“Clean and great location”

Royal Palace Westwood
Ranked #118 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 3, 2013

For the cost this hotel offers a great location... very close to the college and easy walking distance to resturants and services.
We were delighted with an unexpected upgrade.
Our room was clean and had been nicely renovated.
We also appreciated the on-site parking which is hard to find in this area.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, the room was fine for the price, and the continental breakfast was good.

When I arrived, I could not get onto the internet. Your front desk was useless and said to send the owner an email, but he said that the owner is very cheap and would not be interested. When I finally got connected, it was incredibly slow, like dial up.

I noticed that occasionally during the day, my mouse pointer would move an inch or two. I didn't think much of it, but now believe that it was the hacker checking if I was at my comp (I moved the pointer back after he moved it, so he knew I was there). He was waiting for a time when I was away so that he could take over the comp and steal my info, and ultimately my money.

When I got back from dinner, I saw that the login screens for my brokerage accounts were open, as was a word file that contained passwords. I knew that I had been hacked. I suspect that he also hacked into my email account and probably downloaded many of my personal files.

When I got back to Sacramento yesterday, I immediately went into my online bank accounts, thinking that I was safe since I was 400 miles away. Within a minute, my mouse began to drag across the bank page, and then it selected tabs to the other pages and quickly dragged across them. It also open a word doc (my passwords) and dragged across it. I believe it was the hacker quickly copying all of my bank account information, and I was very lucky to see him in action so that I quickly made calls to all of my accounts.

This has cost me a lot of time and worry, and hopefully not my bank accounts. You run a low class operation and need to spend more to secure your internet better.

1  Thank Al B
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

We have taken your issues seriously and have just completed installation of one of the most advanced WiFi system available in a public location, with 24 hour monitoring and support services. I am sorry to hear of the situation you encountered and hope that if you are in the Westwood area again, that you would stop by to test the new system in person.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I needed a hotel near UCLA Medical center following surgery. The room was spacious, clean, air conditioned and QUIET My husband went down to the breakfast room the next morning and brought back juice and fruit for me. He said the breakfast was enough to get one going. Fruit, cereal, coffee, juice, breads and even a pancake machine.
The hotel is in a residential area near many restaurants and has free parking for guests.
It met my needs and I would recommend this hotel for short stays.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

THE room was large and very clean. Nice beds were comfortable. The only air conditioning is in the rooms. No air in the hallways,office or breakfast eating room. . The parking spaces are so close togather it is very difficult to to open your door to get out. The desk clerks are very rude . When i checked out, the clerk did not say any thing. He handed me my receipt. and that was it.. No thank you, or come back and see us again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello..we have reviewed your comments and have made some changes reflective of your comments, for one we have repaired the AC in the breakfast area (there was one already that was working poorly). Yes, parking is at a premium, and as cars have gotten larger, seems our spaces have gotten smaller, and we have also implemented some new incentives along with training to properly deliver exceptional guest services. I am positive that if you were to visit us again you would notice that many of your described issues have been addressed.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Maureen H
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel is acceptable, but in spite of the sign in front of the hotel that proclaims "high speed internet in the room," internet access in the rooms are almost non-existent.

The hotel's name suggest that it will be a grand place, but you should expect "motel." The hall ways are worn down, with marks on the walls. However, the rooms are reasonably nice - large beds and more space than is typical with the cookie-cutter hotel rooms.

The person who took our reservation, Robert, confirmed a king bedded room, but when we arrived we were told that there were only double queens available.

The killer is the internet. It is the slowest internet I have ever experienced in the first world. It equals part of remote Africa for its download speeds.

Too bad, our daughter starts at UCLA in the fall and we were hoping to find a place where we could stay when we would come to visit. Apparently, we will keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Hi Brad,
I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations during your visit here to UCLA. I wish to take this opportunity to inform you (for the future) that we are in the final stages of approving an interior make-over, including New Hallway Carpets, New Wallpaper, Improved Lighting, We have completed installation of the most updated RFID Key system for Securing your Guest Room. and are also aware of, and addressing our aging Wireless Infrastructure with a soon to be completed Upgrade to the latest Wireless / Internet Technology. I expect all of these upgrades and improvements to be completed by years end, if not sooner. I hope that you will give us another chance to to show how we have (are) addressing your concerns.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I made a reservation for one night on Expedia. The hotel was full so Expedia automatically booked me for the first night that was available. Obviously, this was not the night I had wanted to stay. Five days before my room was booked the front desk called and told me that they couldn't run my credit card. I told them that I had never intended to book that night and I was about to cancel the reservation through Expedia 72 hours out. The man cursed me and called me a deadbeat! He said that I had better give him a credit card he could run or he would pursue me through collections. I called back five minutes later and asked for the name of the hotel manager. Front desk told me that they didn't have a manager. Needless to say, I will never book another reservation again. Its employees have no respect for their intended guests, and they have no business being in the "hospitality" industry.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. First, We have a long standing relationship with Expedia, and offer very flexible cancellation policies depending on the type of booking you make. Our policy, as I can not officially speak for Expedia, is to book & confirm rooms based ONLY on availability, we do NOT just book the next available date or room type without YOUR consent. That being said, automatically booking the next available date is not the norm. When booking through Expedia, THEY collect your credit card info, then block a room and send us the details to which we bill Expedia upon your departure. The front desk is instructed to always refer any guest who book through a OTA (Expedia, Booking.com ETC) to contact them directly in order to modify, change or cancel a booking. We CAN only assist guest who book with us directly as in that case WE maintain the records ourselves. So there is NO reason for us to contact you regarding validity of a credit card, Regarding not having a manager, YES, we have a manager, I am usually available during normal business hours, and also after hours for emergencies, all of the Guest Service Agents are instructed to give my contact info, or collect yours for me to return a call. As I was NOT aware of this alleged incident, until this review was posted, I was unable to assist you personally, as is our policy regarding any and all complaints in a timely manner.