“Good value and recently-renovated”

Royal Palace Westwood
Ranked #118 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This small three-story hotel began life as a 1960s apartment building. It still has a mid-century modern look, but has recently been renovated. I found my room well-appointed and spacious with a super-comfortable bed and a great variable-spray shower-head. It was also completely quiet; although I had a front room with a balcony on the street, I never heard street noise. The staff was helpful and the hotel provided a useful map of the neighborhood. I was in town to visit museums and friends, but I don’t drive, so I appreciated that stops for buses to both the Getty Museum and LACMA were just a couple of minutes away and that friends who visited had a place to park. It isn’t super fancy, but the price was modest, making this great value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank reprof
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thank you for posting your comments, we appreciate all feed back as it helps guide us as to what we can do or offer in the future to enhance the guest experience. I'm glad that you found the location suited your needs while visiting LA, and that the transportation & parking was to your liking. We look forward to hosting you upon your next visit to Westwood.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was at UCLA visiting my son and needed a place to stay the room was very nice! Clean and comfortable and the complementary breakfast was very good. I'd highly recommend this Hotel if your in the Westwood area.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joseph D
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave feed back regarding your stay.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Recently superficially refurbished, very close to UCLA and clean.
Reception service functional but walls shake when doors shut and you can hear your fellow guests coming into the hall, down the stairs and next door. Balcony at the front with late night roadworks to top it off. It's horrendously noisy; if you're looking for a good nights' sleep, this is not the place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

I am sorry to hear that your stay was interrupted due to excessive noise..there was some road work being done in front of the hotel which has since been completed. Our refurbishment as you call it was just completed, which was new hallway wallpaper, carpets and art work, as well as an upgraded NEW WiFi system through-out the property.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have stayed at Royal Palace Westwood several times so far, most of the times we got upgraded or payed for (since there was nothing else available) the full suite on the ground floor. This suite is very spacious and looks good. However, as mentioned by other reviewers, the AC is noisy. I usually keep the windows open instead of using the AC if the weather permits, but since the room was on the ground floor, I did not feel safe doing that.

This trip I had a particular bad experience to find the toilet seat dirty at 11pm... but it is not representative of the general cleaning of the room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, I will be looking into the issues to which you mentioned. It is our desire to make sure that every aspect of your stay is without incident.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Dear all,

I have literally just returned from this hotel and I have to say it was like starring in an episode of the Twilight Zone! I came down the stairs in the morning and the older guy with grey hair looked at me and said: "1st door on the left" no "good morning or anything - he assumed of course I was going to ask about breakfast, when I was really going to ask "did you order my shuttle bus for the UCLA." I did ask if they could recommend a local restaurant, the reply was: "no" without even looking at me and the old guy just remained in focus with his tablet - no doubt playing a game.

The room was clean, air con was noisy - so sleep wasn't an option. But the actual winning trophy for lousy customer service, and unprofessional-ism, has to be awarded to one of the maids in the breakfast area, when one of the guests asked for just plain water for his son and was told: "Now water - we do not do water!" are you serious? Yes she replied!

Would I stay again - NO! I said that whilst looking at my tablet :-)

You have now left the Twilight zone!

Room Tip: I would stay here again.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Luvly-Jubliee
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Hello Gary,

I wish to inform you that your review was much appreciated and was taken seriously. We have instituted NEW Guest Relations / Customer Satisfaction Guidelines in light of your comments, all non guest tablets have been removed, some re-training has taken place, and while looking a water options, other than that already provided in the vending machine. We now have complimentary bottled water to dispense upon request. Again, I thank you for your feed back, and hope that you will give us another chance in the future to provide you with an exceptional stay while here in LA.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

For the cost this hotel offers a great location... very close to the college and easy walking distance to resturants and services.
We were delighted with an unexpected upgrade.
Our room was clean and had been nicely renovated.
We also appreciated the on-site parking which is hard to find in this area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, the room was fine for the price, and the continental breakfast was good.

When I arrived, I could not get onto the internet. Your front desk was useless and said to send the owner an email, but he said that the owner is very cheap and would not be interested. When I finally got connected, it was incredibly slow, like dial up.

I noticed that occasionally during the day, my mouse pointer would move an inch or two. I didn't think much of it, but now believe that it was the hacker checking if I was at my comp (I moved the pointer back after he moved it, so he knew I was there). He was waiting for a time when I was away so that he could take over the comp and steal my info, and ultimately my money.

When I got back from dinner, I saw that the login screens for my brokerage accounts were open, as was a word file that contained passwords. I knew that I had been hacked. I suspect that he also hacked into my email account and probably downloaded many of my personal files.

When I got back to Sacramento yesterday, I immediately went into my online bank accounts, thinking that I was safe since I was 400 miles away. Within a minute, my mouse began to drag across the bank page, and then it selected tabs to the other pages and quickly dragged across them. It also open a word doc (my passwords) and dragged across it. I believe it was the hacker quickly copying all of my bank account information, and I was very lucky to see him in action so that I quickly made calls to all of my accounts.

This has cost me a lot of time and worry, and hopefully not my bank accounts. You run a low class operation and need to spend more to secure your internet better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Al B

We have taken your issues seriously and have just completed installation of one of the most advanced WiFi system available in a public location, with 24 hour monitoring and support services. I am sorry to hear of the situation you encountered and hope that if you are in the Westwood area again, that you would stop by to test the new system in person.