“Great Place in the Valley!”

Best Western Woodland Hills Inn
Ranked #78 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Northern Cali
“Great Place in the Valley!”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My Fiance's company has an office right in Warner Center and they transferred him down (from northern cali) to temporarily work for the Woodland Hills Office (stays in LA range from 3-5 days/week)

After much searching (there aren't many options in WH) and price checking (how the hilton can charge so much is beyond me...)

We decided he would stay at the Best Western (decision made for location and that there is a fridge and microwave in every room-his company is picking up the tab for the stay..but even if we were paying for it ourselves i would say its better than the overpriced hotels in warner center)

I visited him this past weeekend so i am writing the review on his behalf.

The rooms are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. the halls are clean clean clean, the lobby is clean clean clean (and cozy for that matter.)

it felt like i could take my shoes off and walk around (even though i would NEVER, haha)

the layout is nice. you park in front of your room. the bottom level is at street level-doors rigth off the parking lot, the upstairs rooms are along inside hallways.

The bathroom sink is out in the room, standard shower/tub and toilet with a door, even a full length mirror in the bathroom, score!

free wireless- just ask the lobby for an ethernet cable.

location: perfect right on ventura blvd. across the street are some excellent staples: Jerry's Famous Deli- a bit overpriced, but good eats, noahs bagels, jamba, coffee bean/tea leaf,western bagel, ralphs grocery store, rite-aid, starbucks subway, chipotle, blockbuster, gnc..and his personal favorite- California Pita for the FRO-YO!!!

whoever said they felt "unsafe" or it was "ghetto" has never spent a minute in San Fernando Valley. born and raised there i can definitely assure you that, while there may be a few homeless hanging around...its your typical valley neighborhood.

bottom line- for a business traveler, someone visiting family in the area or a quick get-away (they do have a pool..and the Topanga Plaza is outta this world for shopping...right around the corner-too far to walk though) it is SPOT ON...for $109/night...cheap! its def worth the visit. adn its so cute too!

• Liked — its was clean and new
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
Southern California
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Not wanting to battle the morning drive from Orange County to a prospective client meeting at Warner Center (the latter right up the street from this Best Western), I made a reservation at the Woodland Hills Inn for the night before.

The room's cleanliness and amenities were just as I expected: wonderful, once I got past the room's stuffiness (from the combination of the second floor and the heat that rose during the day) and turned on the air conditioning. If more than waffles, juice, cereal, and coffee are wanted at breakfast, go to one of the neighborhood restaurants on Ventura or—as I did—to the Whole Foods just four blocks east (at the northeastern corner of Canoga and Ventura).

P.S. While I express my apologies to the reviewer before me for what she experienced, I'd also be remiss as a veteran traveler if I didn't point out that some of it was preventable.

The first line of defense is to look over paperwork CAREFULLY before signing/initialing it at check-in. I've caught wrong in and out dates, wrong rates, or both on a few occasions over the years—and have rectified it on the spot. Then check it again first thing in the morning and resolve if needed.

The second line is that if any nonfood, nonmeltable items of nominal or higher value were purchased expressly for the vacation, leave it locked up in the cool part of the car. Retrieve then only when needed.

The third line is that if leaving the room for a few hours in the morning with an expected return around the time guests are checking out, make sure that "Do Not Disturb" or "Privacy, Please" sign is hanging or (in the case of this particular property) inserted into the keycard reader before departing for that short period. Even the least English-literate among the housekeeping staff can read those!

• Liked — Room cleanliness and refurbishment
  • Disliked — Internet access if without a computer—there's only ONE desktop in the breakfast room, providing no privacy in the mornings.
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I left the HOTEL to do some work, and when I came back in a few hours the maid was cleaning the room. I asked "what are you doing"? She said your gchecked out, its 11:30 and you checked out. (checkout time is 12:00). She then told me that the front desK told her that I had gone and she cleaned out my room and threw all my things away, I had 5 large candles I just bought for the Jacuzzi, clothes and a bowl full of mints and fruit!

