“Fantastic Overnight Stay”

Ranked #117 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic Overnight Stay”
Reviewed May 24, 2008

My flight arrived into LAX late causing me to miss the last flight out to SFO. I called the La Quinta and got a good price for a room. I was pleasantly surprised at everything I encountered. The professionalism of the staff, the quick & free shuttle service and the modern immaculate room were all above par.

I have read other reviews about the breakfast, stating there was eggs and meat There was none of that when I was there. The breakfast consisted of waffles, toast, bagels, cereals, milk, juice, coffee and tea. Nothing special, but enough to get you going before heading off to LAX.

I would definitely stay there again, and recommend it to friends as an excellent inexpensive layover at LAX

• Liked — price, convenience, proximity to LAX, cleanliness
  • Disliked — The breakfast didn't quite live up to all the other standards
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank acsfoguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We spent our first night here as we arrived at LAX late and were taking an internal flight in the morning. There is a free shuttle bus to and from the airport every 15 minutes or so which was very handy.

The website boasts a 7.5 million dollar renovation but most of it seems to be on the surface and cosmetic and to be honest looks a bit slapdash. The bed was comfortable but our room overlooked a busy street and the traffic is noisy (not such a problem for us as we kept the aircon on and the hum drowned out most of the noise but it may be an issue if you’re a light sleeper). Looking at some of the other reviews, it may be best to ask for a room that doesn’t face onto the road.

The lobby area is very nice and there is complimentary breakfast – cereal, toast, fruit juice, apples, waffles and pastries. There is a small fitness room with four pieces of equipment and a pool (it has limited hours and was closed when we looked but it’s still a nice touch for a basic airport hotel – it’s likely to be noisy though as it faces the street).

On the whole, it’s a no-frills, clean and tidy hotel and we would have no reservation in staying there again for a layover, especially as the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Que
Queens, NY
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Rooms are small but cleanliness can make-up for this. I guess recession has affected the free breakfast. There are less choices from two months ago. The meat items were conspicuously absent. Overall I still find this hotel OK.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank kalayka
La Verne, California
Reviewed May 11, 2008

Rented a one bedroom suite... The bedroom was decent size. Clean room and bathrooms. Large livingroom with flat screen TV. The loveseat made into a bed.. Thought it was sorta funny though . The bed was very small. Just for one person. Smaller than a twin bed. They should have a full size sofa sleeper I think..The suite had 2 bathrooms. These was great for getting ready for an early morning flight. The check in was easy and fast. We left our vehicle parked in their covered parking during our trip. The charge was $15.00 per day. During your stay they charge you, I believe $12.00 per day. We left really early in the morning so we didn't eat their free breakfast. The shuttle was very fast. It is partnered with a couple other hotels. La Quinta is the last pick up, so that is good for getting to the airport fast. The driver was very helpful with luggage. When we returned from our trip just went to the hotel shuttle spot and we were picked up and dropped off at the La Quinta again. We did arrive around 11:00 P.M., so there was no parking attandant to pay. We had to pay at the front desk. That was alittle bit of a pain as there were alot of people checking in, which made the wait sorta long. I just wanted to get the car and get home. Overall we will stay again when we have an early morning flight. Great location by the airport.. PS.. I thought it was quiet too

• Liked — Close to Airport with free shuttle drop off & pickup
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dodgergirl
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed May 10, 2008

I stayed here for several days during a recent vacation in LA. For the price we paid through Priceline, I don't feel like my friend and I received a bad deal at all. The room was ready for us when we checked in around 3 or 4pm and everything in the room was clean. The room was a bit small and not particularly well-stocked but again, based on the price, it wasn't anything we couldn't overlook.

Pros:
Close to several fast food restaurants, which is nice when it is late and you are looking for cheap eats. Decent breakfast buffet from 6am to 9am each morning. Close to the 405 highway and to many of the rental car offices, gas stations and LAX. Rooms have a hair dryer, microwave and refrigerator. There is a gift shop on the property that sells snacks, drinks, medications, magazines, etc.

Cons:
The parking situation is a pain. It is $12 a day for guests but in order to get into and out of the lot, you have to use pain in the neck parking stubs. And there is a prominent sign that warns if you lose your parking stub, you are facing a $200+ fine. To me, that seems rather harsh and we had to spend our time in LA paranoid that we had possession of the parking stub all at times. To leave, you must stop at the desk and have the clerk validate your parking. When there is a long line, this is particularly maddening. One afternoon, we had to wait 30 minutes behind a huge church group of people who were checking into the hotel one at a time. One clerk was working with these people while the other clerk was talking on the phone. All this waiting to simply have a parking stub validated seemed rather needless.

There were times at night when noise became a major factor. Surprisingly, there wasn't much noise coming from the airplanes but there seemed to be quite a few guests making noise at all hours. A party of drunks knocked on our door at 2am each night that we were there and one night, we had to roll towels under the door to block out the smell of cigarette smoke and burnt food. These elements are not the fault of the hotel, but are things you should be aware of if you stay there. Bringing earplugs may not be a bad idea if you need a good night's sleep.

All things considered, if you are able to negotiate a good price to stay here and are seeing LA on a tight budget (as we were), this is a good place to add to your hotel list.

• Liked — Good price
  • Disliked — Aggravating parking situation
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank sc121980
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed May 9, 2008

My husband's family and I stayed at this hotel for two nights this past weekend. The hotel decor is relatively modern and all three rooms occupied by us were clean and comfortable (parents had a suite, two children had double/king bed rooms). The suite which was on the airport side of the hotel had a great view of planes landing and taking off and was not at all noisy. However, the other two rooms overlooked the street, and even from the ninth floor, the street noise could be heard.

The hotel staff was friendly though not necessarily helpful. They refused to honor the price they quoted me by phone when I made the reservation several months earlier, and it took two requests (several hours apart) before I finally could have a crib delivered to our room for my infant daughter (crib was not one I would ever use of my own choosing either!). They also charged my in-laws $4 for a phone call to a pizza place right down the road (though they ultimately removed it).

The breakfast buffet was sub-par. Not even an extensive selection of fresh pastries was offered as at most budget hotels! In fact, we ended up going to McDonald's the second morning.

We have stayed the Hampton Inn right down the road on several prior visits so we obviously had that as our frame of reference when staying here. It just didn't match up! We may be willing to splurge the extra few bucks next time and head back to the Hampton.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Monaco
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Considering the rate we paid, and the accomodation we got, that was a fair deal. Breakfast is for free and above average. If you look for a great family friendly hotel near LAX, this one is surely a good one. Only minus: the pool, quite cold and noisy!

• Liked — Rates
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Monaco_Traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Holiday Inn Los Angeles International Airport
Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl
Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites LAX? Share your experiences!