“Great Experience”

Hilgard House Hotel
Ranked #150 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My husband and I spent Thanksgiving weekend here because he got tired of sleeping on a futon at my parents' house every year.

The staff is incredibly friendly, there is free parking (a major deal in Westwood where all street parking is time limited or restricted. The continental breakfast is bagels and fruit and drinks. Cursory, but adequate; you take it up to your room or out with you wherever you're headed (no dining area).

The rooms are good size, the bed quite comfy, with free wifi and 41" t.v. with premium channels if you care. Some noise from the neighbor's water pipes around midnight, but I was up on my computer, otherwise wouldn't have heard it. My husband slept right through it.

Very reasonably priced for the location and the value. Will stay again next year.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about street noise, may want to ask for room at the back. Also, we stayed in th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 8,013

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This quaint European-style hotel offers the best bang for your buck. Each morning they offer a wide variety of contential breakfast items including hot & cold cereal, muffins and toast. The rooms are equiped with a fridge and microwave. Although the furniture may be dated the linens are fresh and clean. The staff is especially helpful and accomodating. It is only a few blocks walking distance to UCLA Medical Center. Why stay just across the street for hundreds more?

Room Tip: If you are there for a medical issue at UCLA be sure to mention that for their special rate.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lih
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed two nights (the first days of chilling rain coincidentally) at the Hilgard House. I liked the vibe immediately.
Clean rooms, heavily laden with wooden treatments and lineoleum floors, an overhead fan, and an air purifier (or something akin) along with a soft and comfy bed made this a nice spot for meetings at UCLA and convenient to travel.

Ample parking and good buffet continental breakfast including bagels, juice, cereal, fruit and tempting Krispy Kreme donuts. My only complaints: the plastic plates for breakfast were flimsy (no place to sit so all of it was to go) and the shower (with wonderfully hot water) head was placed so low had I had to squat (am 6 ft 2) for the full head effect.

Nice, friendly staff and great eating within a few blocks (Sushi, Korean, etc). I would stay again in a heartbeat since it is cool and doesnt have a chain feel (because its not). Now if they added a happy hour with wine it would be perfect!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DrRoy52
Reviewed October 8, 2011

After speaking with Mr McCrea (Gen'l mgr) I went back 12/10 to give the place another try. It was a much better experience this time around and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it. The location was great, staff was helpful and the room was very clean =) It was raining when I was there but that wasn't a problem because they supplied umbrellas. I can't say enough about how much my opinion has changed. Just check it out for yourself!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I traveled about 14 hours from Singapore to LA. I stayed in Hilgard house for 4 weeks during my visits to UCLA. Hilgard has its own charm that I liked. Majority of the staff members were warm and friendly. I particularly liked the free flow of hot drinks throughout the day. The breakfast was simple and good though not elaborative. In terms of accessibility, needless to say, was excellent. It is very near Ralph (opens 24 hrs) and many eateries and best of all a stone-throw from the medical center where I was visiting. The room condition is clean and acceptable -depends how you make it to be. Though I was referred to an alternative hotel, I chosed to remain in Hilgard house because I find serenity and safe in the environment. I will definitely stay in Hilgard again should I return one day. Thanks to the hotel crews who have made my stay a pleasant and memorable one.

Room Tip: good for those who are simple and down to earth with less fancy expectations.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2011

It was unfortunate that our 5 year old was scheduled for brain surgery the week students moved back to UCLA because everything was booked. The location is great... right behind the Tiverton which is where we usually stay. Appearance wise it seemed as though we were in for a treat because we love nostalgia. Once in the room, we were really disappointed because the floors had not been "cleaned" ...There were dried old spills and spot marks all over the entry and bathroom floors. The bathroom smelled like a urinal and it seemed "wiped" down. There was a small fridge which was not keeping our child's medicine cold and when we opened the door, the floor around the fridge was filthy. It was as if the fridge had been further away from the wall and was never cleaned underneath... then was pushed back to the wall to reveal old spills and poor mopping. Very gross. We had to be moved to the only available room which was a suite at $199 a night. At first glance again it seemed okay. The sofas were badly stained and the carpet filthy around it. Everything needed to cleaned. The counters and dining table left the wash cloth so dirty we couldn't wash it out with soap. We took a photo of it, because it bothered us so much we wanted to tell the manager. We didn't so much care that the patio was uninviting because we were more concerned with caring for our five year old. I found the accommodations inexcusably uncomfortably dirty. A little dust we can deal with... dirty, no. Just an irritant was the WiFi was continually out and needed resetting. This place could be great if it was better kept. The walls have hand prints and the whole place needs a good cleaning and makeover. I don't know about the other rooms but when you can't walk around without shoes on because your feet get black, that is just wrong. Gross. I give it 2 stars just because it had a kitchen.

Room Tip: Look first.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Try and book directly with hotel for they offer specials on certain dates

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo