“Rude Front Desk Told Me I Was a Deadbeat!!!”

Royal Palace Westwood
Ranked #113 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
El Cajon, California, United States
“Rude Front Desk Told Me I Was a Deadbeat!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I made a reservation for one night on Expedia. The hotel was full so Expedia automatically booked me for the first night that was available. Obviously, this was not the night I had wanted to stay. Five days before my room was booked the front desk called and told me that they couldn't run my credit card. I told them that I had never intended to book that night and I was about to cancel the reservation through Expedia 72 hours out. The man cursed me and called me a deadbeat! He said that I had better give him a credit card he could run or he would pursue me through collections. I called back five minutes later and asked for the name of the hotel manager. Front desk told me that they didn't have a manager. Needless to say, I will never book another reservation again. Its employees have no respect for their intended guests, and they have no business being in the "hospitality" industry.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. First, We have a long standing relationship with Expedia, and offer very flexible cancellation policies depending on the type of booking you make. Our policy, as I can not officially speak for Expedia, is to book & confirm rooms based ONLY on availability, we do NOT just book the next available date or room type without YOUR consent. That being said, automatically booking the next available date is not the norm. When booking through Expedia, THEY collect your credit card info, then block a room and send us the details to which we bill Expedia upon your departure. The front desk is instructed to always refer any guest who book through a OTA (Expedia, Booking.com ETC) to contact them directly in order to modify, change or cancel a booking. We CAN only assist guest who book with us directly as in that case WE maintain the records ourselves. So there is NO reason for us to contact you regarding validity of a credit card, Regarding not having a manager, YES, we have a manager, I am usually available during normal business hours, and also after hours for emergencies, all of the Guest Service Agents are instructed to give my contact info, or collect yours for me to return a call. As I was NOT aware of this alleged incident, until this review was posted, I was unable to assist you personally, as is our policy regarding any and all complaints in a timely manner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I went to LA this last weekend just for fun. Westwood is an ideal location in LA for a good central location to things a lot of tourists would like to see, and it is a charming neighborhood. It is perfect if you have any business at UCLA or its medical center. The hotel is easy to find and close to the 405 express way, a few blocks from Wilshire and Santa Monica. This hotel, like many in central LA, is an older building, but very well maintained with comfortable beds. The rooms are surprisingly large -- the suite we stayed in was probably around 400 square feet -- and the beds are comfortable and sheets are soft. There is a fridge and microwave in the room. Pillows were a little too large for my tastes. The price is good by LA standards and the area is quiet at night. Desk staff were helpful and friendly. The parking is free and convenient (important!!!). Forget the breakfast, though, it is in a tiny little room and consists of coffee like battery acid, some dried out pastry or bread, some Cheerios and related cereals, and an electric automatic pancake maker that is fun to use but which results in an inedible product. There is lots of food in the neighborhood, so seek breakfast there if this is important to you. The AC consists of wall units, but they work well, albeit a touch noisy. WiFi was fast when it worked but seemed a bit intermittent at times.

Adding it up though, I would not hesitate for a second to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kfar Saba
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We've stayed for one night in march 2013, and were a bit doubtful about a place calling itself " Royal palace", which is really a bit grand, but besides this is a gem in the expensive neighborhood of Westwood. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfy, and even the breakfast has its merits.And all of Westwood on your footstep!
Very recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
west sussex
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Lovely big rooms, clean, routers in every room so the internet worked. These are almost apartments – with a proper kitchen section.Good auto breakfast (they even have a machine that magicaly produces pancakes) Plenty of shops within walking and Jerry’s deli is only a couple of blocks. We were seeing friends in Los Angeles and this was a great place to relax, get your washing done and spread out a bit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jubilad0
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Nice and big room, clean and not noisy at all. Price/value ratio very good and good breackfast. Very well located, near UCLA in a walkable area. Also near -by car- to Hollywood attractions and Beverly Hills. Very recommendable

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here twice in March/April '13 and can definitely recommend this hotel.
Located beside UCLA and within short drive to Santa Monica and Hollywood.
Great restaurants in Westwood too.
Rooms we stayed in were very clean, staff were helpful.
The hotel has free parking for guests and a basic breakfast too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Winlock, Washington
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had to do an overnight trip to Westwood to apply for a work visa at the Czech consulate. This was by far the closest hotel to the consulate on Wilshire Boulevard, so i decided to give it a try, since the reviews here on TripAdvisor were good. I wasn't disappointed in my choice.
If you are looking for a luxurious and spacious room, then stay somewhere else. If you are looking for a better-than adequate room in a quiet location in Westwood, then stay here! The building itself was probably built near the middle of the last century, but the rooms are modern and well equipped. I stayed in a queen room, and the space was great for one person. The room was not large, but I didn't feel cramped at all. The flat screen TV was easy to watch from the bed, the bed as well as the desk and chair were comfortable. Decent sized mini-fridge and microwave also in the room. The air conditioning unit was not exactly quiet...but not really loud either. It did not keep me awake or prevent me from sleeping. I stayed on the ground floor, which had an enclosed patio with two chairs and a small table. I think the rooms on the upper floors have balconies, which would be an added plus.
The hotel was an easy four block walk from the "Fly Away" bus stop on Kinross which brought me to and from LAX. $10 each way...a deal I would recommend instead of taking a taxi or renting a car.
Upon checking in the hotel clerk was eager to assist me with maps of UCLA and the surrounding area, as well as how to get to the Czech consulate. Outstanding service...above and beyond the call of duty!
The free breakfast was decent, a little better than average. Coffee and cream was always available when I wanted it. Thumbs up!
I really liked the area around the hotel...Westwood Village has lots of shops, restaurants and bars to choose from. The hotel is an easy walk to the UCLA campus as well.
If you need a no-frills place to stay near UCLA, I would recommend this property. I would stay here again, no questions asked. A hidden gem in Westwood. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business