“Very convenient hotel”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #134 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We enjoyed our stay and it was so near universal studios. The staff there are very helpful and friendly. The one thing I am disappointed with is that I think every hotel should have free wi fi in all areas of a hotel.

I had my iPad with me but would have to pay for wi fi whilst using it. The hotel did allow guests to use the computer in the lobby free for 45 minutes twice a day, so that was a plus.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit . Please trust that your comments are noted and shared with the mangers involved. We appreciate your invaluable feedback and thank you kindly for taking the time to write. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed at the Sheraton Universal several times over the past fifteen years or so. The good news is that the property has been nicely redecorated so that the public spaces and rooms look nice. Unfortunately, the hotel was built in the 60's, and no amount of cosmetic improvements can change the fact that the Sheraton is old. You can see and feel it.

Advantages:
1) Location is great if you want to be close to Universal Studios and Citywalk. Burbank airport is close by. Universal City is the termination of Metro's Red Line; so, you have easy access to Hollywood and downtown LA even if you don't have a car.
2) Rooms have a contemporary feel and are reasonably spacious, but bathrooms are small. The bathroom door gets in the way of using the toilet. The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed rivals Westin's Heavenly Bed.
3) The workout room is nice with Lifefitness treadmills, ellipticals and both recumbent and upright cycles.
4) Staff are friendly and responsive.

Disadvantages:
1) The air conditioning/heating system is archaic. It can't do both at the same time; so having a thermostat designed to maintain a constant temperature whether it's hot or cold outside is impossible. With the ventilation system set to 70 degrees, the temperature in my room gradually increased to 80 degrees. On request, an engineer came to my room and explained that if the outside temperature is "cool" (defined by him as 50-60), the hotel system would automatically send hot water through the pipes and "heat" the rooms regardless of the interior temperature or where a thermostat is set. Hence, my 70 degree room quickly turned into an 80 degree room. Solution as recommended by the engineer: Shut down down the ventilation system!
2) A reasonably large outdoor pool can't be used for lap swimming apparently because of a state regulation requiring a rope that separates the shallow from deeper ends. This "safety" feature prevents children from floating or wandering into the deep. Of course, it doesn't prevent a child from falling into the deep end and drowning. The net effect is that an adult can't use the pool for anything other than splashing around. This, of course, may not be the fault of the hotel but the result of a well-intentioned bureaucratic rule. However, the last time I stayed here this was not the case.
3) Lanai rooms encircle the outdoor pool and are, theoretically, upgraded. At this time of year, the pool area looks rather desolate with leaves all over the place and the pool devoid of people. It doesn't appear attractive, and I wouldn't want a room with balcony overlooking this scene. It would be a waste of money.

The Sheraton isn't a bad place to stay, but it's age clearly shows through. In the area are other more contemporary hotels, especially the Hilton Universal next door and the Loew's Hollywood (one stop away on the Metro line). With a good rate, the Sheraton would be an acceptable choice; otherwise, I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest, thank you very much you for taking the time to give us a detailed account of your visit . The comfort and convenience of our guests is of primary importance to us and your feedback is certainly noted and shared. It is very useful in our efforts to be the “home away from home” to our very valued guests. And thank you for the kind praise to the Sheraton Team, it will be passed on as well. You are a very valued guest to me and it would be wonderful to have you back. If your travel bring you back this way please don’t hesitate to ask for me and I will happily assets with your reservations.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel has seen better days. It is an older hotel that has not been updated. The rooms were good size, but the bathrooms were very small. The service was hit or miss. The woman who checked me in gave me the impression I was bothering her. At lunch, there was only one waitress on duty. She spent a great deal of time chatting with one table and ignoring the rest of us. The busboy tried to be helpful but could not take my order or bring my bill. The woman in the lobby at the coffee bar and the night time bartender were excellent as was the concierge. The workout room is small, but has weights and cardio machines. The hotel is within walking distance of a great collection of restaurants and shops at Universal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest, thank you very much you for taking the time to write about your last visit. It is certainly disappointing to see that you were not greeted properly. Ours is a people business and there is no room for anything but exceptional service. Your comments are reviewed and shared with the mangers involved as they are very helpful in our efforts moving forward in assuring our guests are fully satisfied and comfortable. Thank you again for your time and we do hope your travels bring you back this way again so we can show our true interest in you, as our valued guest .

