“"Hotel with the homeless."”

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #96 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you like being surrounded by homeless people, drug users, and beggers, then this is the hotel for you. It is on the beach, but i'd never stay there again. In the course of 24 hours i was asked about 10-12 times for money food or cigarets. I was advised NOT to go outside after 7:00pm. It may be this hip, cool place to hang out, but at age 53 those days are long past

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank David K
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

I am always very concerned when someone is not happy with their stay at our hotel. I looked into this guest's stay and tried to find out what went wrong and how we could have better described our location and hotel. We try very hard to accurately describe our historic, boutique property and our eclectic, Bohemian beach neighborhood both on our website and when speaking with prospective guests over the phone.

This information is hard for guests to gather from an online travel agent website, which I why I always recommend that visitors consider review sites such as TripAdvisor, look at a hotel's own website or contact the hotel staff directly with any questions or concerns before arriving at an unfamiliar place.

I can only wish that this particular guest could have stayed longer than one quick night in November so he could have experienced the wonderful sights, sounds, surf, sand and sunsets of 'famous-for-being-funky' Venice Beach.

Finally we would NEVER recommend not going out at night, quite the contrary. There are over 15 resturants , bars and night clubs all within a short walking distace and we encourage our guest to visit them.

There are newer reviews for Venice Beach Suites & Hotel

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here with my family of three. While in NYC, my teenager was intrigued by the Greenwich Village vibe so I decided to plan a couple of nights in Venice Beach. This hotel is in the perfect location right on the boardwalk. In the wee hours, I was able to look out the upstairs hallway window, watching people passing by from the safety of the hotel.
I am so glad we stayed on the boardwalk because during the day the vibe is really cool and fun but early in the morning the reality of lifestyle choices is readily apparent.
We want to go back and explore other neighborhoods in the area not just the boardwalk.
We are all happy with this funky hotel and adore the elevator. Love how the hotel has all sorts of goodies that visitors can borrow. Friendly people and very laid back

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lovemousakka
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This place is a cauldron of characters and you could sit on the walk all day just people watching. The rooms are clean and well kept. It was a little small, but only because we had a pull out bed for my teenaged daughter. There was a little noise on the Friday night but in all we didn't lose any sleep. Would definitely recommend to my family and friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a good hotel with an amazing location, however, this review won't mean anything without knowing these few things: If you are looking for a quite, relaxing vacation, this hotel and Venice Beach are not for you. This Boardwalk is always crowded with people and the walls in the hotel are thin. If you are looking to just relax in a hotel, this is not the hotel for you. The rooms are small, bed is hard, and they don't clean your room unless you stay over a week. That being said, if you want a different experience in a fun and artistic town, this is the place for you. The hotel is very old, but the staff is very friendly and the location is amazing. We didn't spend much time in our room because there was so much to do all around the town. The old style elevator was really fun, but definately not for consistent use (we took the stairs) so if you are handicaped, I would request a room on the bottom floor. The location is to die for if you love the beach. We were able to park a block down in a lot for $20 a night with no problem finding a spot. You walk out of the hotel and are on the beach! The hotel also has surf boards and beach equipment (even volleyballs) that you can borrow for free!
Overall we enjoyed our stay here. It's no where near a five star hotel, but for the price and the location, it was perfect for us!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on an oceam view room. You won't spend much time in your room and its...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Allison W
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great place to stay and play. All the comforts of home with an amazing view, close to all you need and anything you might have forgot. This boutique hotel provides the family owned atmosphere I find most attractive when traveling. Clean, comfortable, cozy with a little piece of home. Remember this is Venice Beach, if you're a stuffy person, this might not be the right fit for you. From the front desk to the maintenance and housekeeping, the staff is 5 star!

Room Tip: There is a room for everyone, be sure to communicate your needs with the front desk staff to be sure...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was the second time I stayed at Venice Beach hotel and, once again, I had a great time with no complaints: the hotel was clean and safe, staff very helpful. It's becoming my new home in LA. Even my favorate weidos were roaming on the boardwalk; it felt like a welcoming party

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here about a month ago. Before you arrive you need to be aware that this is not a Holiday Inn or a typical chain hotel. It is a Mom and Pop hotel centrally located on Venice Beach. The room we stayed in was very clean and had a kitchenette that made things very convienient. The only issue we had with the hotel was the lack of parking... but that was resolved by pulling up to the back of the hotel to drop off my wife... who went in to get the parking voucher while I circled the block. Being centrally located on the beach walkway... you will see everything from other tourists... to street people... to 420 doctors... just by walking out the door... Which is locked at night (Each guest has a key). There is enough people traffic that we felt as safe as anywhere else.
If you talk to Matt, the manager, he will happily direct you to any of the local attractions. He had options for discounted bike rentals, etc. He even directed us to the canals of Venice... where we even saw a gondola... (we had no idea they even existed) And you are just a few blocks from a high end shopping or eating district. Thank you for everything Matt.

Room Tip: If you are concerned with noise at night... ask Matt to put you in a room that is on the ally side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!