“Comfortable beds, large and quiet rooms”

Hilton Los Angeles Airport
Ranked #94 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We'd last stayed here about 6 years earlier. Rooms are large (room with King size bed had lots of floor space, which was great for spreading out the many bags we had after a long trip) and comfortable and quiet (heard no airplane noise whatsoever, though we could see lines of planes approaching the airport from our window). When we had minor problems with the heating/air condtiioning, and, later, with the room safe (latter was our fault;we'd put too much in it), technicians came quickly after we called the front desk. We had food and drinks at the bar; not cheap, but prices were still reasonable. We left off our rental car at the nearby Avis location so didn't have to pay the large parking fee. Wi-Fi was $12.95. Best thing about the hotel, as with other Hiltons, is the bed: super comortable mattresses my wife rates as her favorites. Better than at other Hilton brand hotels (e.g., Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn).

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for night after our delayed arrival from Fiji. This means it was payed by the airline.

We got a little diner when we got there and breakfast in the morning.

The room was spacious and comfortable. Everything was clean as it should be for such hotels.

Overall a nice experience after backpacking for month.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

After a very long flight it was great to have a friendly shuttle driver and the service got even better with the main hotel staff. Room was very comfortable although came as a bit of shock that there was no free wifi. Had a very nice meal in the bistro. Being a smoker it was a pleasant suprise that they have nice smoking areas within the hotel . Only had a five minute wait for the shuttle early next morning to continue out trip from Lax . Will definitely stay again next time we pass through Lax .

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2013

10+ stays later at this property. A few things are consistent.

1. The room will have a bed in it. Sometimes nice. Sometimes not.
2. You are almost always permitted early check-in.
3. The front desk will smile whether real or not.
4. The valets will always love themselves.
5. You will always hear your neighbors
6. You will always hear the 4-6 AM airport rush in the halls.
7. You will carry your own bags in and out.

Almost anything else is subject to chance and variation.

This trip the lobby was inundated with oddly dressed psuedo-prophetic new wave types selling their adventures and misadventures upon their targets - persons over 500 lbs with issues of body and mind - and their "trade show" backed it way into the common elevator area to where their trade show was essentially blocking elevator access to the rooms at times.

While dragging our bags toward the lift. The housekeeping staff were nice enough to PUSH THE CLOSED button on us to avoid our getting into the lift with them, notwithstanding our asking "Please hold it - Please hold it". The two housekeeping staff were without their carts and in the midst of a serious chat in Spanish and no customer had ought to have the right to share the VIP maid lift with them !!!! Customers are such a hassle. On payday the magical money tree pays them - not guest revenues.

Moving along. About an hour later in the room. The maid does a 1 second knock and forced door open while we are trying to sleep -- I jump into pants quickly and tell her to go away to avoid an embarassing moment. Again, 3 second - 5 second knocks are not acceptability-- 1 second and forced open. Saying house keeping as your opening the door.

Now that I was up, I wondered what the sexual noises were outside in the hallway---- it was my neighbors..... perhaps they had found their spiritual light in the new age show downstairs but with the nice thin doors -- all guest were given the free audio entertainment..

Continuing on---- while the outside temperature was in the 50's-- the room couldn't get below 79 -- while the creaking noises from the ceiling and wall mechanical continued.... No reason to guess where the sounds come from--- just plain a noisy mechanical hotel.

Engineerin... caugh caugh.. came up to reset the unit and get it able to made the room a normal temperature......

Next around 3 am-- the room smells like cigarette smoke.... the smell of cigarette is coming through a bathroom vent..... Nice!!! These non-smoking properties are great--- I wonder if they ever bill those 250-300 dollar fines for smoking at all.... and with the great building design.. I get to enjoy the smoke smell in my room-- FREE OF CHARGE !!!

I try to get back to sleep again... now 4 AM--- hallway screams.... It continues.. it's the morning rush and everyone is free ranging their children----- you need to let them scream in the hallway because you might stifle their artistic edge, free spirit, and creativity otherwise... thus let them wake everyone up..... and let it go on for 15 minutes? Nope. 20 minutes?Nope.. 30 minutes-- 30 whole minutes of hallway screams...

By 5am to 6 am it was the regular airport rush and the noise associated therewith.....

Add onto this the overpriced internet ---- Some hotels charge internet.. it's our job to say no to the scam but feeling week and just off international routing-- I let it happen...... OF COURSE, I figured that I would get internet

Test Results off of LA and NY test servers:

max down - 300 kbps
max up 80 kbps
SKYPE - cannot have a conversation
VOIP - cannot have a conversation.

I tried to find the inner zen and not call downstairs to claim, but finally gave up with the other problems and told the manager I would refuse the charge and he wiped it.

The morning of check-out I called down to the duty manager ( a different one this time) and told him to pick up a pen and a piece of piper and get ready to write. I gave him this list above. He asked how he could help.. and I told him I did not want a hand-out to soften the issues.

NOW. Would I stay here again.... YES.. but not necessarily on purpose. There are so hotels that pretend to list at 3.5 - 4.0 stars around LAX that you can find many many deals at under 100 dollar a night...at that rate... I ACCEPT THE BROKEN.

I ACCEPT THE WARPED BED WITH METAL EDGES
I ACCEPT THE MAIDS CLOSING THAT LIFT
I ACCEPT SMOKE SMELLS IN THE NIGHT
I ACCEPT THE HALL SCREAMS ALL MORNING
I ACCEPT THE MAJESTY OF THE ALMIGHTY VALETS

Beause the price is right.... and that offsets most things..... Had I paid rack rate, I would have had corporate on the phone... but at the rates they are discounting, you just accept what you get and move along.... afterall its a transit oriented hotel.... not one for a holiday/business.

My true star rating would be 3.0 - 3.5 varying trip to trip. Over the years, this property has never been a 4.0 in my opinion... never.

Room Tip: Those with working HVAC are better than those without.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed here often and will do so again. Easy access with shuttle service to the airport. Clean and open lobby. Staff is always courteous and responsive to my requests.
The rooms are well appointed for the business traveler. The usual noise from the airport was muted and did not bother my aleep. Room service was received quickly and was done well.
The concierge level guest reception was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

$27 a day to park, no validation, overpriced breakfast for only average quality food, $12.50 a day for WiFi. Long wait at bar. Congested parking. Musty smelling rooms. Pleasant employees, clean rooms, quiet. But, not worth the price for what you get.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was here for the Gallifrey One convention held at the Marriott next door. The room was spacious and clean. The free breakfast coupon was good for the cafe, that had a buffet with a variety of cold cuts, juices, oatmeal, danishes, eggs, fruit, oatmeal, and a fresh entree (that weren't great) like waffles or french toast. They had a small fast food style restaurant with made to order pizza, hamburgers, and coffee drinks. There was a bar, but I didn't visit it. The room service menu was varied, and even had late night offerings.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
HiltonLAX, Guest Experiences at Hilton Los Angeles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Hi Nicole S,

Thanks for the great review! Hope you enjoyed the convention, and maybe we'll see you next time you're in town. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Tim Gilmour