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here for about four nights on a business trip this fall. I was expecting more for the Sheraton that's on Universal property, but overall it was fine and I'd stay there again. The lobby of the hotel is great, and the restaurants and business center are great as well. I was staying on the second floor, right above the fitness center. This section of the hotel is a bit old and tired and really could use a facelift. The quality of the room was okay, but the elevator and hallways are showing their age. Based on how nice the lobby and entry is, I was expecting a lot more out of the actual hotel. If they gave the rest of the hotel a facelift to bring it in line with the lobby, this would have been a five star stay for me. The fitness center is a bit small, but not crowded while I was there. The restaurant is nice, the food is good for a hotel restaurant. There's room for improvement in this hotel, but nothing that would keep me from coming back.

Room Tip: Avoid the bottom floors if you can
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank erniegirard

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. Your observations for renovations and a Hollywood makeover is noted and shared! Your comments are very valuable and we are happy to see that your travels may bring you back this way again. If you do decide to return please contact me directly. No amount of effort will be spared to make sure you have a fabulous visit at the Sheraton Universal.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We checked in yesterday for a 2 day conference...they welcomed us & our pets without any problems...every worker I met acknowledged us & helped us find spots for our pets to run around...amazed with the customer service & the room...housekeeping checked on us if we needed anything...so far having a great experience...only complaint is foood...wayy too expensive...but what do you expect if you are just a few feet away from Universal Studios

Room Tip: Rooms on the TL floor is quieter at least this time of the year...its down floor from the traffic ar...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. We are pet friendly and welcome your four legged friends with open arms! I’m so glad to see that you had a great visit and that the Sheraton family made you feel special. Please do contact me if you decide to return and I will be happy to assist with your reservations. Many many thanks from everyone at the Sheraton Universal Hotel!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I thought the hotel was clean, lobby was nice and the room was also nice. If you want to be near Universal, this is perfect. It is a short walk-10 minutes from hotel to Universal but it is an uphill walk. A walk not good for my elderly mother. However, they do have a shuttle that takes you from the hotel to Universal City Walk. For a family on a budget, the hotel is pricey for food and the restaurants at Universal City Walk are pricey. Typical pricing for staying in a popular city. We ended up purchasing breakfast cereal for the kids at Starbucks. But the Starbucks is not a full service Starbucks. The only food items were breakfast burritos and yogurt parfaits. I think they only make 3 burritos. Once they are out, there is no more. We ate lunch at the park and dinner at the restaurants at Universal City Walk. Short distances to popular destinations but driving to these destinations can take long due to the awful traffic in LA. Our main goal was to be near Universal and this was an excellent hotel to serve this purpose. The front desk staff and concierge were very courteous and helpful. Should we go to Universal, I would stay there with my family again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest , thank you for your great feedback. I agree, it is short distances to some very popular destinations and there are alternative ways to get to other further places as well, like the subway which is also fun. The fact that the park and the outdoor mall is so close to the hotel makes it rather convenient. Most of the time our guests find that they have all they need right here in walking distance. We appreciate you and the time you took to write. It is our hope that your travels will bring you back again this way soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Universal for the MacTech conference, and found it average. In that way it failed to meet my expectations, as I've experienced much better from other brands. The rooms were fine, beds were comfortable, and the front desk staff was helpful.

A couple of negatives:

• I received a complimentary glass of wine upon checkin which was great. However, in the 3 nights I stayed housekeeping never took away that obviously dirty glass. Not a big deal, but the continual failure to do this really stood out.

• Towels were replaced daily even though I hung them up in accordance with their green program. Most hotels seem to fail to follow through on this program, but its an annoyance none-the-less.

• Housekeeping never replaced used plastic cups.

• Wireless internet, at $10 a night, was completely and totally unusable. I was able to get this refunded at check-out but wifi internet access is not exactly cutting edge technology these days. Its a basic amenity that I expect to work. It should have worked, and since it didn't I should have been refunded automatically.

• Finally, not related to the room, the conference sessions were held in their banquet halls on the lower floor. They were absolutely freezing. I wish I had packed a winter coat!

Would I stay there again? Not unless I had to. I'm sure the Hilton next door is nicer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest , thank you for your feedback and it is unfortunate that you left with a negative impression. Our main objective is to create a comfortable, inviting and convenient environment for our valued guests such as yourself. It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality of both product and service, and it is vital to our continued success to receive your invaluable feedback and know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. I appreciate you for taking the extra time to write and your comments are shared with the managers involved. Thank you kindly and I hope that you would be kind enough to give us the chance to regain your confidence on another occasion . You can always reach out to me directly if you chose to return.