“Fair value for downtown Los Angeles”

Hotel Solaire Los Angeles
Ranked #175 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Diego
“Fair value for downtown Los Angeles”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The room was clean and comfortable for the price. Has Air con but would be better if it was a mini split unit instead of a window type floor unit which does not really circulate the air very well.
I would say that this is more like an upscale motel rather than a hotel.

Staff were pleasant and helpful,

Would i use the hotel again? I think it would depend more on where i want to be in Los Angels at the time.

The negative is that they do not have sufficient parking and on busy days this may be a problem.
Also the parking has no real security and is open to the street/

Room Tip: Ask to be placed at the rear of the property
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed here three nights (two beds, four adults), and it was fine. It is a very basic hotel, but it was clean, quiet, and all my interactions at the front desk went well. It's better than a Motel 6, for comparison's sake, and probably about the same price. Comes with a fridge for beer and leftovers, so points for that.

It's a primarily Hispanic neighborhood and a lot like Mission Street in San Francisco, for Bay Area reference. It is not amid primary tourist attractions, and a nearby liquor store is probably your biggest amenity. But it is very near the MacArthur Park/Westlake Metro station (red and purple lines), which goes straight into Hollywood and Koreatown. I also liked how central it was to things I was doing (downtown, K-town, Dodger Stadium, Echo Park).

Parking in their lot is $4 a day. I'd stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room with a balcony if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tara H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Very disappointed, Overall housekeeping staff friendly. I am VERY STRESSED out. In my 20 day stay I have had two inicidents with the hotel "over" authorizing my credit card for excess amounts totalling 400.00. Still trying to figure out where another approx 150.00 is? I called my bank card and theyre telling me they are waiting for hotel to send info asking for it to be reversed back off my card. I have had two conversations with GM and I am not very happy at all. Checking out today to find hotel that will not tie my money up in authorizations. You would think after staying there so long... their would be some loyalty on there part????
I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN...NOR RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE I KNOW,
Maybe you dont care, Hotel Solaire, but lots of people read these and other online reviews,
Also, I feel very deceived. Why would any front desk clerk take home my personal info. I had written down my info..gave to clerk to fax... and no one now knows where it is?? Think I will prolly cancel this credit card all together. Having trust issues

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul H

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We arrived at around 8 pm to our hotel and were dismayed at the location of the hotel, and the lack of amenities in the surrounding area. There was no room service in the hotel and the outdoor swimming pool appeared dirty.

On our way to the hotel the taxi driver asked why we were staying in the hotel as it was far away from the centre and he advised that we were better off paying a bit extra and staying somewhere nice. When we got there we knew why he said this!

At night it was incredibly noisy, being close to a hospital. We were also awoken by a lady in the room next door wailing all night and banging furniture. Another night we were awoken by fellow guests having a party to the early hours.

We stayed for three nights. One morning we overheard a guest ask to be moved rooms due to the noise at night; so we were not the only guests to be awoken during the night.

The breakfast was incredibly basic - the breakfast area was small and at peak times there was no room for guests to sit. Breakfast was continental style and served in paper plates and bowls.

Overall, despite it being a good price, we would not advise staying at this hotel. Although the staff were friendly, the amenities, general location and food at the hotel was very poor. I would recommend paying a little more and staying somewhere decent.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Globe T
Comfort1710, General Manager at Hotel Solaire Los Angeles, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your candid review of the hotel. We apologize that your stay was not to your satisfaction. While we are happy to know that our staff was friendly throughout your stay, we are sorry that you found room for improvement. If you would like to voice your thoughts and talk about your experience, please contact our team at info@hotelsolaire.com.
Monterey, California
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel had a friendly staff, was clean and overall just fine for a inexpensive hotel in Los Angeles. The beds were very comfortable. The neighborhood was a bit iffy but we were working every day so it didn't matter to us. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We liked our room with a balcony....the cost is extra but we got bumped up to this room so there was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Comfort1710, General Manager at Hotel Solaire Los Angeles, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for the thoughtful review. We are ready to provide you with comfort and service during your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed in this holt March 2014 with a friend. As 2 young females we did feel unsafe in the location, this is a much poorer part of town and this is evident with the people and state of the streets here. Overall the hotel was good, service was great, staff very helpful and the rooms were clean. The hotel is a little dated and could do with updating but clean which is the main thing. The room walls are thin which means we got a fairly poor 3 nights sleep as you can hear every movement outside and In the rooms either side of you. I suppose you get what you pay for and that is the case for this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We take pride in keeping our hotel clean and friendly and in being helpful to all of our guests. We look forward to being your hotel of choice during your next trip.
Atascadero, California
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We took a group of developmentally disabled adults to a Laker's game the same weekend as the Academy Awards, so were limited on hotel choices. I was not familiar with this hotel or its location, The hotel looked nice in the pics, and it was a nicely, refurbished facility. What we couldn't see in the pic was the neighborhood, which I later found out, had a terrible reputation for crime. This was confirmed by the constant stream of sirens all night long.

On a positive note, the hotel, itself, was nice - trying to be a "green" hotel - I can appreciate that. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient - amazing ladies at the front desk. The continental breakfast was adequate and always kept stocked.

On a negative note, the only handicap room had a single, queen-sized bed, which didn't work for our client. Also, the doorways in the regular rooms were so narrow that our guest with a walker couldn't fit through. :(

All-in-all, it was a positive stay. Hotel Solaire is like a pleasant oasis in a sketchy place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ellengruetz
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff strives to be efficient and welcoming for all over our guests. We enjoy providing our guests with a friendly face at the front desk and a hearty continental breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again.