As anyone visiting L.A. has discovered, hotel prices can be outrageous
to almost insane. That's especially true on the Westside. Having said that, there is one option that is actually a gem in the rough--Holiday
Inn Express West Los Angeles.
The West Los Angeles location is ideally located on Santa Monica Blvd and the infamous I-405 freeway. It's the perfect jump-off point if you
are planning on driving. There is abundant subtarranean parking below the hotel with the rooms located on floors two through four.
The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. It was just me and the size was perfect. Two people would do as well too. The room was standard equipped with a very comfortable queen size bed, a desk for work or surfing the Net, high-speed Internet connection, if you have your laptop with you, TV with cable, a coffee set-up to brew your own and a good size individual refrigerator. I asked for a non-smoking room.
The bathroom was a nicely designed, modern granite bathroom. It was nicer than some of the 'higher end' hotels I have ever been to.
The hotel serves a continental breakfast each morning from 6:30 to 9:30 AM. For a continental breakfast, they serve a surprisingly varied number of items. In addition to the standard juices, they have bagels with cream cheese, hot cinnamon rolls, muffins, fruit, make your own oatmeal, hardboiled eggs and coffee. Those are what I ate. There were other things but I never got around to a second helping!
The one downside....this intersention is notorious for traffic because
of people getting on the 405, getting off and through traffic going to
Century City, Westwood, UCLA or Beverly Hills. The building has clearly been soundproofed but you DO hear the traffic in your room during rush hour. It's not bad but if you were looking for a completely 'silent' room, this wouldn't be it.
There are several benefits to this location: This area has a wide array of restaurants all within walking distance or a short bus ride away. Around the corner and 4 blocks South on Sawtelle Blvd is an area littered with Japanese restaurants, stores and markets. It's sometimes affectionately known as "Little Tokyo West." There is a multitude of restaurants including ramen houses, sushi bars and Japanese fusion houses. Stand outs include: Manpuku (Japanese/Korean BBQ) and Chabuya (ramen). By no means are these the only standout places!
West L.A. is also littered with wonderful Persian restaurants. Westwood Blvd between Santa Monica and Wilshire Blvd is sometimes annointed "Little Persia" for its multitude of Persian restaurants, markets, book stores and other types of related entities. You don't need to speak Farsi to browse these stores. All people are heartily welcomed to walk around. Stand out restaurants include: Shahrzad Restaurant (Westwood Blvd near Ohio), Darya (Santa Monica Blvd near Bundy) and Javan (3 blocks West of hotel). There are many more.
Other locations for a multitude of restaurants include Westwood Village, Century City Shopping Center, Pico Blvd between Overland and Veteran, and Santa Monica Blvd West of the hotel are among the areas with large concentrations of restaurants.
The hotel location is also well suited for those that want to get out of their cars and take the bus. Parking is very expensive in L.A. and the notorious congestion goes without saying. There are several bus lines, however, that'll take you to a lot of the major destinations:
Santa Monica Big Blue Bus Line #1 East goes up Santa Monica Blvd and then takes you to Westwood Blvd, Westwood Village, UCLA-Armand Hammer Museum and UCLA.
Santa Monica Big Blue Bus Line #1 West goes down Santa Monica Blvd tp Downtown Santa Monica, Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Beach/Pier and Venice Beach/Boardwalk.
MTA Metro Bus #4 East to Wilshire Blvd. Catch a connecting bus MTA Rapid #720 or MTA Metro Bus #20 up Wilshire to Fairfax Blvd. This is the start of Museum Row and the Peterson Automotive Museum, Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), George C Page Museum/La Brea Tar Pits, Craft and Folk Art Museum.
So, in addition to being a very nice and comfortable hotel, the Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles is nicely situated at a crossroads of sorts to many of Los Angeles' most popular destinations. This review only covered a few of many throughout this region. It'll be enough to keep you busy for three or four days!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the Westside of Los Angeles, our new Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles welcomes visitors with extraordinary hospitality. Whether you're visiting for a corporate meeting or a family vacation, you will enjoy a stylish lodging experience with all the comforts of the home or office. Our ideal location also offers easy freeway access to all points of interest in the Greater Los Angeles Metro area. The Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles is an exquisite, well-appointed hotel within easy reach of many extraordinary attractions. Enjoy the Third Street Promenade and Santa Monica Pier, Rodeo Drive shopping in Beverly Hills, and the treasures of the Getty Center Museum all just a few minutes away! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles Hotel Los Angeles
- Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles
- Holiday Inn Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Holiday Inn