“Great Location but know what to expect before hand.”

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #96 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Here is my experience at this hotel for a two day long weekend trip. My wife and I arrived very late at night and found a letter from the staff with instructions on how to get into the hotel and our room since no one was around. So first lesson here is that the office is open only from 9am till around 8pm so if your going to arrive late make certain that you call before hand and get all the necessary info. This was an error on our part so I thought I should make that clear. If you have a car than take note that there is no hotel parking lot but there is a lot two blocks away that you can park that will charge $15 a night but if your a seasoned traveler you can find a place to park in the area around the hotel for free. The neighborhood is dark and silent at night but I felt safe in it so I'd say check in get the wife and kids situated and go park that car in the neighborhood and just walk back to your room and save yourself some cash.Now on with the review...after we got our instructions and got into the hotel the first thing we notice is the lift. Now my wife and I have stayed in several old buildings in Europe so the lift was not a shocker for us but if your used to modern places you must remember that this is a century old building and the lift was designed for this place. It is a birdcage type of lift that requires that you open the outer door then the cage. After you enter close the outer door and cage and that's it. Make certain that when you get to your floor to close the cage and the lift because if someone else wants to use the lift on another floor it will not work until you close the door so be courteous to others. Now the lift is a little bumpy so don't be alarmed by the ride because its perfectly safe. Up to this point nothing about the hotel had surprised or disappointed me until we got to our room. Now as I said it is an old building so of course the room is old but that wasn't the part I was disappointed about. We had paid a little extra for an ocean view but what we got was a parking lot view of the dingy apartments next door. You can see the ocean to the right when your in this room so I won't say that we didn't have a view of the ocean but in all honesty the only rooms with a true ocean view are the rooms at the front of the hotel and not the sides so I didn't think we should have paid extra for the "apartment" view. Ok enough with that and back to the room. The room size is fine for two travelers but I think the hotel could use updated furnishings.The floors were hard wood and the tub was the old porcelain kind with the clawed feet. Overall everything was clean and ready for us and worked as it should. There are lots of places for food and drinks nearby and a small convinence store a few blocks away so anything you need is close by. Being right on the boardwalk was very convenient for beach lovers but remember that it is non stop street noise all day so if your expecting peace and tranquility than the Venice boardwalk is not for you but if your expecting a very lively scene with a big cast of characters than you'll enjoyed it all immensely! All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank itsanthonya
There are newer reviews for Venice Beach Suites & Hotel

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Well, the Venice Beach Suites & Hotel is definitely as simple and easygoing as the Venice beach itself. It's a good choice for students, budget travelers and for people who want to feel what the real venice beach is. You have only two choices: to love the hotel or to hate it :)
The look of the Venice Beach Suites & Hotel reminds european hostels, but inside it is quite lovely hotel with vintage squeaky lift. The room is quite clean with small kitchen and additional folding bed for extra guest. It's little noisy from the beach during the night, but it's the part of the Venice beach experience stay.
The staff is very kind and helpful. Hotel doesn't have own parking, so you could park the car on paid public beach parking or ask the staff to give you the map of free parking places.
So in general the hotel definitely has own face and character and absolutely fit the character of the Venice beach place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2012

this is i think the 'truest' venice beach experience - the place is laid back, deprived of any sort of luxury, yet ultimately comfortable and friendly.
it all starts with friendly staff who do not rush to make sure you are clear where its ok to park your car to avoid fines. and even provide you complimentary upgrade to part ocean view room. then, you continue to scary looking elevator, which with some dramatic sound delivers you to your floor. then the room, understated but comfortable, with wood floors and brick walls, nice fitted kitchen and comfortable bed.
and in the morning, you look out of the window, and the palm trees and the beach say 'good morning' to you. absolutely loved this place. so laid back and relaxed.
one warning though - while standard bed is nice, avoid extra rollaway bed at al costs - its absolutely not suitable for sleeping!

Room Tip: make sure you don't use rollaway extra bed, or only use it for the friend you really hate
Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jarek_Yaroslav
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Big fan of hotel.
In the middle of Venice Beach, near the canals and overlooking the beach,
Best coffee shop within 100 feet.
Staff was extremely nice and courteous.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed here back in June and this hotel - and the whole Venice experience - has stuck with me. Straight off the bat the staff were welcoming and made us laugh. There was a problem with the room we had booked so they upgraded us to a partial ocean view. The room itself was awesome, no it's not your shiny, bleached and disenfected hotel room but that's what makes this place so special. The location is unbeatable and although there is some street noise it didn't bother us at all. We came to Venice to get amongst it and this hotel is a great starting point - the staff can advise you on anything you want to know about local life. Also anyone who complains about the lift needs their head checked - coming from Australia I have only ever seen birdcage lifts in movies so I was stoked to see it and it works just fine. If I am lucky enough to get the chance I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hawkeyed
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

I want to personally thank all of our prior guests for their great comments about us on Tripadvisor. We try very hard to make their Venice Beach Experience a great one. .

Our staff is the best and is willing to help our guests anyway they can. We are here to be of service to you.

Andy Layman, Owner

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I love history... and for me, this little hotel had serious history.
I was worried at first as I really needed a good night sleep and the boardwalk seemed like it would never quiet down as it was just such as circus. A little culture shock when I first arrived ;) However, just like it was the end of the business day, everyone packed up and went home. It was kind of funny actually as I fully expected the side show to continue well into the evening but it just stopped all of a sudden.
The hotel is quite old... one of the oldest structures on Venice Beach. The gentleman at the front desk had a huge amount of information about the area - he was 3rd generation Venice Beach resident. A great guy to talk to about the history of the place. Also, the hotel really embraces its roots with great historic pictures all over the hotel. Bed`s could have been better, but they weren't bad. Location was amazing! Great run on the beach in the morning! Will visit again... Thanks for the great experience!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank James P
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I'm a big fan of Venice Beach and just love the area. This hotel was great as it's literally right on the boardwalk, which worked for me! I was travelling alone but felt safe as houses here. The staff were fantastic. When my room had a minor plumbing mishap they rushed to my rescue and gave me my room at a cheaper rate for my final night. I also seemed to have some wifi hic-cups and rather than blame my computer (which was probably the problem) they simply gave me the password to their office wifi so I could get on to that as it was less busy. I thought they were completely fantastic. The room was comfortable and homey and clean. I had everything I needed. They've made an attempt to funkify the bathroom and the kitchen was well stocked. I booked an Ocean Front room and had a 2nd floor perfect view of the beach. I was brilliant. To top it off they told me next time I come and stay to ensure that I tell them I am coming from Australia as they always try to organise early check in for Aussie's and Kiwi's coming straight from the plane. So there's a tip! I really loved these guys. I'll stay there again in a heartbeat, in fact I am next year! And if I could take a couple of months off and bum around, I would go and stay there and just commune with all the weird and wonderful people of Venice Beach.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front rooms on the upper floor are great, but more expensive. My room was 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!