“Now a Holiday Inn Express & Suites!”

Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
Ranked #144 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Was a little wary on booking at this hotel but overall it was better than I expected! This newly refreshed Holiday Inn Express & Suites is a BIG improvement over the Ramada Limited it used to be. Heard from management that this was a multi-million renovation and you can tell!

Easy to find with a GPS - area is a typical Los Angeles area, you have you good and bads. Did not have a problem with safety at this property like a couple people have mentioned in previous reviews. Front Desk was a little confused on how to do a couple things at check in but that is understandable as they just opened and going from Ramada to a IHG hotel is a complete change. Asked for directions and recommendations and they were spot on ready to help. A plus is parking is free here!

Rooms were very nice - I'm even thinking about getting the wallpaper in my own house. Very modern and very new. Had a room right by the elevator but never heard it and never heard any doors slamming. However, I will make a note to management that the the hotel could use some attention to details. The windows at the end of the hallway had paint from the exterior splattered on them, baseboards and walls have knicks from what looks like the furniture, carpets on the outside of the elevator are worn and getting a little dirty, and in the bathroom of the room I was in the faucet holes were too big for the actual fixture. Nothing big but overtime could cause some ware. Cool feature is that this hotel has new keylocks where you slide the key over the reader on the doorknob - thought it was pretty neat.

Breakfast, unlike other Holiday Inn Express properties, did not have the pancake machine. Wanted to try that out - but I am sure they will soon get one. Standard breakfast as expected. Tip for the breakfast lady is that to get a new tray for the bacon - the dish the bacon is put in does not do anything about the puddle of grease it soaks in.

Definitely recommend giving this hotel a shot. About a 20 minute drive to The Grove and there was a beautiful park - rare to find in LA - about 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Justin K

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We booked an overnighter here and the hotel is in the middle of a very seedy part of town. It was under construction and when we got there all they had was a smoking room. It appears that their websit defaults to smoking room as preference. They were unable or unwilling to give us a non smoking room when we got there. They would also not refund our money or give us a credit toward another stay. We will not stay at a Ramada again

Room Tip: If you must punish yourself by staying at this hotel, make sure you select non smoking room if booki...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miker023
Reviewed October 24, 2010

For downtown Los Angeles, this was an okay hotel in accordance with the cost. The check-in service was great. When we acquired about local sites, the representative was able to give us menus and printed a map from the computer that gave us directions to a specific address--she really went out of the way. At the check-in, there were free granola bars, hard candies, coffee, and apples. Parking was free and I felt safe where we parked. As to cleanliness, there was nothing noted out of the ordinary; seemed clean. Room/bathroom had typical amenities. With the AAA discount, price was good, especially to be only about 7 minutes away from Staples Center, Nokia, etc. Sleep quality was satisfactory. The rating of the location depends on the type of person you are. I respect all cultures and am not afraid to mingle with people so I felt comfortable walking to the nearby Yoshinoya and Jack in the Box. With that being said, you will see graffiti and there are street vendors selling items on the street near (but not in front of) the hotel. There is a continental breakfast that I can't complain about due to the cost of the hotel. The breakfast consisted of cereal (4 to choose from), fruit cocktail, waffles, toast, boiled eggs, juice, coffee, apples, cup of noodles....I believe that's all. So.....nice hotel for quality and value. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank jaelindsey
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I just stayed at this hotel with a couple of friends through booking from Priceline. When we checked in, the lady was kind and we headed to our room. The following morning, my friend goes down for continental breakfast and mentions about the two of us in which Jorge (horrible customer service clerk) states that because there are 3 people we have to be charged an ADDITIONAL 10 bulks. I was so furious that because the lady didnt tell us in the beginning we felt that it was on the hotel's mistake not us. Unfortunately, because Jorge would not provide us with a supervisor on the premise and would not honor the request, we are going to have to complain the following day to reach the supervisor on Monday. It's very unfortunate that this hotel could have handled it with more professionalism. And it is very unfortunate that we will not be coming here EVER.

