“ok hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“ok hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have stayed at Royal Palace Westwood several times so far, most of the times we got upgraded or payed for (since there was nothing else available) the full suite on the ground floor. This suite is very spacious and looks good. However, as mentioned by other reviewers, the AC is noisy. I usually keep the windows open instead of using the AC if the weather permits, but since the room was on the ground floor, I did not feel safe doing that.

This trip I had a particular bad experience to find the toilet seat dirty at 11pm... but it is not representative of the general cleaning of the room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your review, I will be looking into the issues to which you mentioned. It is our desire to make sure that every aspect of your stay is without incident.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Timbuktu, Mali
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Dear all,

I have literally just returned from this hotel and I have to say it was like starring in an episode of the Twilight Zone! I came down the stairs in the morning and the older guy with grey hair looked at me and said: "1st door on the left" no "good morning or anything - he assumed of course I was going to ask about breakfast, when I was really going to ask "did you order my shuttle bus for the UCLA." I did ask if they could recommend a local restaurant, the reply was: "no" without even looking at me and the old guy just remained in focus with his tablet - no doubt playing a game.

The room was clean, air con was noisy - so sleep wasn't an option. But the actual winning trophy for lousy customer service, and unprofessional-ism, has to be awarded to one of the maids in the breakfast area, when one of the guests asked for just plain water for his son and was told: "Now water - we do not do water!" are you serious? Yes she replied!

Would I stay again - NO! I said that whilst looking at my tablet :-)

You have now left the Twilight zone!

Room Tip: I would stay here again.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Luvly-Jubliee
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hello Gary,

I wish to inform you that your review was much appreciated and was taken seriously. We have instituted NEW Guest Relations / Customer Satisfaction Guidelines in light of your comments, all non guest tablets have been removed, some re-training has taken place, and while looking a water options, other than that already provided in the vending machine. We now have complimentary bottled water to dispense upon request. Again, I thank you for your feed back, and hope that you will give us another chance in the future to provide you with an exceptional stay while here in LA.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

For the cost this hotel offers a great location... very close to the college and easy walking distance to resturants and services.
We were delighted with an unexpected upgrade.
Our room was clean and had been nicely renovated.
We also appreciated the on-site parking which is hard to find in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Roseville, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, the room was fine for the price, and the continental breakfast was good.

When I arrived, I could not get onto the internet. Your front desk was useless and said to send the owner an email, but he said that the owner is very cheap and would not be interested. When I finally got connected, it was incredibly slow, like dial up.

I noticed that occasionally during the day, my mouse pointer would move an inch or two. I didn't think much of it, but now believe that it was the hacker checking if I was at my comp (I moved the pointer back after he moved it, so he knew I was there). He was waiting for a time when I was away so that he could take over the comp and steal my info, and ultimately my money.

When I got back from dinner, I saw that the login screens for my brokerage accounts were open, as was a word file that contained passwords. I knew that I had been hacked. I suspect that he also hacked into my email account and probably downloaded many of my personal files.

When I got back to Sacramento yesterday, I immediately went into my online bank accounts, thinking that I was safe since I was 400 miles away. Within a minute, my mouse began to drag across the bank page, and then it selected tabs to the other pages and quickly dragged across them. It also open a word doc (my passwords) and dragged across it. I believe it was the hacker quickly copying all of my bank account information, and I was very lucky to see him in action so that I quickly made calls to all of my accounts.

This has cost me a lot of time and worry, and hopefully not my bank accounts. You run a low class operation and need to spend more to secure your internet better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Al B
We have taken your issues seriously and have just completed installation of one of the most advanced WiFi system available in a public location, with 24 hour monitoring and support services. I am sorry to hear of the situation you encountered and hope that if you are in the Westwood area again, that you would stop by to test the new system in person.
Carpinteria, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I needed a hotel near UCLA Medical center following surgery. The room was spacious, clean, air conditioned and QUIET My husband went down to the breakfast room the next morning and brought back juice and fruit for me. He said the breakfast was enough to get one going. Fruit, cereal, coffee, juice, breads and even a pancake machine.
The hotel is in a residential area near many restaurants and has free parking for guests.
It met my needs and I would recommend this hotel for short stays.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

THE room was large and very clean. Nice beds were comfortable. The only air conditioning is in the rooms. No air in the hallways,office or breakfast eating room. . The parking spaces are so close togather it is very difficult to to open your door to get out. The desk clerks are very rude . When i checked out, the clerk did not say any thing. He handed me my receipt. and that was it.. No thank you, or come back and see us again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello..we have reviewed your comments and have made some changes reflective of your comments, for one we have repaired the AC in the breakfast area (there was one already that was working poorly). Yes, parking is at a premium, and as cars have gotten larger, seems our spaces have gotten smaller, and we have also implemented some new incentives along with training to properly deliver exceptional guest services. I am positive that if you were to visit us again you would notice that many of your described issues have been addressed.