“Much better the 2nd time around”

Hilgard House Hotel
Ranked #141 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Tucson, Arizona
“Much better the 2nd time around”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

After speaking with Mr McCrea (Gen'l mgr) I went back 12/10 to give the place another try. It was a much better experience this time around and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it. The location was great, staff was helpful and the room was very clean =) It was raining when I was there but that wasn't a problem because they supplied umbrellas. I can't say enough about how much my opinion has changed. Just check it out for yourself!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I traveled about 14 hours from Singapore to LA. I stayed in Hilgard house for 4 weeks during my visits to UCLA. Hilgard has its own charm that I liked. Majority of the staff members were warm and friendly. I particularly liked the free flow of hot drinks throughout the day. The breakfast was simple and good though not elaborative. In terms of accessibility, needless to say, was excellent. It is very near Ralph (opens 24 hrs) and many eateries and best of all a stone-throw from the medical center where I was visiting. The room condition is clean and acceptable -depends how you make it to be. Though I was referred to an alternative hotel, I chosed to remain in Hilgard house because I find serenity and safe in the environment. I will definitely stay in Hilgard again should I return one day. Thanks to the hotel crews who have made my stay a pleasant and memorable one.

Room Tip: good for those who are simple and down to earth with less fancy expectations.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
northern california
Reviewed September 15, 2011

It was unfortunate that our 5 year old was scheduled for brain surgery the week students moved back to UCLA because everything was booked. The location is great... right behind the Tiverton which is where we usually stay. Appearance wise it seemed as though we were in for a treat because we love nostalgia. Once in the room, we were really disappointed because the floors had not been "cleaned" ...There were dried old spills and spot marks all over the entry and bathroom floors. The bathroom smelled like a urinal and it seemed "wiped" down. There was a small fridge which was not keeping our child's medicine cold and when we opened the door, the floor around the fridge was filthy. It was as if the fridge had been further away from the wall and was never cleaned underneath... then was pushed back to the wall to reveal old spills and poor mopping. Very gross. We had to be moved to the only available room which was a suite at $199 a night. At first glance again it seemed okay. The sofas were badly stained and the carpet filthy around it. Everything needed to cleaned. The counters and dining table left the wash cloth so dirty we couldn't wash it out with soap. We took a photo of it, because it bothered us so much we wanted to tell the manager. We didn't so much care that the patio was uninviting because we were more concerned with caring for our five year old. I found the accommodations inexcusably uncomfortably dirty. A little dust we can deal with... dirty, no. Just an irritant was the WiFi was continually out and needed resetting. This place could be great if it was better kept. The walls have hand prints and the whole place needs a good cleaning and makeover. I don't know about the other rooms but when you can't walk around without shoes on because your feet get black, that is just wrong. Gross. I give it 2 stars just because it had a kitchen.

Room Tip: Look first.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Try and book directly with hotel for they offer specials on certain dates

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank textiletyke
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Free parking, a more or less edible breakfast, good sized room and pleasant ambience - quite a pleasing stay of 2 nights. We used it as a base for the Getty and we enjoyed the local area around the hotel. We will certainly stay here again when we are next in LA.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marchender
Kowloon
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights to tour the UCLA campus and spent a fun day at the Universal Studios. It's a small charming hotel within an easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, and banks. Room was clean and a decent size. Staff was also friendly and helpful.
My kids also loved the late pizza / ravioli dinner we had at the nearby Pizza Express, which was opened until 3 a.m. You can buy tickets online that will include round trip transportation from this hotel to Universal Studios Hollywood. This was all great as i did not want to rent a car and worry about driving / traffic in LA.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TBONEUSA
San Diego
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by the large, comfortable and quiet rooms. Parking is included in the rate. Walking distance from most of UCLA buildings. A very decent value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business