“Worst Service Ever!”

Rodeway Inn near Venice Beach
Ranked #294 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Rodeway Inn was the worst hotel I have stayed in. The parking lot is almost inaccessible and there is no guaranteed guest parking. I had to park on the street and ending up with a $60 ticket because it was a day the street sweepers come. The hotel did not give us a courtesy warning about the parking rules and did not offer an compensation for the ticket. The rooms were not remodeled professionally and the bathroom walls were water stained and dingy. The grounds appeared to be kept until you look under the staircases to find piled up trash and dirty and grease. The laundry room was deplorable and the housekeeping staff uses it as well. I found myself having to drive down the street to do my laundry because housekeeping left towels strung about the small 1 washer 1 dryer closet. The floors and trash inside the laundry room would leave me to believe that any housekeeper that does laundry in such filthy conditions has no real dedication to their profession and cares little for the pride one feeling when you do your job to its fullest. The front office staff were in personable and the continental breakfast was a mere honey bun in a wrapper, a pitcher of warm OJ and fresh brewed coffee from an unsanitary coffee machine. The price for this luxurious stay was $450 for only 3 nights. I could go on with more examples cheap harsh towels, green, slimy fountain water, moldy window seals and zero customer service.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Charline17

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My partner and I are on holiday from Australia, we found this place through an Internet search .. We had a few places we were deciding between, we basically just wanted a clean room with a comfy bed to rest up after long days of sightseeing and driving. We thought it looked pretty nice from outside so we went in to see what deals we could get.. Offered $89 + taxes!! When we turned it down and walked out the office guy yelled out ill do you a deal, we are very felxiable. So we checked out a couple more places but with only smoking rooms available we decided to give rodeway inn a go.. The deal we got wasn't outstanding $80 + taxes which is better than nothing..
Go to out room number.. Room was dirty, sheets everywhere! Hadn't even been cleaned so we demanded another room ( I already had a bad feeling about this place)
We got showen to another room, had to squeeze past cleaners trolly and vacuum parked outside our door, room was dark, damp and smelt weird!! Had no sunlight either.. My partner and I looked at each other and thought mmmm! So then I went to the loo and it wasn't even attached to the floor and moved every time I sat on it! The bathroom didn't seem clean.. 1 soap and 1 shampoo.. I felt dirtier once I had showered than I had before!!
Then there was the bed!! Omg, sheets felt like the had sand in them or dirty from last person.. Making me feel sick now, can't believe we slept there!! And the pillows were so skinny and all bumpy!! Terribly sore necks for the next week!
Oh so I thought I would see what was for breakfast... Brown toast with only marmalade!! ( now how common is marmalade of all toast toppings!!) no plates! And the only other option was Danishes that looked a year old,individually wrapped but yuk! I did have a coffee but no real milk just the powder. There was oj too.
So the next morning we decided we were going to ask for refund as we were planning on staying 5 nights!!!!
Lady was very understanding and although she offered us another room I said we would rather have refund, she didn't ague and we were on our way.. Never to return and no one else should either.. This place needs a major renovation

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Ping88
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Pros: very close to Venice Beach, there is a 99c store nearby, friendly staff, was fairly quiet for being spring break. The outside was grassy with lots of foliage; looked almost tropical. Cons: parking was tight, first thing I noticed as we walked into the room is it smelled a bit like urine. There was no shampoo, soap, etc. I had to ask the housekeeper for hand soap as I my own shampoo. When I got home, I noticed I was charged the extra $1.50 for the safe, which I did not ask for or use.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Letty O
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I spent six months in LA couch-surfing, motel-hopping and sometimes car-sleeping while finishing a job. It was a particularly crappy job with a crappy salary with which I could not land an apartment in the West LA area ... which ... nevermind, this is not my emo Livejournal ...

Anyway, the point is that I've stayed at many of the motels on this side of the 405 that are roughly under $100 a night that you can book online (there aren't a ton, and they are, shall we say, ECLECTIC) and in retrospect I am sad I took so long to give the Rodeway Inn Culver City a chance. Maybe I was dissuaded by the photos on Hotels.com, which included a lot of tube TV's, which to me usually says red flag - like maybe they also haven't discovered washing machines yet for cleaning linens.

One night when I was particular desperate for shelter I ended up here ... and it was such a pleasant surprise! The owners and management have done minor updates that have made a substantial difference since the Hotels.com pics (flat screens, DirecTV, microwaves and fridges in every room, granite bathroom counter tops, fresh paint). You can tell they care. And as motels go, the set up is actually really solid. I find the staff extremely friendly, reliable and accommodating, the price is right, I can park my car for free, there's free breakfast, and it is my go-to for West LA.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jxz_13
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place needs a phone call to the Department of Public Health. There was mold in the shower, and mold in the upper door frame. After seeing all the mold, we didn't want to touch anything, we just wanted to go to bed and get out of there the next day. Going to bed was even a challenge, stains in the bed sheets, hole in the comforter, the floor felt disgusting...it was just dirty. Then one of the neighbors was partying from 3AM to 6AM - I slept through it, but my friend didn't, When we complained, we were told that we should have notified them and they would have moved us to a different room. She basically said that it was all our fault for not contacting them - so no refunds, compensation, and not even an apology.

Awful experience here, I would much rather stay anywhere else. For the price I expected way more, and got way less.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank originalcopy
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This horrible motel was our only chance of getting a room in a fully booked strange L.A. night... Though the morning after me and my husband looked at each other and said: maybe it was better if we had slept in teh car. That would tell you all about the place. And teh price was very high too...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CamillaSad
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great value for your $! Fresh and clean. Great location with easy acess to LAX, freeway, Venice Beach, Santa Monica. Washington Blvd have a lot of restaurans for kinds of taste and price.
Verry friendly and helpful staff! Ive been a regular guest for manny years, and i will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Westside
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport
Extended Stay America - Los Ange...
#249 of 355 in Los Angeles
Venice
Jolly Roger Hotel
Jolly Roger Hotel
#10 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Rodeway Inn near Venice Beach? Share your experiences!