“Older hotel, OUTSTANDING service, great location!”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #108 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Camano Island, Washington
“Older hotel, OUTSTANDING service, great location!”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Checked in very late on 9/11/12 for business. Gabrielle helped my business partner and I at the bar and told us the kitchen was closed, but about 10 minutes later, she returned with a sandwhich, fries, chips & salsa and said, "I'm not charging you for this. I'm sorry our kitchen is closed." Wow! If that wasn't enough, the next day, Sam Samanon help me at the front desk. When I told her the barking little dog in the adjoining room kept us awake, without even blinking, she apologized profusely, explained it was a pet friendly hotel and she immediately compensated our bill and our parking! Wow! Sam & Gabrielle are shining stars for Sheraton!

Room Tip: Pool side room was great for me. It was quiet, away from the noise, larger than normal and the sun...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank T B
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Guest, I am very happy to read of the service exceeding your expectations. We make it our business to see our guest’s are taken care of and happy throughout their visits. We appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed account of your experience, and we will pass on the praise to the Sheraton Team. Iti s our hope that you will return soon with the whole family. We look forward to your next arrival.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tracy, CA
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at Sheraton Universal City over the weekend. Cannot say enough good about the hotel. Love the location, close to Universal Studios, love that they allow dogs, love the package deal with breakfast, 2 tickets and parking. Love love love the view from the 16th floor. The only thing I could wish for is a small refridge in the room. The only other thing is that we went to the hot tub in the evening and it was very very dirty. We used our SPG points and got one night free. It was a perfect weekend. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest , so glad to hear the you had a perfect stay! Just wonderful. Thank you for the feedback and the comment’s. We are addressing the concerns that you mentioned right away, and if you return we do have refrigerators available to our guests as well, and would be happy to send one to your room. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
calgary
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in August. It was great. Jayson at check-in was professional and efficient. He recognized my gold status and went over my gold benefits and offered me all the perks accordingly. The club room lead by Kevin? was friendly and well-stocked. My in-laws who stayed in a separate room mentioned how they could over hear the neighbours as the walls are quite thin. Luckily our neighbour was quiet. One beef I have is that the parking pass ended at midnight the night before check-out for both mine and the in-laws. I e-mailed the hotel about it but they never responded after 2 weeks. The parking pass should have lasted until noon the day of check out??

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I appreciate your feedback. I’m glad that you enjoyed your visit and the associate’s made sure all your needs were met. I certainly apologize for the mishap with the parking , that should not have happened. The parking pass is good until midnight , which does make it very convenient for the guests who want to still spend some time at the park. We greatly appreciate the praise to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Walnut
Reviewed September 9, 2012

As a Platinum SPG member, I booked Sheraton Universal using points. I was traveling with my adult son and made it clear when I made the reservation that I needed two queen beds, and if they had two queens available in a suite upgrade I had 10 free suite upgrades on my account. They told me not to use the suite upgrade because the computer would assign a suite, so they just did a platinum upgrade and reserved the suite with two queens while I was on the phone. I also told them I was celebrating my birthday and doing the VIP experience at Universal (which was awesome. I highly recommend it). Five years ago there would have been chocolates and a nice note in my room just for staying there as a platinum member, but those days with SPG are long gone. Now they don't do anything special, even for your birthday. This time, I got a suite on a low floor with one King bed and a roll away, used coffee cups and water bottles in the garbage, and it was obvious someone has used the sitting area and left notes on the pen-pad. They told me there were no rooms available with two queens and implied I should be grateful they upgraded me to a suite. I didn't care about the suite, I cared about two beds. After a long, physically exhausting week I had promised my son the heavenly bed so I ended up sleeping (or should I say not sleeping) on an uncomfortable cot for my birthday. This is not my first bad experience with SPG when using points. In fact, it is typical. What surprises me most is that I pay for rooms in starwood properties 7 days a week, most weeks of the year. Often there are better hotels available in the area I am in but I stay loyal to starwood because of the rewards program. Then when I try to use the points (usually a special occassion or vacation) I get far worse rooms than what I typically pay for, and I am treated like I should be grateful for the "Freebee." Like I said, this is far from my first bad experience using points, but it is my LAST bad experience. For my birthday I am treating myself to something I have been considering all year, switching to the Hilton. With the number of nights I stay in hotels, I will be Diamond in three months!

