments are fully noted and shared with the managers involved. Our goal is to facilitate the most restful conditions and ultimate in convenience for our valued guests ,such as yourself. Thank you kindly for your feedback and we look forward to your next arrival.
Seattle
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The neighboring Hilton wanted $150 more per night. We were a walk-in reservation. Had a nice, clean, comfortable room. The people working everywhere were so polite. Nice bar. Easy walk from the theme park and City Walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest , thank you for the review! Perfect , comfortable, clean , great associates and nice bar. It is just fantastic that you had such a great stay. I believe that the team at the hotel really put the effort to make every guests experience a great one. Please visit again soon, we look forward to your arrival.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Garland
#13 of 351 in Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!