“SPG is a Huge Disappointment - Again!”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #110 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Walnut
“SPG is a Huge Disappointment - Again!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

As a Platinum SPG member, I booked Sheraton Universal using points. I was traveling with my adult son and made it clear when I made the reservation that I needed two queen beds, and if they had two queens available in a suite upgrade I had 10 free suite upgrades on my account. They told me not to use the suite upgrade because the computer would assign a suite, so they just did a platinum upgrade and reserved the suite with two queens while I was on the phone. I also told them I was celebrating my birthday and doing the VIP experience at Universal (which was awesome. I highly recommend it). Five years ago there would have been chocolates and a nice note in my room just for staying there as a platinum member, but those days with SPG are long gone. Now they don't do anything special, even for your birthday. This time, I got a suite on a low floor with one King bed and a roll away, used coffee cups and water bottles in the garbage, and it was obvious someone has used the sitting area and left notes on the pen-pad. They told me there were no rooms available with two queens and implied I should be grateful they upgraded me to a suite. I didn't care about the suite, I cared about two beds. After a long, physically exhausting week I had promised my son the heavenly bed so I ended up sleeping (or should I say not sleeping) on an uncomfortable cot for my birthday. This is not my first bad experience with SPG when using points. In fact, it is typical. What surprises me most is that I pay for rooms in starwood properties 7 days a week, most weeks of the year. Often there are better hotels available in the area I am in but I stay loyal to starwood because of the rewards program. Then when I try to use the points (usually a special occassion or vacation) I get far worse rooms than what I typically pay for, and I am treated like I should be grateful for the "Freebee." Like I said, this is far from my first bad experience using points, but it is my LAST bad experience. For my birthday I am treating myself to something I have been considering all year, switching to the Hilton. With the number of nights I stay in hotels, I will be Diamond in three months!

Room Tip: Try the Hilton?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest, it is certainly disheartening to read of the inconvenience you dealt with and I am very sorry you had to do so. From reading your review it gives us some insight to areas in which we can improve on. Our guests are extremely important to us, and it is important to me that we get a chance to regain your trust. I will be happy to assist with any future visits if your travels bring you back this way. Pease keep me as your contact and thank you again for the detailed information. I appreciate your time and I hope to hear from you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Right next to Universal Studios, so a great location. We were on the 9th floor, rooms were comfortable, but a bit tired. Adjoining room, so quite noisy.

Concierge staff were only interested in valet parking and tips, so we got no service when we arrived (we were self parking). Check-in was good, friendly, but we couldn't find anyone to assist us to check out.

Big pool party on the day we arrived, surly security barked at us when we tried to go to the pool.

Waitress poured water into my wife's half-full wine glass, but apologised profusely and gave us a new (full) glass. Mistakes happen, and she handled it well.

I don't know that I would stay here again, will probably try the Hilton next time (which also has mixed reviews...)

Room Tip: I think some of the rooms have been recently renovated, ask for one of them. Make sure you don't...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SingMoh
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Guest , thank you for taking the time write of you your experience and I am an very sorry about the inconvenience you experienced. Please trust that your comments will be shared among the managers involved. In consideration of our guests we have discontinued the pool party’s as well. Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you bank again in the future.
Colorado
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family and I stayed here for two nights in August 2012. We chose this location to be close to Universal Studio's. Our group was Me, my sister and our three teenage boys.
From the moment we drove up the staff here went out of their way to make our stay special. Every employee we came across was friendly, helpful and polite. I give the staff of the Sheraton Universal two thumbs up.
It was one of my best stays at a Sheraton Hotel. Our rooms were nicely decorated and clean. The view of LA was great. The hotel and area felt safe.

My only down to the stay was that one room was next to the elevator and we were awakened by the elevator noise a few times. I would usually slam a hotel for keeping me awake but we had such a good time that I would just recommend asking for room away from the elevator. I didnt hear the noise till the second night after we had gone to bed. I am sure they would have moved us if we had informed the hotel.
Other noteable details on this property are:
There is a free shuttle to Universal Studio's. It runs about every 15 minutes. The walk to Universal is do-able. It probably takes 8 to 10 minutes.
The pool was average nice. The hot tub is terrible. Very small ( holds 5 people) and I swear the seats and sides are stucco'ed. Very uncomfortable.
Parking is $18.00 per day. There is a bar in the downstairs lobby area with a lot of private area's to talk. It looked very inviting.
We were here on a special with Military Pricing. I Thank the Sheraton for supporting our troops with this discount.

