“Shower fit for a tall person :) Good hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys
Ranked #159 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I would recommend this hotel. The best positive was the shower. The shower was great for a tall person (my husband is 6'6" and he fit comfortably in the shower) and had a good shower head. One of the settings was so strong it hurt - which is a positive compared to other hotels typically having very low water pressure. Otherwise the bathroom was very small, but it was ok for us as just a couple.
Parking was free!
I did not try breakfast so I cannot review the food.
The only negative I have was that the front desk seemed short staffed. We arrived late at night on a Friday and went to the front desk on Sat morning to check on a question we had about our bill. Both times, there was only 1 person working the front desk and they were very busy. Maybe it was the timing, but both times they were having to handle phone calls and multiple guests at the desk all at once and all by themselves. I was patient b/c I also have worked in the customer service field and I know how stressful it is to have several customers at once, but some other guests clearly were impatient and upset and I felt bad for the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JackiePies
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear JackiePies,

During your stay the hotel has been very busy and we would like to express our sincerest appreciation of your kind words for our staff and felt their experience, giving us a plus on our shower heads and parking.

Not to mention we are getting a lot of review with the size of our bathroom but you and your husband were so nice about it.

Please do not hesitate to call us again in case you come back in the area or if you happen to reserve the Van Nuys location again, would be more than happy to extend an upgraded room for both of you.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I've stayed at this property before and had the chance to stay again recently.
My wife and I got up to the front desk. There was a guest in front of us. Front desk lady named Rosie was helping this unhappy customer. Rosie was getting an earful about a mistake on the reservation and some other minor things. We heard a good part of their conversation unfortunately. When it came time to my turn to check in, I tried as might to smile and be extra courteous seeing Rosie just had a bad time with the previous guest. I sympathized and felt bad for her. Well unfortunately I ended up being at the wrong time and at the wrong hotel. Rosie was obviously disturbed and distracted that she may have forgotten that not all guests can be harsh and rude. I tried patiently to continue to be nice and friendly even after she continued to ignore my questions and concerns. I asked if its possible to talk to the mgr, told her maybe the mgr can make some decisions that she continues to ignore. She walked to the back of a wall and immediately came back saying she's on the phone right now.
Now I can understand human emotions. I really did. Moods can change easily but this does not belong in any customer service field. One must stay professional at all times. Rosie was not a professional and so was her evening manager. I don't have any interest in considering this property for my business trips again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear GeeeWeeez,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Visiting my daughter in van nuys and most of the hotels were older looking and looked rough areas, all hotels downtown were booked. This was our only close option. We were okay with it because we love holiday inn express chain and never disappointed. During our cross country trip we usually pay around 85-90 a night with military discount. Here we paid 169/night. Double price but paid for a better area and safety. Rooms and service great, bfast normal. Parking lot had security and gate for late night. If you are in the area if Sepulveda street stay here or worry for your safety. That area isn't the best. My daughter and her husband are Newlyweds on a budget trying to live their dream so no suburb.

• Stayed: July 2014
HolidayInn V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Each and everyone of our staff would like to thank you for your understanding and kind heart to bring this to our attention and writing a review.
Not so many clients or guests especially if they were on a budget would accept the additional price increase to what you normally pay as a Government associate, in that case we salute you for the words that you left for our property.
Hope you will visit the area again.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

It is right off the busy and noisy 405 freeway and they didn't have hot water in the morning to take a shower. Need I say more? I suggest you don't stay here unless you are looking for a no frills hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for giving us the opportunity in letting us know of the situation, regarding your concern of the hot water, we were in contact with the Maintenance Manager and within 30 minutes it was back on, not to mention he was called around 1:30 am in the middle of the night.
It was just unfortunate that we were not given enough time to speak with you regarding the situation.
Appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I made a reservation for one hotel room at this hotel through their central booking application. I received one email confirmation of one reservation. I arrived two hours later and they told me I had two separate reservations. I explained I had only made one reservation. The front desk assured me I would not be charged for the second reservation. They did charge me twice! I have had to spend hours on the phone with the hotel staff and the national customer service trying to get a refund. I love Holiday Inn Express and am a very loyal customer. This has been a terrible customer service experience. Can’t believe no one at the hotel or in the national customer service will take care of this. DO NOT stay at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Leah F
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Good morning Ma'm, I believe the issue was settled with you because you've confirmed with us that you are disputing the charges. Hopefully this doesn't stop you from staying at other locations of our hotel chains.
And we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The location of this property is great because it is right off the interstate.
The neighborhood not so great. I did not feel unsafe, because there were many business (large car dealership) nearby ... but the area was kind of "seedy."
Very much a business/industrial area.
I was very skeptical of the inside quality of this hotel and was pleasantly surprised.
Not only was the decor nice, but it was clean and well managed.
Rosie at the desk was super nice.
There were large sliding doors at the entrance.
Lots of hot water ... great water pressure.
My room was clean and appeared to be recently painted.
There were only 2 towels and 2 hand towels in the room.
The bathroom was small.
There were plenty of outlets and plenty of lighting in my room.
I also could hear the train going by. At first I thought it was an earthquake and then found out that the tracks were a couple of blocks away.
There were 7 floors and 2 elevators.
The bed was super comfortable ... the pillows a bit lumpy.
I asked questions at the desk a couple of times. Everyone was very accommodating ... I also watched other patrons being taken care of.
It was evident that customer service is a priority.
I would stay here again.
: -)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Eulalia_3

All the good words will be pass on to upper management and will make sure the people that made your stay unforgettable will be mentioned and appreciated.
We greatly appreciate your keen observation of the area, hotel amenities and great people service.
Would be happy to accommodate and see you again.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We recently spent a week in Los Angeles and chose the Holiday Inn Express in Van Nuys as our home base. It is convenient to the freeway, which though frequently congested is the life blood of LA. The hotel is actually in Panorama City, which is largely populated with hispanics. This was not a problem for us, as we love Mexico and the people who live there. The folks we interacted with in PC were friendly and helpful. Just like they are in Mexico! The lady who ran the desk at the hotel, Rosie, was outstanding. And the gentleman in charge in the evening, Ali, was equally professional, courteous an helpful. The rest of the staff was absolutely charming. If kindness is something you look for in a hotel, the HIE Van Nuys will not disappoint. Our room was clean, appropriately appointed and quiet. And the parking was apparently as safe as Rosie had promised. In an earlier review, someone remarked on the small WC. While it might not have been enormous, it was scrupulously clean and served us well.
Bienvenidos a Van Nuys! jeff

Room Tip: There are numerous mini malls in the area with interesting ethnic food...Mexican, Armenian, Thai , C...