Room Tip: Try the Hilton?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, it is certainly disheartening to read of the inconvenience you dealt with and I am very sorry you had to do so. From reading your review it gives us some insight to areas in which we can improve on. Our guests are extremely important to us, and it is important to me that we get a chance to regain your trust. I will be happy to assist with any future visits if your travels bring you back this way. Pease keep me as your contact and thank you again for the detailed information. I appreciate your time and I hope to hear from you again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Right next to Universal Studios, so a great location. We were on the 9th floor, rooms were comfortable, but a bit tired. Adjoining room, so quite noisy.

Concierge staff were only interested in valet parking and tips, so we got no service when we arrived (we were self parking). Check-in was good, friendly, but we couldn't find anyone to assist us to check out.

Big pool party on the day we arrived, surly security barked at us when we tried to go to the pool.

Waitress poured water into my wife's half-full wine glass, but apologised profusely and gave us a new (full) glass. Mistakes happen, and she handled it well.

I don't know that I would stay here again, will probably try the Hilton next time (which also has mixed reviews...)

Room Tip: I think some of the rooms have been recently renovated, ask for one of them. Make sure you don't...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SingMoh
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Guest , thank you for taking the time write of you your experience and I am an very sorry about the inconvenience you experienced. Please trust that your comments will be shared among the managers involved. In consideration of our guests we have discontinued the pool party’s as well. Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you bank again in the future.
Colorado
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family and I stayed here for two nights in August 2012. We chose this location to be close to Universal Studio's. Our group was Me, my sister and our three teenage boys.
From the moment we drove up the staff here went out of their way to make our stay special. Every employee we came across was friendly, helpful and polite. I give the staff of the Sheraton Universal two thumbs up.
It was one of my best stays at a Sheraton Hotel. Our rooms were nicely decorated and clean. The view of LA was great. The hotel and area felt safe.

My only down to the stay was that one room was next to the elevator and we were awakened by the elevator noise a few times. I would usually slam a hotel for keeping me awake but we had such a good time that I would just recommend asking for room away from the elevator. I didnt hear the noise till the second night after we had gone to bed. I am sure they would have moved us if we had informed the hotel.
Other noteable details on this property are:
There is a free shuttle to Universal Studio's. It runs about every 15 minutes. The walk to Universal is do-able. It probably takes 8 to 10 minutes.
The pool was average nice. The hot tub is terrible. Very small ( holds 5 people) and I swear the seats and sides are stucco'ed. Very uncomfortable.
Parking is $18.00 per day. There is a bar in the downstairs lobby area with a lot of private area's to talk. It looked very inviting.
We were here on a special with Military Pricing. I Thank the Sheraton for supporting our troops with this discount.

Room Tip: Away from Elevator
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback and the kind works to the team. It is very important to us that we receive your feedback allowing us to make the proper adjustments needed to improve our guests experience .I’m glad you found the hotel to be convenient, the staff to be welcoming and your overall visit to be memorable. You are a valued guest and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I give this a five star just beacause of the staff. I had a couple off problems which I did complain about and the reaction of the management was excellent and the problems were soon forgotten. Special mention to Mr. Alfano, head of Food and Bev.

Per se the hotel is so-so . We were assigned a really good room , high up with amazing view of the valley. Rooms are a bit pokey though, esp bathroom. Pool area is a bit small. Prob should have mentioned it to reception, but there does seem to be a lot of plumbing noise which did upset sleep somewhat.

Warning : not had this before , but wi-fi is chargeable by device rather than by room. Didnt feel hotel made this clear enough. But again acknowledged it when I left. I jst dont understand how the value chains can provide it free and higher cost hotels charge. One day soon they'll get it maybe.

Easy walk to Universal / City Walk.

The Hilton next door might look fancier, but I would defintiely go here again simply as I know the staff will look after you.

All in all, thanks to the management for a good 3-night stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest , thank you so much for your feedback . We will share the great praise with the team . We believe that the team at this hotel helps take the guest experience to another level of fun and excitement! I’m glad to see that your concerns were taken care of immediately and that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. You are a very valued guest and we look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Garland
#13 of 351 in Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!