If you want quality service, don't go here!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank ianjoel
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Our stay at this hotel was a horrible experience from beginning to end. When we arrived at check-in, the desk associate by the name of Monica made check-in the most difficult of situations. We had a pre-paid reservation in hand, which stated we had requested a non-smoking room. Monica informed us that we were in the computer for a smoking room and that she could not do anything to change it. She then handed us the keys to this smoking room. When we arrived at the room, the room had not yet been cleaned (beds un-made,trash in waste baskets). This was very upsetting, check in for this hotel is 2pm, we arrived at the hotel @4:15pm. I then went back down stairs only to have her inform us that we had to wait 20-30 minutes for the room to be cleaned. My husband and I waited in the lobby for almost 10 minutes, the I began to question her because the hotel looked as though it was empty. I asked why we just couldn't have another room. She responded that it was because I was rude to her. She then checked the computer, and gave us another room. When we arrived at room #2 this room was un-cleaned as well. When I got down to the desk and explained to her, her excuse was that the cleaning woman was late that day, no apology. The then gave me a 3rd room key for the room that we ultimately stayed in. After a long flight you can imagine this was very fustrating. Especially since I was informed that the manager was not present and would not available until Monday 8/31.
If that wasn't enough, the next incident occured the very next evening. Monica was on duty. The iron in our room took 10 minutes to heat and when it did, water was draining from the bottom of the iron onto our clothing. I called down to the desk and asked Monica for an iron. She told me no problem and that she would take care of it. I waited for 20 minutes with no response, so finally I went down to the lobby. I asked her what the status was on our iron and she stated that unfortunately she was the only one there and that she could probably get me an iron in the morning. I asked her why she didn't tell me that over the phone and why she had me under the impression that we would soon be recieving an iron. We needed the iron because we were on our way out to celebrate by husband's birthday and could not wait until morning. She then called the security guard to assist by getting another iron from one of the other rooms. This gentleman was extremely helpful and pleasant.The next morning I went down and informed the desk manager of all that had occurred. She wrote down the information that I had given her and told me that she would get Monica's side and she would get back with me. She was apologetic at that point in time, but that changed. We left the hotel overnight, but returned on the evening of 9/1. When we checked out the next morning, I had asked the desk associate for a reciept or a copy of the credit card inprint that they took at the time of checkin for my records. She informed me that there was no reciept because we had a pre-paid reservation. I again asked for the desk manager. She can out and she told the associate that it was okay to give a copy of the inprint. She also gave me an update of the situation with Monica. This time she was not apologetic and stated that the only reason why I was inconvienced was because there was an error in the computer as far as the rooms being noted as cleaned. That was the only thing that she addressed. My husband and I have stayed at numerous hotels over the years. We have never had such a horrible experience and been treated so badly at any of the hotels we've ever stayed in. I have never wrote hotel review or commented on my stay after a hotel stay, but this situation was totally necessary.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank teedy9380
Reviewed August 19, 2009

This hotel is expensive and the online description does not absolutely describe the reality. It looks old, filthy, unsafe, the internet connection sucks. The area looks very dangerous and I dont want to go out by night. It is far from the attractions it advertises. There's nowhere to to go out not even for dinner. Pawn shops and second hand shops are the surrounding places.
I cant belive I'm spending my money here. Have some self-respect and look for a different area. Everything around here will be about the same.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank GabyBick
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Please if you value your life, do not stay here..Go elsewhere,save the extra money whatever, it's DANGEROUS..and should come with a warning !!! Very scary location. We were up all night watching drug busts etc....Can't go to eat anywhere because it's so unsafe.We had to call the front desk 3 times to make certain the front door was closed..We put furniture in front of our door and stayed up all night ...No we are not paranoid pussys !!! It's just plain " Horrible" Some of the staff was nice,bit of a language barrier..If they supplied me with mace, and a gun,i still wouldn't stay. We had a meeting at the Consulate downtown the next morning.we were so tired from the nights events it made it very hard to concentrate..Would love my money and nerves back!!! Hey,if you want to experience the pounding sound of Police Helicopters,sirens,drunks screaming, go for it but again,bring the pepper spray and weapons...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business