“worst lighting of any hotel room”

Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport
Ranked #239 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Ithaca, New York, United States
“worst lighting of any hotel room”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Daytime not bad window lighting, but awful out-dated cheap knock-off of knock-off lamps with harsh fluorescent bulbs with a green-yellow tinge. No shampoo or lotion, just bar soaps. A faint urine odor persisted near the bed, but couldn't locate it exactly. Windows were very tight and stiff and required a Herculean effort to open. Staff were all nice and friendly. At night, I had to arrange the blackout curtains perfectly so that the screechy self-storage security street lights next door didn't wake me up all night. Even then, there were at least 3 or 4 gadgets like smoke detectors and such that had little bright indicator lights that glowed through the night - they could have been placed better. Bathtub faucet dripped. Water filter on the kitchen tap was a nice touch though. Utensil drawer was scary and unevenly stocked. No closet, just a corner area with the cheapest possible wire rack with 3 (three) hangers on it! Also, many hotels should stop using the magnetic cards with the Pizza Hut ad on them, because I always think that the pointy red hat indicates the direction of the card placement on the door lock!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a different room right away before investing too much time unpacking.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you did not completely enjoy your stay here with us. In response to your feedback, I am pleased to let you know that the hotel will be going through a full upgrade late April to early July of this year. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate honest and helpful suggestions. I invite you to contact me at lax@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I wanted to book a room in the LA area for less than $75 so I went on Hotwire and booked the two star room that was $72 ($90 after taxes and Hotwire fees) despite the fact that only 50% of the people on Hotwire would recommend it. I was expecting a dump based on the reviews and I was pleasantly surprised. Any hotel that has a full kitchen, free internet, free continental and free parking I tend to give more weight to. Most "high quality" hotels charge for parking and internet and do not offer a breakfast. And those same "high quality" hotels charge an arm and a leg and get great reviews while the budget hotels do not over charge for these items and they get bad reviews. This hotel does not have frills. There is no shampoo and no body soap but there is hand soap without a soap dish. There is a full kitchen with dishes and silverware, a very small breakfast. I do not think they clean daily if you stay 2-6 nights but you can exchange your towels at the front. In all I have to weight the price with the quality. If I had paid this price in some cities I would expect full service. Since I am in LA, I cannot expect the best if I am only paying $90. I would recommend this place as long as the total does not go over $90 per night.

Room Tip: The breakfast is very small but it will keep you from starving! They do not provide shampoo or any e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melanierich12
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

As one very unhelpful lady at the front desk said, " Uh, sorry, this is a no-frills Extended Stay." She wasn't kidding. This place is not only no frills amenities-wise. The staff has quite the no-frills, hands-off attitude as well.

Upon arrival, the lobby smelled due to the adjacent trash room. The staff was very rude too. I wasn't greeted or even acknowledged when I walked up to the front desk. I arrived at 4:00, one hour after check-in begins, yet I had to wait 40 minutes while my room was being cleaned up. It's true this hotel is inexpensive compared to some other hotels in the area, but it's still costly enough where customers shouldn't be made to waste the time they are paying for.

At one point, I asked the same unhelpful lady if there was any herbal tea available. She said she might have one in her purse but otherwise no--a strange and unprofessional response. The next morning, guess what, there was tea downstairs.

Customer service is in the details and the staff here obviously doesn't understand that. If you are looking for a reasonably priced room with a full-sized kitchen, this is an adequate option. Be prepared when you get here though. You might start to miss those "frills" pretty quick, like, oh I don't know, eye contact from the staff. If you want good service, you'll have to pay for it elsewhere.

One more thing: the facility is a bit old and I found an odd stain beneath my coffee maker.

Room Tip: If you're going to cook, be careful. The smoke alarms are super sensitive.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fernandita4
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had to wait for your room upon check in and that my staff and I did not do more to make it right. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being retrained in customer service so that we go above and beyond each time. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at lax@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Great room (really a studio apartment) with separate kitchen area, roomy (although open) closet, nice furniture including desk in addition to small dining table, very comfy large soft reading chair and huge ottoman, great queen size pillow top bed, perfectly placed wall lamps for all of the above mentioned places.

As I write this I realize how well thought out this hotel is. I have to hand it to whoever built this place. (I know from my review it sounds like I must be that guy, but honestly I'm just a customer and paying full price - which did I mention is incredibly reasonable.)

Not exactly a picturesque location. I have a room facing the 405 freeway but I can only hear it if I open the window (which actually opens wide enough to be useful!). The only other downside is the wall mounted heater / air conditioner which is a little noisy - but only in comparison to 4 and 5 star hotels.

Room Tip: Next time I would ask for a south facing room on the west end of the building on the 3rd or 4th floo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that we were able to meet your travel needs and that you took advantage of our being freeway accessible. How convenient is it that we are in a great location close to many everyday routine needs: Freeways, schools, Churches, Shopping Centers, Movies Theaters, Beaches, Hospitals and Grocery Stores Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent corporate apartment alternative. Maid service, kitchen, wifi, cable TV and on. Staff is always pleasant and helpful. Easy freeway access (important in Los Angeles). Walk to next door coffee shop.

Room Tip: Easy airport access without planes flying overhead. Lots of restaurants nearby.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that we provided you with a pleasant stay while you were with us. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

hotel was clean, newly remolded and a great staff. Only about 10 minutes from the air port and close to two shopping malls Westfield Culver City and Howard Hughes. Both malls have great restaurant 5 minutes away. They have a grab n go breakfast with coffee, oat meal, granola bars, muffins and fruit. They have a diner next door, we had a good meal and just walked next door. Free parking I will definitely make this my regular hotel for business or vacation when in the LA area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jamielee703
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am so pleased that you took advantage of our New Grab N Go breakfast. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Sanger, Texas
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have reviewed this hotel already once before. It was a good stay then, and a good stay this past time.

I recently did a large project in Beverly Hills, and the hotel was far enough from work, yet close enough to work, that it was a great location. Easy freeway access, close to the marina and water, also close enough to a lot of places to eat.

As in my previous review, I really want to commend Michelle and her staff on such excellent service. This can be a very busy hotel, and the degree of personal service is just great.

I have read other reviews of the place and yes, the car park can get rather full, but there is always room on the rear of the property and rather easy entry there. I do agree, the 'trash' rooms can get out of hand and perhaps some type of air freshner, and a good cleaning once a week would help.
Finally, I know the grab and go breakfast is a comp, but if someone could insure that it is out by 6am as advertised that would be great. It does help that 7-11 is close and you can get coffee there in a rush in the morning.

Other than that, in Los Angeles, it is nice to not have to pay for parking, to have a really good feeling that your car will be where you left it when you come out in the morning, as well as in one piece. To have a staff that greats you warmly when you come in the lobby, as well as when you leave.

With all that in mind, this is not a Hilton Resort, nor does it cost like one, and you get to park for free. However, don't expect the same perks you would get in a 5 star resort. If you want that, go pay for it.

This is a nice property, great for a long term stay. Between my two visits I spent almost 4 months here.

One last thing, Friday night at Dinah's next door is prime rib special for under 20.00. Good deal if you want to fill up.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pierce G
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you understand our concept and our structure. Thank you again for your comments and will keep in mind all your helpful tips that will improve our customer satisfaction. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport - El Segundo
Travelodge Culver City
Travelodge Culver City
#4 of 8 in Culver City

Been to Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport? Share your experiences!