“Great Hotel but a little too much for the type of hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys
Ranked #152 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great Hotel but a little too much for the type of hotel”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here Saturday night as we were in town for a family event. It was Labor Day weekend and we didn't book ahead online. Everything descent in San Fernando Valley was sold out. Luckily we were able to get the last of two rooms at this hotel. The price was higher than the previous times we have stayed her. Rooms have been remodeled since our last stay. We got room 300 which was a little larger than the other rooms we have stayed at before. Everything was clean, from the bed sheets to the carpet and bathroom. Breakfast was the usual. I guess not any worse than Mc.Donalds and probably better. My only complaint is that my daughter left her pillow in the room and I called Sunday to ask if they can put it aside for me and someone would go pick it up. The person who answered told me someone from lost and found would contact me. It is now Tuesday night and I am still waiting for the call. It is her favorite pillow and I doubt anyone would be interested in keeping it so I don't understand why they didn't return my call, unless they threw it. If it wasn't for that I'd give it a 5.

Room Tip: Corner rooms tend to be larger.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MFU1979
HolidayInn V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We would like to apologize for not getting back with you sooner, but rest assured once we see the lady in-charge of lost and found will definitely ask her to call you right away.

Please accept our sincere apology.

The whole staff and management appreciate your very kind and very warm review.

Hope we can be of service to you and your family again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hebrew first
Castaic, California
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great location, excellent staff and service, definitely will use this hotel again, recommended if you prefer a great vacation.
Thank you to all that made our stay memorable.
Breakfast was clean and the breakfast lady was always with a big smile.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank GreatTravel1
HolidayInn V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
It was a pleasure to be of a service to such a wonderful guest like you, and hope to see you again.

Thank you so much for a great review.
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We love the accommodations and breakfast. It was so nice that they could give us kosher food. We also really like John, the owner of the hotel. The only problem we had was not being able to go swimming in the pool because it was out of order. Otherwise, it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lindaschwartz
We all will wait for your come back. Greatly appreciate the good comments.

Thank you so much.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel twice within the last 60 days. After the first experience I thought they were just having a bad few days, until this time. The first visit was 4 days. This pre-paid stay by my business was 5 days. The staff's persona seemed to have a not to care attitude. Pillows terrible. Breakfast presentation was less than acceptable; ie, cold processed ham sandwich meat folded in half for the breakfast meat on multiple days, pancake machine didn't function properly, cereal labeled incorrectly, the layout/flow and presentation was unlike any other HIE I have stayed. Finally, the coffe in the urns was luke warm to cold on more than one occasion.

At $154 per night the price for the value was way overpriced. Only stayed the whole time because of prepayment and proximity to the business I was conducting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
The whole staff and management would like to extend our apologies for your inconvenience. We all are striving to deliver a great service that our guests would love us, unfortunately we missed on your expectations, and would like to be able to correct them by hoping to be able to be of a service to you the next time.

Thank you for your comments and appreciate your time.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Overall, my stay was more than satisfactory.

However, I am confused as to why you have a "green" policy as it wasn't followed during my stay. I not only hung up my used towels/bath mat, but I made my bed. I also left a note for housekeeping stating that I needed no change of towels or bedding during my 4 day stay (and stated the date I was checking out).

But they kept on changing/washing!?!?!?

I support your "green" policy ... let's use it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Catherine H
HolidayInn V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words and great review.

Appreciate your time.
Culver City, California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was great to stay in, the area is not the greatest, but it is surrounded by car dealerships which is not that bad as others mentioned. The hotel just got remodeled and the rooms are nice! Check in was fast and Ali was very helpful! Was there for one night, but will definitely stay here again! The rooms are quiet and with clean sheets. This hotel is your best option compared to the other horrible hotels around! Parking and breakfast is free!

Room Tip: Request room away from the 405. Did not stay on the 405 side, but ill recommend you to
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for spreading the good news. We all greatly appreciate your kind respond, and hopefully you'll stay with us again.
California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel wasn't bad overall but there was a plastic sheet underneath the bottom sheet on the bed. Did they think I was a bed wetter? I've never been to a hotel that had a plastic sheet. It was uncomfortable to sleep on. A pretty dicey neighborhood, homeless people wandering around. But the hotel itself did seem safe. I picked it because it was close to where I was working but I'm not sure I'll stay there again. The staff was very nice, no complaints there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The entire staff and management would like to extend our apologies if you thought that way. We didn't mean anything, those are brand new pillow-top bed. And we are all hoping that we would be given a chance to meet with you and stay with us again. Please accept our apologies.