When I asked WHY? THEY SAID, WE ARE NOT SURE why she threw them away, but we did not see them in the room,,, AND I TOLD THEM, I still need the room, she said I rented it to someone else! EVEN THOUGH I had a revervation for a week there.

I would never make a revervation or recommend this property to anyone else,, stay away from this property, they laughed in my face that my things were throw in the garbage and did not reimburse me at all...

BAD BAD PLACE

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — They stole from me!
1 Thank BethanyLosAngeles
Stockton, CA
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This property left a lot to be desired. I had arranged for a suite with 2 queen beds anticipating it would be similar to a place we had stayed in Anaheim - 2 separate rooms with a bed in each room and a separate sitting area with kitchen amenities. I was wrong . . . it is one typical hotel room with two queen beds next to each other and a half room with a small hide-a-bed, tv, and wet bar. When we arrived, we were told the people who had occupied the room the night before had extended their stay another night, so we were offered one room with two queen beds or two rooms and hotel staff would move us the following day. We chose the one room. The beds were like rocks! I've never slept on such hard mattresses!!

The next day the hotel staff moved our belongings into the suite while we were out, but didn't move my daughter's pillow. When we realized it wasn't there, the person at the front desk wasn't able to help us because he said he was the only person on duty and that he would have to contact the housekeeping staff who had all gone home at this point. We also needed a toothbrush which they advertised as being a complementary service if you forgot yours, but we were told they were all out. We also had problems with the internet cable - it worked in one room, but not the other. Again, the person at the front desk wasn't able to help us.

Fortunately, there was a shift change and the next front desk person was able to explain that the internet cable only worked in one room and they retrieved the missing pillow. We went out and bought our own toothbrush.

The location of the hotel is right on Ventura Blvd. - a VERY BUSY street - and you are only allowed to make a right turn when leaving the hotel. This is definitely a disadvantage if you need to go the opposite direction. There is a side gate to the parking lot, which would allow you access to points west, but it is locked shut. The property should install something in the ground which would open it when a car approached from the inside for the convenience of its guests!

A couple more comments - the mattresses in the suite were a little softer, but by the end of our stay, my body ached from sleeping in the bed. The mattress on the hide-a-bed was very thin and when my daughter laid on it, she felt the bar right through it. She ended up sleeping on it as a couch. AND the water temp in the shower was either hot or scalding! There was no cold water!

I must say the price of the room and the fact they offered a suite with 2 queen beds was the reason I chose this property. It wasn't worth it. I wouldn't stay here again.

Sorry Best Western. I've had better.

• Liked — It's overall appearance and it's proximity to the freeway.
  • Disliked — The mattresses and the difficulty in going anywhere other than to the east.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed April 30, 2008

Stayed in the hotel for almost a week-great place and can not beat the price plus location
Rooms are nice and clean, continental breakfast served, TV , Internet connection, very clean bathroom
they have pool and hot tub - great!
hotel looks like Spanish house - very warm feeling
clerks are friendly
they even have laundry-shall you run out of clean clothes
15 miles away from Malibu

Great place!
Would stay there again

Stayed April 2008
Oceanside, CA
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Motel-ish but clean on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills, CA. Just wanted rest and a few hours sleep before returning home to San Diego after a big family get together. Snuggle, late night TV, then blitz, NO TV signal, called front desk, a "Communication problem", offered my snoring husband in return! Vacated premises early AM, still a failure to communicate with TV.

Advise- Spend an extra $20.00 per night to get what you should have, it's worth it!

W.Parker

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — No TV signal
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We stayed here 3/11-3/15 for a family funeral, as did several other family members. The hotel was very clean, looked recently renovated, had everything we could have needed and was more than adequate. I am totally astonished that anyone could suggest that the area is "scary". It's a typical Valley street with a shopping center directly across the street with Jerry's Deli (great), Coffee Bean and Jamba Juice. The proximity to everything was great. The only drawback was the small parking lot-we always managed to get a spot, but it was tight. I would definitely stay here again-hopefully for a happier occasion.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Small parking lot
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
South San Fernando Valley
Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
#45 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Best Western Woodland Hills Inn? Share your experiences!