“Terrible place to stay!”

Best Western Woodland Hills Inn
Ranked #86 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Paco de Arcos, Portugal
“Terrible place to stay!”
Reviewed April 18, 2006

I stayed at this place one night because I got to Los Angeles after a trip on coastal California one day prior to what I had planned and all the other places were fully booked. Only reading tripadvisor I realized it belonged to the Best Western chain!
This is a motel like the ones I am used to see at the movies, scary like some other reviewer called it. It has no confort at all, you are charged for the rooom at check in and I found out later they charged my credit card $10 for calls I never made. I was asked at check in if I intended to do any calls and I answered that I didn't know if I needed to call my friend who lived in LA. I did no calls but I was charged anyway and 10 bucks!
The rooms are awful, dated, worn, stains on the carpet ,with the bathroom sink inside the room. I felt very insecure and unsafe in the room ,which was on the back of the building and had to climb some stairs to take my luggage.
The reception is a balcony and nothing else. They don't serve any breakfast. I also didn't like its location. Horrible neighbourwood!
I just saw the pictures in Expedia. Are we talking about the same place? The reception and rooms have nothing to do with the pictures they put on Expedia, please, don't go for it!!!!
An experience to be forgotten! Would never again stay in such an awful place!

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank astro50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We booked one of their newer rooms. They called them the "Preferred" rooms. They did a great job on their remodel. Simple, but nice. The microwave came in handy for a late night popcorn snack where we kicked up our feet on the sofa and coffee table.

There was some traffic noise on the nearby boulevard, but not enough to stop our sleep. They also have alot of cool restaurants nearby. For the price, the new rooms were excellent.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 24, 2006

This place was AWFUL. The sheets were starched and bleached to within an inch of their lives and the towels were small, threadbare and equally rough. There were no blankets in the room, only a thin cheap, polyester bedspread and sheet. The extra safety lock was missing from the door, so you could not lock the room from the inside such that you were sure that no one would enter. What else? It was light in the room in the middle of the night because of the super bright parking lot and inadequate window coverings. Noisy as hell, all night long. Avoid this place like the plague, we got barely any sleep at all. We had to pretty much block out the fact that we felt unsafe, uncomfortable and try to sleep through the noise. AWFUL. Go somewhere else, pay the extra money. You can't sleep at this place.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Garches, France
Reviewed September 15, 2005

Coming from France, we had been there in 1996 and had good memories of the rooms and the small pool (conveniently out of Ventura Bd). So we went back in 2005 and boom, it was "Back to the Past". Same carpeting, same A/C and a dilapidated feeling about the whole experience. So we just stayed 2 nights and decided to switch to the nearby Comfort Inn East on Ventura Bd. If Aku Aku was bad, the Comfort Inn was worst. So out of idea we went back to the Aku Aku and oh surprise they proposed us their brand new rooms for a small increase of price. And really, for 80 USD you can't complain : new furnitures, new A/C, large clean rooms, everything fine. Definitely not palace but a real good deal for L.A.

Next thing to do : renovate the pool and change the deckchairs !

• Stayed August 2005
Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
#50 of 351 in Los Angeles
The Anza Hotel
#1 of 3 in Calabasas

Been to Best Western Woodland Hills Inn? Share your experiences!