Room Tip: Away from Elevator
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback and the kind works to the team. It is very important to us that we receive your feedback allowing us to make the proper adjustments needed to improve our guests experience .I’m glad you found the hotel to be convenient, the staff to be welcoming and your overall visit to be memorable. You are a valued guest and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I give this a five star just beacause of the staff. I had a couple off problems which I did complain about and the reaction of the management was excellent and the problems were soon forgotten. Special mention to Mr. Alfano, head of Food and Bev.

Per se the hotel is so-so . We were assigned a really good room , high up with amazing view of the valley. Rooms are a bit pokey though, esp bathroom. Pool area is a bit small. Prob should have mentioned it to reception, but there does seem to be a lot of plumbing noise which did upset sleep somewhat.

Warning : not had this before , but wi-fi is chargeable by device rather than by room. Didnt feel hotel made this clear enough. But again acknowledged it when I left. I jst dont understand how the value chains can provide it free and higher cost hotels charge. One day soon they'll get it maybe.

Easy walk to Universal / City Walk.

The Hilton next door might look fancier, but I would defintiely go here again simply as I know the staff will look after you.

All in all, thanks to the management for a good 3-night stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest , thank you so much for your feedback . We will share the great praise with the team . We believe that the team at this hotel helps take the guest experience to another level of fun and excitement! I’m glad to see that your concerns were taken care of immediately and that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. You are a very valued guest and we look forward to your return.
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We were really disappointed with the room. We usually stay at the Hilton Universal when we visit Universal Studios, but decided to try out the Sheraton because it is also close to Universal and my husband is a Starwood Gold member. The hotel also was supposedly recently remodeled. With my husband being a Starwood Gold Member, we assumed we were to get an upgrade to our room! However, the room was really small. The service is great, especially the complimentary breakfast and happy hour. They were prompt and friendly. However, the room, especially the bathroom was a disappointment. If I could post a photo of the bathroom, I would. The toilet was directly under the sink which is totally disgusting if you're trying to brush your teeth! It looked like they forgot to add the toilet when they remodeled and just stuck it under the sink! Big disappointment! Needless to say, we will not be staying at the Sheraton Universal again! We'll just stay with the Hilton Universal as we have in the past when visiting Universal Studios.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for the feedback, I certainly apologize that we did not meet your expectation’s with the bathroom layout. Please trust that your comments are shared with the managers involved. We do appreciate your kind praise to the Sheraton team and that feedback will be passed on as well. I am certain that we could regain your trust if you gave us another opportunity to do so. I would be happy to be your contact if you ever decide to return. You are a very valued guest and I do hope to hear from you again
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in the Shrek room which was a fantastic experience. Bed very comfortable, great view. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at this hotel. Concierge arranged a tour of star homes for us - thoroughly enjoyable. Breakfast was excellent. Hotel is in an ideal location for Universal Studios and Citywalk- free shuttle although it is in easy walking distance. We walked home at night after eating at Citywalk (all downhill) Good gym at the hotel. Free internet throughout the hotel, staff really helpful when I was trying to print out boarding cards. Couldn't fault this hotel - excellent stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for the feedback! The Shrek Suite and tour of stars homes sounds like a whole lot of fun indeed. We are so happy you had a nice visit and we really appreciate you writing a detailed review. We will definitely pass on the praise to the team. Please keep me as your contact for any future visits, it would be my pleasure help set up your reservations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We chose this hotel for a few days in Los Angeles not only for its proximity to CityWalk and Universal Hollywood Studios, but also as a fairly central location for driving to Santa Monica, UCLA, USC, etc. I was surprised at the very welcoming check in process; in fact, the hotel manager asked me if I would like a glass of wine - well, yes, please! The room was nice, and had a great city view from huge windows. I'm not a big fan of the shampoo and conditioner used by Sheraton hotels, so my advice would be to bring your own. Also, there was a bit of hallway noise, probably because our room directly faced the waiting area for the elevators. Self parking is easy but expensive ($18 per day). There are many fun places to eat in Citywalk, which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback , wine upon arrival especially from the Hotel Manager is pretty great! I appreciate you taking the time to write, and we will certainly pass on the praise to the team . The hotel is definitely convenient to so many places of interest and that makes being here easy, fun and relaxing. Please keep me as your contact for any future visits, it would be my pleasure help set up your reservations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Garland
#13 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!