“Pre-empt of next visit!”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #103 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Colchester UK
“Pre-empt of next visit!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well, although we have had some 'issues' with the Sheraton Universal over the years, we have been staying there for 5 or 6 years, so they must be doing something right :-) We are going again (11th Feb), looking forward to it, we do love their room service, maybe not the biggest, or cheapest meals, but very tasty, and prompt too!
They have promised to sort out our previous problems on this trip, so will see if they do :-) somehow on our other trips, they seem to have forgotten :-) I have to say based on our last trip (Nov 2011) the staff are very friendly and helpful, the lobby looks magnificent, have to agree on the 'tired' rooms though, although I understand the Hotel was being refurbed a couple of years ago, assumed this was rooms too ? EXCELLENT for Univerrsal & City Walk, and 5 mins walk TO the Metro, more like 15 on the way back.........................steep hill! also very handy for the Freeway 101 (Feeeway or Slo-ways in LA?)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's always nice to receive solid service on your travels. The reassurance of familiarity works wonders when far from home. Everybody we encountered was super friendly and well versed in the hospitality business. Location was great and the valet super fast. You could be on the 101 within five minutes of leaving the room and down on Sunset in another five, except in rush hour. Food was OK and service professional. While the hotel has done a good job renovating public spaces, the rooms are in dire need of revamping. Housekeeping was great but not miracle workers. They couldn't turn an old room into a new one. I think it's time to go at it one floor at a time.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've never been so thankful for free shuttle service until I stayed at this hotel. On a rare rainy weekend in Los Angeles, I stayed at this property to go to Universal Studios and a No Doubt Concert. The location was great, the service was great, and my overall stay was, well...great! My only complaint is that the 'queen' beds looked and felt more like 'full' beds, but otherwise my friends and I were happy campers. Even with a holiday party going on upstairs, it didn't slow down the valet or shuttle service, which may seem little but sometimes it's the little things that count.
Self park to save a couple of dollars per night and there was ample parking!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HelloKittyLover0717
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest , thank you for the review and I agree, the shuttle makes things very easy and convenient. Your comments are fully noted and shared with the managers involved. Our goal is to facilitate the most restful conditions and ultimate in convenience for our valued guests ,such as yourself. Thank you kindly for your feedback and we look forward to your next arrival.
Seattle
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The neighboring Hilton wanted $150 more per night. We were a walk-in reservation. Had a nice, clean, comfortable room. The people working everywhere were so polite. Nice bar. Easy walk from the theme park and City Walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest , thank you for the review! Perfect , comfortable, clean , great associates and nice bar. It is just fantastic that you had such a great stay. I believe that the team at the hotel really put the effort to make every guests experience a great one. Please visit again soon, we look forward to your arrival.
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Good location , good service, we asked for a refrigerator twice tho... They don't have one in room !! But the rest was ok.. They forget to clean our room one night but it was ok... We were too tired to complain at the time

• Stayed January 2013
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest, your feedback is so important and will certainly be followed up on immediately . Our guest needs are top priority and I make it a point to follow up on the lapse of service. I am however glad to see that you had a nice visit and your experience was a good one. If you return please don’t hesitate to call me directly so that I can personally assist with your room reservations. Thank you kindly for your time and hopefully I will hear from you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Jan 17-18 2013, the original plan was to stay Jan 17-21 2013
The staff at the hotel with the exception of the bell men was very rude and snobby.It all began from check-in. I booked on a star-hot rate because my sister is employed with Starwood hotels,However when doing so you must provide the hotel with the Star hot document upon arrival or before the end of your stay in order not to be charged that nights rate w/o the discount.I did not have my Star Hot doc when I checked in,Why did I make that mistake? I was judged from that moment! The front desk agent gave me nothing but attitude.Even when providing her with my credit card to place on file she asked,"Is this a regular credit card or a debit card?",also she asked me for my boyfriends name because she said the hotel requires to have names of everyone who's staying in the room,I know this is not true and I observed her check-in 2 couples before me and none of these questions were asked to them.By then I knew what i was facing and its a shame that in 2013 it still exist. I was very uncomfortable with staying at this place. I stayed ONE NIGHT and got the hell out of there.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

UK
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed for a conference (in the 21st floor Starview room which was very nice and 3 sides glass) Friday then for the weekend at Universal Studios.

The 18th floor is great and for SPG members. The lounge is 9th floor which was pleasant.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is a 10 minute walk to the Universal Studios entrance and the vibrant City Walk which is home to many food and drink establishments. I would recommend the Dueling Piano Bar for some great later evening entertainment.

The rooms were clean and airy with ironing board, etc and free wifi for business guests.

I did hear that some guest on lower levels had to wait a long time (10 minutes) for hot water to come through in the early morning but this was not my experience.

Recomended

Room Tip: You can face the universal studios and see the transformers ride in the distance (and judge queues b...