“Overpriced and disgusting place!”

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #95 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed in Venice Beach Suites & Hotel for one night in December 2012. We arrived late evening which was already scary as hell. In front of the hotel we were offered drugs.... Everywhere around homeless, drunk and stoned people. We paid 169$ for a room where you could not close our window! Someone in the middle of the night could easily get into our room through the roof top of belonging building. We should have done more research... Overpriced and disgusting place! Because of this hotel we cut shorter our stay in Los Angeles.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Supermartyna
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

I am very sorry that this guest was not pleased with our Beach front boutique hotel for we try very hard to show all of our guest a great time.

For the first time visitor to Venice we always try to discourage an after hours late arrival because it can be quite intimidating if you are not familiar with Venice. We are a very small 105 year old community.

As for the rate I feel we offer the best value for a beach front hotel.

Andy Layman, Proprietor

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed there for a night. The area looked really scary at night, filled with drunk homeless people passing out on the street or on the beach! The bath tub was filthy and some of the dishes were unclean. If you are planning to stay somewhere close to the Venice beach, I would totally recommend a descent hotel close to the airport, which is less than 10 minute drive to the beach and obviously less expensive than this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sepid935
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

I am very sorry when one writes a review like this. For as a family owned and operated boutique hotel it causes me great concern for we take great pride in our historic hotel.. I will agree that the area can be quite different for many people who have mot lived in a downtown urban area or near a major tourist area. like Venice Beach CA. As a past president of the Venice Chamber of Commerce this has been a challenge for many years. Keep the eclectic artist atmosphere while trying to help the homeless. Where do the paths of helping and enabling cross?

I can assure you that the kitchen dishes are washed daily. As for the 101 year old claw foot bath tub most people love them for their unique nature.
Andy Layman, Owner.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of July and thought the hotel and staff were excellent. It is an old building with its quirks which we knew beforehand. The hotel was clean and tidy and located right on the boardwalk. The staff can't be held responsible for the colourful characters that frequent the area. They only add to the interest. Venice Beach area is renowned for the diversity of its residents and I would imagine that most visitors would know this before they went. If easily offended go to Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor are best.
Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GerGlasgow57
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I am a travel agent and I am very open to trying new places but when I walked into my room which was situated at the rear of the hotel overlooking the back alley, I was instantly filled with a feeling of regret. The room was average, the bed was awful - but the bathroom really sealed the deal, it was disgusting and I had to wear my flip flops when I showered as I couldn't bear the thought of my bare feet touching the bottom of the bath. The shower curtain was manky and it was just a huge dissapointment.
As for the location - it was right in the middle of it all, so if you're after hte real eye opening side of it, then it's great... but everyone in this area smokes weed during the day openly out the front etc and I swear they must smoke crack at night too as people were doing nothing but screaming and having domestics in the alley which our room overlooked.
For the people raving on about the "exposed brick and rustic feel and how they highly recommend this hotel" clearly work for the hotel as nothing can redeem this place!!!!

Room Tip: A good tip to choose a good room would be to book at a hotel other than this one!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bow5912
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Running 100 year old boutique hotel at the heart of eclectic/bohemia Venice Beach, CA can be a real Challenge. One our biggest challenges is clearly showing what the hotel and Venice Beach are all about. on our web site or thru on line travel agents. With the limited space that OTA's have they do not always show the complete information that our web site shows. Venice Beach is the #1 tourist attraction in Los Angeles county and we can get over 60,000 on the boardwalk on a single day during the Summer

This I think was this guest concern. By not doing their homework about Venice Beach they were very much surprised and definitely outside their comfort zone.

I am always very much concerned when a bad review is given and we try learn from them.

Andy, Owner
Venice Beach Suites & Hotel

PS Marijuana is a legal substance in the State of California as well as many other states.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Went to California on vacation first San Diego that was wonderful. Then we planed a night on Venice Beach.. Omg it was not what we expected homeless people everywhere and people smoking weed and trying to sell us some.. We did not feel safe there.. The hotel gave us 1/2 our money back we were there for only 1hr. Please don't believe the reviews these people must be on crack.. I'm just warning you guys.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Mencho50
Reviewed July 7, 2013

One of my most favorite hotels - exposed brick and a certain rustic charm. Absolutely perfect location, nothing to be said there. The staff is also lovely - attentive yet not intrusive and very, very friendly. I absolutely adore this place.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2013

staff was really nice. The room charge was 187.00 a night. We got room 107 (Ground floor) at the very end of the hallway. Right across from us was 108 and they had people coming in and out of there like they were making drug deals.
The room itself was quaint and darling. The bed was rock hard : ( Pillows were horrid and flat.
Shower bottom was stained black in parts and the room had black spots of mildew. This is nothing that a bit of foam bleach cleanser would have taken care of. I wonder just how clean the room really was. No proof or seal that the toilet had been scrubbed and no cleanser left behind so we could do it ourselves just to be sure.
YES So many beggars and Bums down there.
So its a roof over your head I wouldnt stay here again. Not for that price. Id bring a foam egg crate for the bed and my own pillows and some bleach in a spray bottle.

Room Tip: no air conditioning. Heater is an old radiator type.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
The Kinney
The Kinney
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!